UPGRADE

natport

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2002
okay
i admit a made a mistake of choosing my new com which i bought in end of last year.
its a p4 1.8ghz(256cache) 265 sdram(yucks) geforce2mx64mb(dont laugh pls)
and now i desparately need an upgrade!!!!!!
pls help me make my choice
i know the processor is powerfull enough
but the graphics card sux and the ram i really killin
so which 1?
card or ram(change wit mobo)

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
You won't see much of an improvement, in fact probably none, by changing your motherboard and RAM. You'd be better off selling the whole thing as a system and starting over. But you'd see a huge improvement in games with a new video card, like 3 times the framerates.

What's the frequency, Kenneth?

KillerAngel

Distinguished
May 29, 2002
What mobo and o/s are you running? If you have XP then you
need another 2x128mb sticks of ram. If you have a board you can o'c, you're ok. You need to chuck the GF2. If you can afford a GF4Ti4xxx, you've done good.

bront

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2001
You won't see much of an improvement, in fact probably none, by changing your motherboard and RAM.
That's not entirely true, as you will get faster load times for apps, a quicker responcive system, and gains in office and memory intensive apps in addition to some in games.

Now, I would recomend going with a new board and memory. And I say this because you can eventualy replace the CPU with a much nicer one when you get a good board. (Heck, if you upgrade it slowly but surely, you'll end up with your old computer as a spare box.

However, if games are all you care about, get a new video card, as it will have the most direct impact on games.

What sort of budget are you looking at with your upgrade?

"Search your feelings you know it to be true, I am your... twin sister" - Darth Vader

natport

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2002
my budget is around $150(i'm from malaysia BTW)
i cant afford a geforce 4 ti4600
or u all think i should wait till the prices drop and get more cash
my geforce2mx really sux though its 100 times better than my previous mahcine(p2 450mhz,128 ram,sis 6236)

natport

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2002
i have the intel845dwn(ORIGINAL INTEL)mobo
which dont have many feats i suppose
my os is a windows ME(damn)
or shall i add 256 ram into my com?
will it boost my com performance?

bront

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2001
Do you have a 423 or 478 socket P4?

If you have a 423, don't bother, save up for a new comp, or get a new video card (GF4 TI4200 or ATI 8500) for a quick fix.

"Search your feelings you know it to be true, I am your... twin sister" - Darth Vader

williamc

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2002
Save your money for a new system man, your shooting yourself in the foot buying upgrades on your mobo ram or proc without doing all 3.

That mobo has problems and as obvious from your other thread i don't recommend you buy a high end graphics card while your still working with it. Save up 800 dollars and upgrade all 4 at once. You'll be alot happier that way, guaranteed. Don't skimp on cheap parts when upgrade either.

The itsy bitsy spider climbed up the empires state building, along came goblin, wiped the spider out

natport

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2002
i think mine is socket 478 i think but not sure
yeah i'll save up money to upgrade it next year or i just go for the geforce 4 now
thanks guys