Power Consumption

snowc

Distinguished
Oct 1, 2001
What kind of power consumption am I looking at if I buy a geforce4 v8460? Does the amount of power differ that much between that card and the geforce3? Does anyone know if the cards have good powersaving features that cut down on power the less pressure you put on the card such as games or just sitting idle?
They should post it on the websites, I know they used to post power consumption on electronics products long ago, what happened.
I know my amd 1800+ chip makes the meter wheel on my house spin fast even idle, I don't know if I want to ad to that rpm hehe.

Clarentavious

Distinguished
May 24, 2002
If you are referring to the Ti 4600's, they consume quite a bit of power. I know Antec now has 550 Watt TruePower power supply's Most houses in the u.s. are wired for 115 volts. Most in europe are 230. I don't know, if you have a really old house (like 60 years old) that has frail copper wires running through a ton of insulation in the attic or something, then maybe there is reason for concern. But your electric bill is going to be high to a certain extent for even using a computer like that.

I've always wondered. We are running into some issues like this. A regular electrical outlet socket on a house can only handle so much. I've heard of 300 watt space heaters. Voltage plus ampage (amps) equals watts or something. No idea, I'm not an electrical engineer. But we have heatsinks with fans now that are 7100 RPM (that's very noisy). Eventually we are going to reach a limit here for desktop PCs and workstations not plugged into some big arse mainframe server with a nuclear power plant nearby. And it seems that time may be sooner than I expected.

The power needs to be there, the heat is being generated. It can't keep going on forever.

snowc

Distinguished
Oct 1, 2001
I am only concerned on the electric bill, and I don't like using a lot of electricity either. Not untill some genius figures out a better enviromental friendly way to create it.

williamc

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2002
Environmentally friendly graphics cards? May the gods of computers smite the tree huggers. To quote the GTA3 radio commercial: "Who cares if it only gets 3 miles to the gallon, i'm a soccer mom, not a conservationist".

More power, better graphics. Graphics please.

The itsy bitsy spider climbed up the empires state building, along came goblin, wiped the spider out