GTS, MSI 645 ultra conflict??!!!

enginekhaled

Distinguished
Jun 7, 2002
problem description:
my asus v7700 sreis geforce 2 GTS (200/333) is causing glitches and corrupted deformed nonsense textures (look like spikes or sharp shapes) in d3d games and cause soft colored spots in open gl games and colored pixels in windows xp desktop .

after so many trials to solve the problem ..i didn't succeed so i decided to try my GTS on another pc and it worked just fine ,,, not a single glitch just perfect ..and i also trried another video card on my pc which is Geforce 2 mx400 64 mb by msi and it worked just fine ,, and didn't do any of these glitches ,,, so it's obvious that there is some sort of hardware conflict between my pc and the GTS ..i don't know ,,just help me if u can ,,, i am very disappointed ,, what shall i do ,, here is some extra info about my pc and the other pc

my pc (the one that causes the problem)
MSI 645 ultra DDR333 (chipset sis961) (motherboard)(2002)
256 MB pc2700 corsair (cl2 capable-333mhz ) (2002)
asus v7700 series geforce 2 gts 32mb pure (2000)
pentuim 4 1.8 ghz 256 kb cach
(bios defaults and performance defaults are loaded and didn't solve the problem )

the other pc (the one that worked just fine)
gigabyte for pentium 4 socket 423 (onboard sound) intel chipset
256 mb pc133
msi geforce 2 mx400 64mb tv/out

conclusion : the GTS is not defected but it only acts very bad on my PC what do u think ...what could be wrong in my pc is it the fast memory ??? is it the motherboared ?? please help

the symptoms casued by the GTS are most likely due to clock speed ,video memory speed or overclocking issues ,,, and non of these is available i even tried to underclock the video card core and memory to values below the stock clock .. and it didn't solve the problem ..tried so many detenator drivers from guru3d .. still nothing is solved , patches for windows xp pro and even updating the motherboared bios to 1.7, 1.6, 1.5 and nothing happened ,,
please help me

enginekhaled

Distinguished
Jun 7, 2002
how can i check the agp frquency/voltage levels ,, and how can i change them ??
ps ,, i have MSI 645 ultra (MS-6547) motherboard and it doensn't have any control on agp frqeuency or voltage

thanks for ur help

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Sometimes you can change them slightly in BIOS. Look for the hardware monitor in BIOS, then if everything looks good there, take it into windows and use the hardware monitor provided with your motherboard's CD to recheck.

What's the frequency, Kenneth?

phsstpok

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
I seem to remember reading about a lot of problems with V7700 but this is going back quite a while. It wouldn't work at all on Abit KT7 boards.

Here's <A HREF="http://www.viahardware.com/faq/kt7/faqgraphics.html#Why does my system not boot with the Asus V7700 AGP Card?" target="_new">a blurb on the KT7/V7700 problem</A>. I know it's not exactly relevant. Just want to show you that I'm not making this up.

I'll try to dig up some more information and update. I'm pretty sure it's a problem with the V7700.

<b>I have so many cookies I now have a FAT problem!</b>

enginekhaled

Distinguished
Jun 7, 2002
well i checked the link u sent me ,,, and thanks for the advice .. here is the agp voltage in bios 3.126 v now accorfing to the info in the link u sent me , i have to raise it to 3.4 v .. now i have 2 question for u

1- will that my any means damage my display adapter?
2- how can i raise the agp voltage .from windows if possible because i don't have any control n agp voltage in bios ,,, just the pc monitoring ..
thanks for ur help

phsstpok

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
I can't tell you what is the max safe voltage but I think 3.3 volts is the norm for AGP 1X only. For AGP 2X and 4X the voltage norm is 1.5 volts (maybe that's just for 4X).

I'm not sure what you are looking at.

I/O voltage is spec'd at 3.3 volts. Is I/O voltage what you mean? I/O voltage is for PCI Bus, chipset and memory on an SDRAM motherboard like mine. DDR motherboards have a separate voltage for memory, 2.5 volts I think.

My Epox motherboard has 3.4 volts for I/O voltage as the lowest setting going up to 3.75 volts max, so I have to assume the Epox engineers have decided that 3.4 volts is safe.

If the I/O voltage IS what you are talking about I've been running one overclocked system at 3.5 volts for 19 months. I wouldn't go any higher than that and I can't guarantee that it is safe.

Please be careful with P and N Control. I believe the values at that Abit resource site are for Via chipsets only. I don't know if other chipsets use the values in a different way. I recall one poster here at THG rendering his motherboard permanently useless with the wrong P CTRL and N CTRL values. You can usually increase over the default values but never decrease from defaults.

<b>I have so many cookies I now have a FAT problem!</b>