Ordering XPS

Last response: in Computer Brands
July 22, 2005 1:25:02 PM

I have seen where some have complained about receiving or not receiving
confirmation, etc., when ordering a system.

I just ordered the XPS Generation 5 desktop 3.2.
at 9:18 I received the acknowledgment and 9:28 the Confirmation Texas
time. I went to the web site put in my reference numbers and I'm listed
on the web site. Its in production. All in an hour or so.

I guess that may make me a Dell-Bot. :-)

Can someone tell whether this system will be much faster then my
Dimension 8300 3.0, 1 gig memory I think 533 and 128 Video Card

The XPS is Pentium® 4 Processor 640 with HT Technology (3.20GHz, 800
FSB), 1GB Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM at 667MHz and 256 Video card.

I couldn't resist the 30% or $741 discount. I already have a Ultrasharp
2000 Dell monitor.

Also could someone direct me to this special site for the XPS'. I have
a gorgeous XPS 3.0 Inspiron laptop. No problems, just want to know
where I get this special service from.

Thanks Joan

More about : ordering xps

Anonymous
July 22, 2005 1:26:50 PM

Wrong....Dell Home Customers: Save 34% off the Dell Dimension XPS Gen 5!
Expires on 2005-07-27 11:59:59 - $787.78

Joan Hansen wrote:

> I have seen where some have complained about receiving or not receiving
> confirmation, etc., when ordering a system.
>
> I just ordered the XPS Generation 5 desktop 3.2.
> at 9:18 I received the acknowledgment and 9:28 the Confirmation Texas
> time. I went to the web site put in my reference numbers and I'm listed
> on the web site. Its in production. All in an hour or so.
>
> I guess that may make me a Dell-Bot. :-)
>
> Can someone tell whether this system will be much faster then my
> Dimension 8300 3.0, 1 gig memory I think 533 and 128 Video Card
>
> The XPS is Pentium® 4 Processor 640 with HT Technology (3.20GHz, 800
> FSB), 1GB Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM at 667MHz and 256 Video card.
>
> I couldn't resist the 30% or $741 discount. I already have a Ultrasharp
> 2000 Dell monitor.
>
> Also could someone direct me to this special site for the XPS'. I have
> a gorgeous XPS 3.0 Inspiron laptop. No problems, just want to know
> where I get this special service from.
>
> Thanks Joan

Anonymous
July 22, 2005 7:17:00 PM

Faster than 8300? Not much--maybe 2x.

I just went from P4 3.0 (HT) 533Mhz to XPS5 with Pentium 840 with HT (that's
dual core 3.2GHz)
The XPS is about twice as fast.

"Joan Hansen" <user@my.net> wrote in message
>I have seen where some have complained about receiving or not receiving
>confirmation, etc., when ordering a system.
>
> I just ordered the XPS Generation 5 desktop 3.2.
> at 9:18 I received the acknowledgment and 9:28 the Confirmation Texas
> time. I went to the web site put in my reference numbers and I'm listed on
> the web site. Its in production. All in an hour or so.
>
> I guess that may make me a Dell-Bot. :-)
>
> Can someone tell whether this system will be much faster then my Dimension
> 8300 3.0, 1 gig memory I think 533 and 128 Video Card
>
> The XPS is Pentium® 4 Processor 640 with HT Technology (3.20GHz, 800 FSB),
> 1GB Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM at 667MHz and 256 Video card.
>
> I couldn't resist the 30% or $741 discount. I already have a Ultrasharp
> 2000 Dell monitor.
>
> Also could someone direct me to this special site for the XPS'. I have a
> gorgeous XPS 3.0 Inspiron laptop. No problems, just want to know where I
> get this special service from.
>
> Thanks Joan

July 22, 2005 7:17:01 PM

Thanks Ned.

Ned Hamilton wrote:
> Faster than 8300? Not much--maybe 2x.
>
> I just went from P4 3.0 (HT) 533Mhz to XPS5 with Pentium 840 with HT (that's
> dual core 3.2GHz)
> The XPS is about twice as fast.
>

> "Joan Hansen" <user@my.net> wrote in message
>
>>I have seen where some have complained about receiving or not receiving
>>confirmation, etc., when ordering a system.
>>
>>I just ordered the XPS Generation 5 desktop 3.2.
>>at 9:18 I received the acknowledgment and 9:28 the Confirmation Texas
>>time. I went to the web site put in my reference numbers and I'm listed on
>>the web site. Its in production. All in an hour or so.
>>
>>I guess that may make me a Dell-Bot. :-)
>>
>>Can someone tell whether this system will be much faster then my Dimension
>>8300 3.0, 1 gig memory I think 533 and 128 Video Card
>>
>>The XPS is Pentium® 4 Processor 640 with HT Technology (3.20GHz, 800 FSB),
>>1GB Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM at 667MHz and 256 Video card.
>>
>>I couldn't resist the 30% or $741 discount. I already have a Ultrasharp
>>2000 Dell monitor.
>>
>>Also could someone direct me to this special site for the XPS'. I have a
>>gorgeous XPS 3.0 Inspiron laptop. No problems, just want to know where I
>>get this special service from.
>>
>>Thanks Joan

Anonymous
July 22, 2005 9:52:51 PM

Twice as fast in what?

I would have expected about 10-15%. Her 8300 is a pretty powerful machine.
She didn't go dual core.

Don't get me wrong, I'm jealous, and it is a great machine, but I don't
think it will be mind blowingly faster.

Joan: You still continue to amaze me.

Tom
"Ned Hamilton" <noone@nc.rr.com> wrote in message
> Faster than 8300? Not much--maybe 2x.
>
> I just went from P4 3.0 (HT) 533Mhz to XPS5 with Pentium 840 with HT
> (that's dual core 3.2GHz)
> The XPS is about twice as fast.
>

> "Joan Hansen" <user@my.net> wrote in message
>>I have seen where some have complained about receiving or not receiving
>>confirmation, etc., when ordering a system.
>>
>> I just ordered the XPS Generation 5 desktop 3.2.
>> at 9:18 I received the acknowledgment and 9:28 the Confirmation Texas
>> time. I went to the web site put in my reference numbers and I'm listed
>> on the web site. Its in production. All in an hour or so.
>>
>> I guess that may make me a Dell-Bot. :-)
>>
>> Can someone tell whether this system will be much faster then my
>> Dimension 8300 3.0, 1 gig memory I think 533 and 128 Video Card
>>
>> The XPS is Pentium® 4 Processor 640 with HT Technology (3.20GHz, 800
>> FSB), 1GB Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM at 667MHz and 256 Video card.
>>
>> I couldn't resist the 30% or $741 discount. I already have a Ultrasharp
>> 2000 Dell monitor.
>>
>> Also could someone direct me to this special site for the XPS'. I have a
>> gorgeous XPS 3.0 Inspiron laptop. No problems, just want to know where I
>> get this special service from.
>>
>> Thanks Joan

Anonymous
July 22, 2005 9:52:52 PM

Oh no Tom, you amaze me. This might be my last Dell. Some things I
have read about Longhorn (now Windows Vista) did not appeal to me.
Woman's instinct

Tom Scales wrote:
> Twice as fast in what?
>
> I would have expected about 10-15%. Her 8300 is a pretty powerful machine.
> She didn't go dual core.
>
> Don't get me wrong, I'm jealous, and it is a great machine, but I don't
> think it will be mind blowingly faster.
>
> Joan: You still continue to amaze me.
>
> Tom
> "Ned Hamilton" <noone@nc.rr.com> wrote in message
>
>>Faster than 8300? Not much--maybe 2x.
>>
>>I just went from P4 3.0 (HT) 533Mhz to XPS5 with Pentium 840 with HT
>>(that's dual core 3.2GHz)
>>The XPS is about twice as fast.
>>

>>"Joan Hansen" <user@my.net> wrote in message
>>
>>>I have seen where some have complained about receiving or not receiving
>>>confirmation, etc., when ordering a system.
>>>
>>>I just ordered the XPS Generation 5 desktop 3.2.
>>>at 9:18 I received the acknowledgment and 9:28 the Confirmation Texas
>>>time. I went to the web site put in my reference numbers and I'm listed
>>>on the web site. Its in production. All in an hour or so.
>>>
>>>I guess that may make me a Dell-Bot. :-)
>>>
>>>Can someone tell whether this system will be much faster then my
>>>Dimension 8300 3.0, 1 gig memory I think 533 and 128 Video Card
>>>
>>>The XPS is Pentium® 4 Processor 640 with HT Technology (3.20GHz, 800
>>>FSB), 1GB Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM at 667MHz and 256 Video card.
>>>
>>>I couldn't resist the 30% or $741 discount. I already have a Ultrasharp
>>>2000 Dell monitor.
>>>
>>>Also could someone direct me to this special site for the XPS'. I have a
>>>gorgeous XPS 3.0 Inspiron laptop. No problems, just want to know where I
>>>get this special service from.
>>>
>>>Thanks Joan

Anonymous
July 23, 2005 12:11:25 AM

I'm watching the Refurb site today for a good deal on a 9100 dual core.
Don't need it, but.....
> Oh no Tom, you amaze me. This might be my last Dell. Some things I have
> read about Longhorn (now Windows Vista) did not appeal to me.
> Woman's instinct
>
> Tom Scales wrote:
>> Twice as fast in what?
>>
>> I would have expected about 10-15%. Her 8300 is a pretty powerful
>> machine. She didn't go dual core.
>>
>> Don't get me wrong, I'm jealous, and it is a great machine, but I don't
>> think it will be mind blowingly faster.
>>
>> Joan: You still continue to amaze me.
>>
>> Tom
>> "Ned Hamilton" <noone@nc.rr.com> wrote in message
>>
>>>Faster than 8300? Not much--maybe 2x.
>>>
>>>I just went from P4 3.0 (HT) 533Mhz to XPS5 with Pentium 840 with HT
>>>(that's dual core 3.2GHz)
>>>The XPS is about twice as fast.
>>>

>>>"Joan Hansen" <user@my.net> wrote in message

Anonymous
July 23, 2005 12:11:26 AM

Not too many choices today. The one for $729 looks decent. Probably
faster then my XPS P4. :-( I wasn't sure what the duel core would gain
me, so I didn't choose it. I play one game at a time, like UT2004, Halo
and sometimes on the net. The 8300 plays them great. My other games
are Adventure and most PC's play them. I do a lot of video and making
DVD's combined with family pictures, videos and music.

I will never knock the 8300, quiet and never any problems. It takes
everything I throw at it.

Tom Scales wrote:
> I'm watching the Refurb site today for a good deal on a 9100 dual core.
> Don't need it, but.....
> "Joan Hansen" <user@my.net> wrote in message
>
>>Oh no Tom, you amaze me. This might be my last Dell. Some things I have
>>read about Longhorn (now Windows Vista) did not appeal to me.
>>Woman's instinct
>>
>>Tom Scales wrote:
>>
>>>Twice as fast in what?
>>>
>>>I would have expected about 10-15%. Her 8300 is a pretty powerful
>>>machine. She didn't go dual core.
>>>
>>>Don't get me wrong, I'm jealous, and it is a great machine, but I don't
>>>think it will be mind blowingly faster.
>>>
>>>Joan: You still continue to amaze me.
>>>
>>>Tom
>>>"Ned Hamilton" <noone@nc.rr.com> wrote in message

Anonymous
July 23, 2005 12:51:57 AM

I'm just watching. Sometimes it takes days to get exactly what I want. My
Inspiron 9300 took me a week to find the perfect one.

Amazing laptop.

Tom
"Joan Hansen" <user@my.net> wrote in message
news:o RcEe.47814$up5.14901@lakeread02...
> Not too many choices today. The one for $729 looks decent. Probably
> faster then my XPS P4. :-( I wasn't sure what the duel core would gain
> me, so I didn't choose it. I play one game at a time, like UT2004, Halo
> and sometimes on the net. The 8300 plays them great. My other games are
> Adventure and most PC's play them. I do a lot of video and making DVD's
> combined with family pictures, videos and music.
>
> I will never knock the 8300, quiet and never any problems. It takes
> everything I throw at it.
>

> Tom Scales wrote:
>> I'm watching the Refurb site today for a good deal on a 9100 dual core.
>> Don't need it, but.....
>> "Joan Hansen" <user@my.net> wrote in message
>>
>>>Oh no Tom, you amaze me. This might be my last Dell. Some things I have
>>>read about Longhorn (now Windows Vista) did not appeal to me.
>>>Woman's instinct

Anonymous
July 23, 2005 7:07:04 AM

Joan Hansen wrote:

> Oh no Tom, you amaze me. This might be my last Dell. Some things I
> have read about Longhorn (now Windows Vista) did not appeal to me.

So what's next - a Mac?
Anonymous
July 23, 2005 10:57:45 AM

I've been considering that for several years. One day my nephew will
talk me into it. :-) God willing.

Sparky Spartacus wrote:
> Joan Hansen wrote:
>
>> Oh no Tom, you amaze me. This might be my last Dell. Some things I
>> have read about Longhorn (now Windows Vista) did not appeal to me.
>

> So what's next - a Mac?
Anonymous
July 24, 2005 6:16:16 AM

Agreed. Intel's current dual cores will actually be slower than the higher
clock speed single cores in most applications. For the same price, I'd go
for higher clock speed single core. It'll be quite a while before most
applications are able to take advantage of that second core...
--
Charles C. Shyu
http://home.earthlink.net/~shyuc/shyu.html

> Twice as fast in what?
>
> I would have expected about 10-15%. Her 8300 is a pretty powerful
> machine. She didn't go dual core.
>
> Don't get me wrong, I'm jealous, and it is a great machine, but I don't
> think it will be mind blowingly faster.
>
> Joan: You still continue to amaze me.
Anonymous
July 24, 2005 8:50:53 AM

Thanks Charles, I thought I did the right thing. I remembered reading
somewhere about not getting the dual core, etc......

Charles C. Shyu wrote:
> Agreed. Intel's current dual cores will actually be slower than the higher
> clock speed single cores in most applications. For the same price, I'd go
> for higher clock speed single core. It'll be quite a while before most
> applications are able to take advantage of that second core...
July 24, 2005 10:56:10 PM

As long as you have no problems you're great. As soon as you try to get
service for the XPS you are in deep trouble.

After spending huge amounts of time trying to get through to the "SPECIAL
XPS QUEUE" with my Gen 1. I made a presidential complaint.
Now I have a second XPS gen 4 and years later still Dell still hasn't
resolved the issue. After having literally held for 30 hours in the space
of
5 days for Dell XPS support and trying to contact Dell management to
complain. I was given a contact procedure to follow. (3 weeks ago)

Friday, I had to report another trouble and followed there procedure:

Call 1-800-624-9896
Push 1
Enter 728-3787
When prompted re-enter the ext #.

Result after entering code:

"The number you have reached is no longer in service. Please hang up and
dial 1-800-999-3355" which is the main Dell line that does not even handle
support.

I was lucky, that day I only lost 2 hours before I got through. 4 Transfers
to the wrong queue.

Believe me I am not anti Dell. Just anti Dell XPS. XPS is a decent system
other than the poor design of the CD opening cover, but the extremely poor
service makes it an undesireable choice. (The service itself is good when
you get someone who will talk to you about an XPS) I would strongly urge
anyone to really think twice before purchasing an XPS. I am also hoping
someone in Dell Management will finally get a clue, and try to FIX this
problem.
3 (or is it 4) years should be long enough to resolve the issue.

!