Upgrade, CPU, Graphics, Both?

bonesdad1

Distinguished
May 25, 2002
For a few weeks, I have been planning to upgrade to a GeForce 4 4400, but recent posts by others have me thinking...

My current system:

Duron 900 on a ECS K7S5A w/256k
Hercules 3d Prophet graphics (64 MB, Kyro II chip)

With posts about CPU bottlenecking and upcoming greater graphics chip. I am now considering upgrading to an Athlon XP 1800+ or greater and reducing my graphics upgrade to a GF4 4200 (Gainward probably). Then, when the next greatest video chip appears, I can upgrade again...of course, by then I will have to upgrade my CPU/mobo/wardrobe again...what do ya'll think? I'd like to keep the total upgrade cost to 300 or less dollars...

goldarn the pusherman

phsstpok

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
CPU bottlenecks are a factor but any modern video card is a major jump over your Kyro II on any system.

I just put an 8500LE into my system and underclocked the system. (I wanted to test to see if the card would be good for my nephew's 900 mhz Duron system. My Tbird is normally at 1500mhz for games). I set my Tbird to just 600 mhz, FSB and memory at 100mhz, just to be sure my performance was low enough. I scored 4579 3DMarks (3DMark2001, not SE) and 98.3 fps in Quake 3, Demo002.

Anyway, my point is that CPU performance is a factor but there is still value in upgrading the video card. If you want to upgrade the rest of the system later then that same video card will just perform even better.

If you want to overclock, some of those Ti4200s are reaching Ti4600 speeds.

If you don't plan on upgrading the Duron until after the next generation of video card comes along, you can spend big money now and get a little more life from your video card or you can spend less and upgrade everything, videocard included, much later (and possibly cheaper).

The Radeon 8500LE OEM that I bought was cheap at $99 from Newegg.com. It's stock clocked at 250/275 w/ 3.3ns memory.

This must be some kind of Ati revision because the 250/275 clock is the same as the 8500 OEM (not LE) and that card didn't have 3.3ns memory but 3.6ns memory.

My system is based on an Epox 8KTA3PRO mobo which has SDRAM.

<b>I have so many cookies I now have a FAT problem!</b>

chuck232

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2002
This must be some kind of Ati revision because the 250/275 clock is the same as the 8500 OEM (not LE) and that card didn't have 3.3ns memory but 3.6ns memory.
Are you sure you just didn't get a fluky card?? Maybe it's actually a R8500 OEM in R8500LE packaging? This seems kinda weird. I also posted this in your other thread.

As for the upgrade, you'd be much better off upgrading everything right now. If you only upgraded your video card, it really wouldn't be worth the money unless you got something like a GF2 GTS.... If you got a Ti4400, you'd have to switch it out the next time you upgrade CPUs anyways, so it's not really worth it. So how I see it, get the Ti4200 and a AXP proc.

AMD Athlon XP 1800+/266 FSB PROCESSOR CPU - RETAIL - $108
GAINWARD/CARDEXPERT GeForce 4 Ti 4200, 3.5ns, 64MB DDR - RETAIL - $169

That comes out under $300. Also any Ti4200 card would beat out the R8500LE and almost always a R8500. That Ti4200 has 3.5ns, which are good for overclocking. You could save another $15 off that card if you didn't need TV-Out and DVI.

My firewall tastes like burning. :eek:

phsstpok

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
I already replied to your other post.

Here is my reasoning for a Radeon 8500LE especially if the one I have can be obtained. Bonesdad1 has a Kyro II. Last I checked that would perform at Geforce2 MX levels with a Duron. A Radeon 8500LE (especially the one I have) should more than double the performance on the same system. He should also be able to get usuable performance at higher resolutions, certainly 1280x1024. Doesn't cost much but you get sizable gains.

As to why I suggest not to spend more money and your suggestion of

"AMD Athlon XP 1800+/266 FSB PROCESSOR CPU - RETAIL - $108
GAINWARD/CARDEXPERT GeForce 4 Ti 4200, 3.5ns, 64MB DDR - RETAIL - $169"

Didn't you say if he got a Ti4400 he would have to switch it out when he next upgrades the CPU. Why would a Ti4200 be better a better choice? If a Ti4200 is good enough with XP 1800+ now, as you suggest, then a Ti4400 now and adding an XP 1800 later couldn't be a bad choice either. I don't quite follow your reasoning.

I suggest the Radeon 8500LE as an interim card for about $100 today. Pocket the extra $200 of your suggestion and save it for later. A year from now that $200 will probably buy all the hardware you suggest or it can be applied toward much better hardware.

Personally, I never think of a video card as something that will last a long time. When it comes to video cards I only buy what I need today and for the near future. Too expensive to pay for future capability. Much better to spend the extra money later when it will buy more performance.

I'd choose a video card first for more performance. Upgrade the system later for a little more peformance then start over again. In fact, that is what I always do. It kind of spreads out the upgrade costs rather than in big chunks.

Incidentally, I don't think the Ti4200 alone is a bad choice. It's a great value. Is it 50% better than my Radeon 8500LE. I doubt it but it certainly costs 50% more.

I think I'm going to need a lot more performance when Doom 3 is released. This is the only game that might entice me to buy a top-performance video card. I won't buy it until I'm sure I need it.

AMD_Man

Splendid
Jul 3, 2001
I think I'm going to need a lot more performance when Doom 3 is released. This is the only game that might entice me to buy a top-performance video card. I won't buy it until I'm sure I need it.
Carmack suggests the GF4 and the R8500 will play Doom3 perfectly.

:wink: <b><i>"A penny saved is a penny earned!"</i></b> :wink:

phsstpok

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
Carmack suggests the GF4 and the R8500 will play Doom3 perfectly.
Why did ID software use an R300 to showcase Doom3 at E3?

Where is that link...I'm sure Carmack has made a reference to NV30 regarding this, as well.

Anyway, I meant that I have been a fan of the Doom series. Nothing since has matched the addictiveness of Doom II, at least not for me. (I get bored with games pretty quickly). If Doom 3 is good I will buy the hardware I need to enjoy it at its best.