Solved

Tech Help - System Interrupts Hogging 40 - 60%

Well... I am at a loss and willing to try what ever to remedy the situation.

I'm running an older rig that was meant for XP, has the specs for W7, but I never decided to make the leap with it because it was always dragged down. But now I have another system that works just fine with 7 and I'm looking to find out what the problem is with this one...

The system I'm having problems with is a HP Media Center PC m7470n.
Seems that the CPU usage is constantly around the 50% mark with windows 7 (runs flawless with xp).
I'm assuming there is a hardware/driver issue, but alas I cannot find it!!

So I'm giving my pride up and asking for some tech help.... any takers?

(A virus is out of the question, it is a clean install)

Included is a screen shot of the running processes and resource mon.
http://img819.imageshack.us/img819/5037/desktopss.png

Any suggestions...? I'm open for ideas here.
13 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about tech system interrupts hogging
  1. The best advice that I can give is for you to read this article by Mark Russinovich. It gives a very good description of analyzing this sort of problem. You might also want to check out Mark's other articles; he is extremely knowledgeable about Windows internals.
  2. Well through using his investigation tactics it leads me to a start address "ntoskml.exe!KeUpdateSystemTime+0x420" which is taking about 30% of CPU usage. Through google searching & variations it leads me to foreign websites in different languages and a kernel based keylogger..... which I don't find possible unless Windows Auto-Installed an infected driver...? I'm assuming this is all leading me in the wrong direction, unless there is something bigger that I am missing?
  3. Try Googling "ntoskml.exe!KeUpdateSystemTime"; you'll get a lot more hits (many of them in English!). The consensus seems to be that it's probably a driver issue, possibly graphics. Have you checked that all drivers are up-to-date?
  4. Yes.
    ATI Radeon HD 4670.

Up to date with the latest W7 drivers.
    There were a lot of related driver issues with my search.
    I tried disabling & uninstalling many of them 1 by 1 and nothing seemed to work.
    I also unplugged everything in the USB... doesn't seem to be any connected devices.

I'll take it my previous post was a complete miss hah.
  5. Try removing things you aren't using in bios.
  6. mhelm1 said:
    Try removing things you aren't using in bios.

Disabled everything in BIOS besides onboard video and a SATA for the hard drive.... still has the problem.

The only thing I can think of is maybe striping the actual hardware out 1 thing at a time?

I'm seriously at a loss with what is not working right.... did another clean install with no drivers installed to start from scratch again and tried all the disabling/enabling.... still no positive results.
  7. If you have a ATI Radeon HD 4670 installed, the problem is the onboard video.
    disable and see what happens.
  8. Make sure your not running Catalyst 10.5 (any one but this one)
  9. meh... i figured this wouldn't work but tried it anyways.... I guess I should have rephrased my post.

My BIOS has a "primary graphics" option... I set it to onboard from my previous post and from your recommendation set it to recognize only the PCI-E .... still nothing.
  10. Try removing the hard drive controller driver and then rebooting to reinstall it. This fixed a HP laptop with XP that had a similar problem.
  11. Best answer
    5n4p said:
    meh... i figured this wouldn't work but tried it anyways.... I guess I should have rephrased my post.

My BIOS has a "primary graphics" option... I set it to onboard from my previous post and from your recommendation set it to recognize only the PCI-E .... still nothing.

I recently had a problem similar to this after I put a couple of ATI 4650's in the kid's computers. Try disabling the HD audio device. This link isn't the exact one I used, but same basic procedure...go to device manager, system devices, and disable the High Definition Audio Controller

http://www.sevenforums.com/graphic-cards/68199-ati-radeon-hd-3650-pcie-issue.html
  12. Just to bring this situation up to date... I ended up swapping out my (ATI RADEON 4670) graphics card with my other machine and Windows 7 is running flawlessly now. Even though I disabled the device and only used the on board video, it wasn't until I removed the actual hardware that the problem was resolved.
    PastorOfMuppets response could have been the correct answer, but I never got around to it. Overall, there seemed to be an issue with the graphics card and I ended up putting it in a machine that would utilize it more efficiently.

Problem solved! Thanks for the help guys.
  13. Best answer selected by 5n4p.
Ask a new question

Read More

Configuration Windows XP Windows 7