Q about detonator

AndrewT

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2001
Hi guys

Is there anyone who managed to run detonator driver and switch from monitor to tv-out (and back) easily? I still use the 2 years old Asus driver because with detonator it's such a pain on the arse to switch and back since my tv is 2 rooms away and can't see the screen to finish the clicking to set it.

Which ATI card can do monitor and tv display the same time? Something decent for gaming and other stuff, might just replace this Gef-2 GTS Deluxe with one of those instead of playing with aged Asus driver. :D

What's happening to me? First I replaced my AMD with an Intel, now GeForce with ATI. Where is it going to stop? LOL (joke)

<font color=red>Got a silent setup, now I can hear myself thinking. hmm still silence</font color=red>

flamethrower205

Illustrious
Jun 26, 2001
I haven't had issues.....u just install the driver, plug in the tv as well as the CRT monitor, then when u want to go to tv, u goto display properties, advanced, device selection, and then select TV. Make sure it's set on the correct signal (PAL, NTSC, etc).

My frog asked me for a straw...dunno what happened he's all over the place :eek:

AndrewT

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2001
Yeah I know how to do it with detonator, but it's a tad of a biotch to go through all that and having somebody screaming where to click from the other room when trying to change back. Right now I change between monitor and tv using Ctrl+Alt+T and no confirmation click or it switch back, it's way too simple to give it up for screaming every time I want to put something on tv. Detonator could use a simple switch like that, I would be using up to date driver by now.

<font color=red>crashman</font color=red>, great it makes me want to start looking for a decent ATI card. Even those there is like 6+ different models to pick from, any suggestion for a mostly gamer but all around decent Ati card? I know not to buy OEM because they're worst than the retail, but that's where my knowledge end about those cards. My last Ati card was an expert@play something 8Mb years ago. :)

My system info in case you know any compability issues...

2.0A 512K P4 Northwood
Abit TH7-II
2x128 Mb PC800-45 8 chips Samsung ECC RIMM
AWE 128 sound (PCI)
D-Link DE-528 Ethernet (PCI)
30 Gig Maxtor <font color=red>(PM)</font color=red>
40 Gig Seagate <font color=red>(PS)</font color=red>
HP 9500 Series CDR-RW <font color=blue>(SM)</font color=blue>
Acer 50x CD-ROM <font color=blue>(SS)</font color=blue>
Asus GeForce 2 GTS Deluxe 32 Mb <font color=yellow>(AGP)</font color=yellow>
Logitech Optical Wheel Mouse <font color=green>(USB)</font color=green>
Logitech Wingman Extreme Digital 3D Joystick <font color=green>(USB)</font color=green>
SanDisk flashcard reader <font color=green>(USB)</font color=green>
Enermax 550W Dual fan power supply
O/S Win98SE 4.10.2222 A

<font color=red>Got a silent setup, now I can hear myself thinking. hmm still silence</font color=red>

phsstpok

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
S-Video out is great on a Radeon 8500. My old All-in-Wonder (original) required the resolution setting for TV and monitor to be the same (800x600 or 640x480) and refresh rate to both be 60hz. When I wanted to use a better resolution and refresh rate on my monitor I had to reboot the system. The 8500, though the resolution must still match the TV, allows me to set the monitor's refresh rate to anything I want. The resolution for TV can be 640x480 to 1024x768. (I'm not sure there are any analog TVs that can do justice to the latter. My old TV sure can't).

<b>I have so many cookies I now have a FAT problem!</b><P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by phsstpok on 06/08/02 11:25 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

AndrewT

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2001
If you know how to do it then please feel free to tell us. I have a feeling I'm not alone with this question. :)

AndrewT

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2001
Great, I use my monitor at 1024x768 so it would be perfect (no clue about what the tv can hendle). Which 8500 would you say is the better one?

phsstpok

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
The retail ATI 8500 128MB is theoretically the fastest. Just make sure it has video out.

If you are looking for a bargain and you live in the USA read <A HREF="http://forumz.tomshardware.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=faq&notfound=1&code=1" target="_new">my other thread</A> about the 8500LE that I bought at Newegg.com. It overclocks beyond the retail speeds but even stock at 250/275 vs the retail model's 275/275, it's pretty nice for just $99.

<b>I have so many cookies I now have a FAT problem!</b>

AndrewT

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2001
ok thanks, then I'm going to keep an eye on the prices for regular retail 8500 with video out. :) Don't want to buy something again just to see the price fall 10% the next week.

<font color=red>Got a silent setup, now I can hear myself thinking.... great silence</font color=red>

flamethrower205

Illustrious
Jun 26, 2001
hmm, actually, what kind of keyboard do u have? cause I know that most of the new keyboards have extra buttons which u can assign in windows....mine is like that.

My frog asked me for a straw...dunno what happened he's all over the place :eek:

phsstpok

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
You'll be waiting for ever for the lowest prices. They keep dropping, but I can sympathize.

Prices will likely continue to drop in anticipation of and then after the release of ATI's R300 boards followed by nVidia's NV30 boards. After that we can wait for those items to drop in price, and so on, and so on.

To the best of my knowledge this is the first time that a latest generation video card has been available for under $100. Of course, when I say latest generation I mean a generation that is currently available for purchase, not a generation that is in pre-production. I think this makes the Radeon 8500LE a ground breaking product.

For me this the first time I didn't get a video card that is at least two generations old since my first 3D card (if you can call it a 3D card). That card was an ATI Rage I card, purchased in 1996. It never played anything other than the one included game, Mech Warrior. I think I paid $225-$250 for that card.

<b>I have so many cookies I now have a FAT problem!</b>

AndrewT

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2001
MS Internet Keyboard, no pro just regular. Got .. back, forward, stop, e-mail, search, favorites, web/home, my computer, calculator, sleep keys.

<font color=red>Got a silent setup, now I can hear myself thinking.... great silence</font color=red>

AndrewT

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2001
yeah I know, the waiting game is deadly, you will expire before there is the right price of the right product (and then it's an old product because there is already 3-4 newer ones out doing a lot more than the one you're about to get LOL). Just waiting for having enough of playing with this card and old driver. :) Unless there is a real simple sollution to switch between monitor and tv with a detonator driver, then this card will stay a little longer (like another 5-6 months).