Sign in with
Your question

Ati 8500 OEM S-Video Pinouts?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
June 9, 2002 4:16:58 PM

A standard 4-pin S-Video cable does work on this card but my TV doesn't support S-Video. There are 3 extra pins on the 8500's connector. Does anyone know if any of those pins carry Composite Video?

Now, I could build a cheap breakout circuit like <A HREF="http://www.hut.fi/Misc/Electronics/circuits/svideo2cvid..." target="_new">this one</A> but it degrades the signal. If the signal is already available then I would use that instead.

<b>I have so many cookies I now have a FAT problem!</b>
June 9, 2002 5:18:51 PM

Should be since I do have a <A HREF="http://andrewt1.tripod.ca/svideo_rca_adapter.jpg" target="_new">Svideo to RCA adapter</A> that I got with my GeForce 2 GTS Deluxe card. Stores should carry it, or if nothing else then order one from Asus.

<font color=red>Got a silent setup, now I can hear myself thinking.... great silence</font color=red>
June 10, 2002 1:02:02 AM

forgot to say that the picture is a 7 pin not the regular 4 pin s-video, it's just damn bad quality because my camera doesn't like it when I'm too close to something.

not doing edit because then you might never notice it :p 

<font color=red>Got a silent setup, now I can hear myself thinking.... great silence</font color=red>
Related resources
a b U Graphics card
June 10, 2002 7:03:14 AM

If you would have bought the Retail card, you would have gotten two adapters with it, a DVI to VGA for the second monitor port, and an ATI S-Video to Composite adapter dongle. You would have also got an S-VIdeo cable and a Composit cable. I would guesse that the combined value of these parts is around $40. Anyway, you can order a replacement dongle from ATI.

What's the frequency, Kenneth?
June 10, 2002 11:56:53 AM

Uses an S-Video to Composite dongle?

I guess that means the extra pinouts don't carry Composite video.

Does the dongle appear to have room for a circuit in it?

I wonder if it just has a capacitor like the circuit in my link.

Anyway, it doesn't really matter. I don't have a big need to connect my computer to the TV I have now. When I replace the TV it will have an S-Video connector.

Never really thought about the added value of cables with the retail 8500. At least I got an extra long S-Video cable with the OEM 8500.

June 10, 2002 12:02:37 PM

Thanks.

a b U Graphics card
June 10, 2002 8:50:05 PM

The dongle is actually just a connection for those three pins, like you said. Having the dongle available is a lot easier than wiring your own.

What's the frequency, Kenneth?
June 11, 2002 1:53:33 AM

Thanks!

!