Distinguished
Jun 10, 2002
HERE ARE MY SPECS
1900+ XP
512 DDR (266)
K7S5A (ECS)
RADEON 8500 64mb (RETAIL)
WINDOWS XP PRO

I have all the latest drivers for everything and I have flashed my bios to the latest bersion. I get 8100 on 3dmark 2001se is this good? I don't think it is what is the secret for better performance and what are some settings I could change to get better fps in games? BESIDES turning of FSAA I already did that.

PEACE MuS@ShI

10GHZ

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2002
sounds alrite, my HIS Excalibur 8500 retail get's around 8300, i'm runnung xp1.6, 256mb ddr266, win98se
ok here are the list of things that i can think of which u can try 2 get more points

trun off vertical sync, disable dithering, disable w buffer, disable alternate pixel center.

set ram 2 cas2, enable fast write, set AGP aparture size to 128mb, enable read syncronization,set read to write wait state to 1, disable all other AGP read or write delay timing

some of those setting you might have already tweaked, some you may not have.

Clarentavious

Distinguished
May 24, 2002
Ah yes, faggoty footware, I mean um, let's see.

Go into your advanced tab under display properties (I'm assuming you already know how to do this). Go to your Direct3D settings. Set your mipmap detail level to either high performance or best performance (I'd recommend high so you don't destroy your image quality).

Then, under more Direct3D, turn V-sync off. And, limit render no more than X frames ahead to 1. I've found that if you turn it above 3, it will slaughter your multi-texturing fill rate.

Also up the amount of system memory used for textures in PCI mode.

Under your OpenGL panel, check fast linear mipmap filtering. Turn V-sync off. And, disable anisotropic filtering (either that or don't set it above 2x).

Also make sure you are running in 16-bit high color when this is available (Morrowind, for example, forces you to use 32-bit true). And, don't set your refresh rate stupendously high (I wouldn't recommend above 85).

-----

Benchmarks don't lie :)