GeForce 4 for Modeling?

OptimusPerrine

Distinguished
May 22, 2002
I'm building a new system to use while I build my 3D modeling skills (3DMax and Maya). This is the first time I've done this and I've been absorbing MASSIVE amounts of information (mostly off Tom's Hardware -THANKS TOM & COMPANY). I'm not sure if I've made the best choices, but you gotta take the leap sometime, right? The hardware I've ordered so far is:

Gigabyte GA-7VRXP
Athlon 1900+
Corsair 512Mb XMS2700

All that I have left to order (besides eventual upgrade of existing HDD) is a graphics card. Remaining budget is about $250. I've almost purchased G4 Ti4400 by Gainward or Abit, but have held off due to confusion.

My question is: <b>Since I'm not using this machine primarily for gaming, should I get a "workstation" card or will G4 work just fine?</b> If workstation, then where can I find reviews? Can I find one for $250?

---------
What if the Hokey Pokey really IS what it's all about?<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by optimusperrine on 06/11/02 11:49 AM.</EM></FONT></P>

williamc

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2002
Been several problems reported by users trying to use that Gigabyte board with the GeForce 4's. Try running a search on it on these boards. Just be sure when you buy that you have the option to return it if your not satisfied since you already ordered the motherboard. only problem with TI 4400's is slightly decreased 2d visual quality from the 4600's. Other than that you should be able to find a one available for around or just over 250 bucks.

The itsy bitsy spider climbed up the empires state building, along came goblin, wiped the spider out

OptimusPerrine

Distinguished
May 22, 2002
So if I don't go for the GeForce, is there a quality alternative for 3D modeling? Radeon, perhaps?

---------
What if the Hokey Pokey really IS what it's all about?

dttdar

Distinguished
Apr 5, 2002
Although I don't have first hand experience, I've heard many people say (even GF4 owners) that the Radeon 8500 has better 2d image quality. I did see one review where the GF4 outperforms the Radeon on 3d modeling.

----------------
sorry, but I'm still stuck in the Pentium III world