Cisco AP1200 broadcast issue

Hi all,

I am using Cisco Access Point 1200 and I found some problems and I
hope someone can help me.

With using the AiroPeek, although I disabled the broadcast key
rotation, the AiroPeek still found that the AP1200 send out "Ethernet
Broadcast" continuouly using the radio interface. Is it normal? For
security reason, is it possible to disable the broadcast? Thanks.

Regards,
Dovelet

On 16 Jun 2004 00:03:19 -0700, doveletchan@yahoo.com.hk (dovelet) wrote:

~ Hi all,
~
~ I am using Cisco Access Point 1200 and I found some problems and I
~ hope someone can help me.
~
~ With using the AiroPeek, although I disabled the broadcast key
~ rotation, the AiroPeek still found that the AP1200 send out "Ethernet
~ Broadcast" continuouly using the radio interface.

Turning off broadcast key rotation doesn't disable broadcasts;
it just makes your wep key easier to crack.

~ Is it normal? For
~ security reason, is it possible to disable the broadcast? Thanks.

I'd recommend that you turn on security features if your goal is
security, rather than disabling broadcasts. However, if your goal
is to disable broadcasts, then I suppose you could configure a
MAC layer access list on the Dot11Radio interface to keep the AP
from transmitting broadcasts/multicasts. Of course, this may
break things like DHCP and ARP ...

doveletchan@yahoo.com.hk (dovelet) wrote in message news:<e4386eeb.0406152303.2b614b7f@posting.google.com>...
> Hi all,
>
> I am using Cisco Access Point 1200 and I found some problems and I
> hope someone can help me.
>
> With using the AiroPeek, although I disabled the broadcast key
> rotation, the AiroPeek still found that the AP1200 send out "Ethernet
> Broadcast" continuouly using the radio interface. Is it normal? For
> security reason, is it possible to disable the broadcast? Thanks.
>
> Regards,
> Dovelet

"broadcast key rotation" is an altogether different feature from
"broadcast SSID name in beacon". The latter feature can be disabled
under the Express Setup page if you're using the web gui- although, as
discussed at great length elsewhere, there's no useful purpose to be
served by doing so. Securing your network by disabling SSID broadcast
is like securing your house by taking the building number off of your
mailbox.

-Gabriel