garyda

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2003
Getting ready to upgrade from ME to XP Pro. I need to update my Sound Blaster, video card, and HP printer drivers. Do I need to delete my old drivers or will the XP drivers delete the old drivers. I think I need to delete my printer drivers for sure but I can't remember. Any help would be appreciated.

harvyk

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2004
If there is one thing I will credit MS with is the fact that drivers will work with versions of the product that they are not suppose to...

If you simply to the upgrade the drivers will be upgraded if possible however you will probably not have to worry about incompatability... The upgrade process will do that sort of thing for you...

You can know all that you can know about them and yet they will still suprise you at least once a week...

sturm

Splendid
Its more work but fewer possible problems, DO A CLEAN INSTALL.
Also make sure that all the programs will work in xp. I had to get new burning software and antivirus when I upgraded from me to xp.
Its also possible that there may not be drivers for xp if the equipment is too old. so make sure there is.
You wont regret going to xp though from ME.

dhlucke

Polypheme
It is in your best interest to do a fresh install. ME is the plague and I wouldn't want to have a trace of it left behind.