Sign in with
Your question

Power Button Fading In/Out - Partial Power

Last response: in Windows 7
July 27, 2010 5:10:27 PM

I was recently using my Gateway desktop and the power in the whole house went out for about 10 seconds. I left the PC off for about 10 mins but when I turned it on, the light on the power button fades in and out constantly like it's hibernating or something. But it still boots up and loads Windows 7 fine. Except all USB peripherals and PCI wireless card have no power. Same thing happens in safe mode. But they do work outside of the OS (like I can use the keyboard to enter the bios but once Windows loads, the keyboard turns off).
July 27, 2010 9:03:39 PM

Quote:
Maybe Windows got corrupted from the sudden shutdown, try doing a windows repair using your windows disk.

I tried it but it didn't detect anything wrong. I can boot up into Windows and get to the desktop and everything seems to work, it's just usb devices and the PCI wireless card. The same hardware works fine outside of this current installation of Windows so I'm almost certain its a software problem.
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
July 27, 2010 9:05:59 PM

I would try unplugging it from the mains and leaving it for a few hours before plugging it in again. May do no good, but it doesn't hurt to try.
m
l
Related resources
July 27, 2010 9:37:45 PM

Ijack said:
I would try unplugging it from the mains and leaving it for a few hours before plugging it in again. May do no good, but it doesn't hurt to try.

I don't think it's a hardware problem. All devices work fine in other operating systems including a separate Windows 7 partition.
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
July 28, 2010 6:18:23 AM

In that case it must be that some files have got corrupted. I'd be inclined to back up your data and reinstall the OS. It's a bit of a cop-out, but probably easier in the long run. Who knows what more subtle problems there might be?
m
l
!