Sign in with
Your question

Programs to showoff a Radeon 8500?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
June 12, 2002 6:54:57 PM

Now that I have a shiny new video card what programs can I use to showcase it and where can I get the programs?

I'm not talking about games but rather demonstration programs, like the Nature Test in 3DMark2001.

<b>I have so many cookies I now have a FAT problem!</b><P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by phsstpok on 06/12/02 02:58 PM.</EM></FONT></P>
June 12, 2002 7:48:35 PM

you can go to the ati website and find some demos...
i d/led the TruForm and Nature demo...
get'em <A HREF="http://www.ati.com/developer/demos.html" target="_new">here</A>

:eek:  <b>Who fixed <font color=red>ATI</font color=red>'s leaky faucet??</b> :eek: 
June 12, 2002 7:53:53 PM

Commander Keen
www.shareware.com

The itsy bitsy spider climbed up the empires state building, along came goblin, wiped the spider out
Related resources
June 12, 2002 8:44:50 PM

When I tried earlier I looked all over the Ati site and couldn't find anything. Thanks!

<b>I have so many cookies I now have a FAT problem!</b>
June 12, 2002 11:53:28 PM

wow Island 3 is impressive !!!

lagger

<font color=red><b> Signature removed for your sanitary protection</font color=red></b>
June 13, 2002 2:15:28 AM

Hmmm, the demos aren't working for me. This was in the error.log file.

<font color=red>; ATI Sushi Error Log
; Created Wed Jun 12 22:11:11 2002

[N:\1Sushi\RunTime\WinD3D\AwFn.cpp] (line 386): D3DAw Error: AwInitWindow - Unable to find an acceptable depth/stencil format
[N:\1Sushi\RunTime\Main.cpp] (line 431): AwInitWindow returned FALSE! Unable to create window! Quitting!</font color=red>

Do you know what it means?

<b>I have so many cookies I now have a FAT problem!</b>
June 13, 2002 3:48:00 AM

Found some partial answers at Google Groups.

1) Beta drivers disable 8-bit Stencil (whatever that means) by default. (Thought I was using an official driver, 9031 (Win9x).

2) One user said that the above can be enabled with a Registry hack. Change the value of all occurances of "Zformats" to 7. That's the value not the name. This worked. The demos now work but I'm seeing some strange things on my desktop. When I select a task on the taskbar the icon turns all black. In Display properties the image of the two displays (1 and 2) under the Displays tab are invisible. Nothing else seems wrong. Strange.

<b>Update:</b>
The black out thing only happens after I run Ati's Nature demo and it clears up when I run another demo. I think that one demo is just messing up the video card's palette.

<b>I have so many cookies I now have a FAT problem!</b><P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by phsstpok on 06/12/02 11:54 PM.</EM></FONT></P>
!