Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Google to Unveil Chrome OS Tomorrow?

Last response: in News comments
November 18, 2009 12:43:18 PM

From what I've seen from Android this is going to be great. Google could well be the next Microsoft.
Score
November 18, 2009 12:51:04 PM

Unless it will run main stream Windows apps, it will most likely be another Linux or MacOS. Dare I say it... will it run Crysis? :) 
Score
Related resources
November 18, 2009 1:05:01 PM

I agree with Extreme, unless it works fine (no emulation needed) with windows apps or other programs I don't see this being anything other than another Linux based OS. Now "IF" it does work with all the games and programs on windows now then I just may be a nice alternative to windows.
Score
Anonymous
November 18, 2009 1:14:51 PM

Has anyone noticed the colors in that cute poke-ballesque thingamabob? Red, blue, green, and yellow; just like the Windows logo. I wonder if that's coincidence. And no mrddr6, Google will not be the next Microsoft unless game and software companies everywhere start programming for Chrome. The majority of consumers will buy the OS which is compatible with the widest range of software apps. That is why Apple and Linux are still niche markets.
Score
November 18, 2009 1:29:05 PM

If you expect it to run Windows Apps, then you're an idiot. Windows runs Windows apps. Google is not making their own version of Windows. Of course this will be another flavor of Linux. Not saying that's a bad thing, just pointing out the (not so) obvious. Think people!
Score
November 18, 2009 1:31:00 PM

quickbeam1213Has anyone noticed the colors in that cute poke-ballesque thingamabob? Red, blue, green, and yellow; just like the Windows logo. I wonder if that's coincidence. And no mrddr6, Google will not be the next Microsoft unless game and software companies everywhere start programming for Chrome. The majority of consumers will buy the OS which is compatible with the widest range of software apps. That is why Apple and Linux are still niche markets.

Dude those are the colors of the word "Google" :) 

This OS should be interesting to say the least. Maybe it won't be anything big, but a spark in competition would be nice. Still any successful OS will need to have the compatibility that Windows has.
Score
November 18, 2009 1:34:46 PM

GlacierFreezeIf you expect it to run Windows Apps, then you're an idiot. Windows runs Windows apps. Google is not making their own version of Windows. Of course this will be another flavor of Linux. Not saying that's a bad thing, just pointing out the (not so) obvious. Think people!

I'm pretty sure they weren't "expecting" it to run Windows. They were just pointing out that they don't think the OS will replace Windows or be a real competitor without having large-scale compatibility.
Score
November 18, 2009 1:58:26 PM

It is a linux, so no games. That has been sure for a long time. But if people just want to surf in the net, and use some word-prosessor, this can be good, if it's easy enough to use!

Yeah many Linux people says that Linux is easy enough even today, but for any normal Mr. Smith, it's not so easy to get everything working without some help from "real" linux user. If Google can make Android so easy to use and install, that everybody can use it without much effort, Android may have a future! I doupt that it ever will be a gaming platform, but for any normal computer user, it may be alternative. Google is so big name at this moment, that it is possible. One other company that could really do it, would be Microsoft itself. If Microsoft would make an easy to use, standardiced Linux distribution it allso would have some change to make it through, but even to them it would not be an easy task. Linux is a great platform, but even now it need some extra punch. It has been coming more, and more user friendly all the time, so it is possible to that one day we have Windows, Linux and Apple Os for customers to chose from. I hope that Android will bring that day closer!
Score
November 18, 2009 2:00:05 PM

If I could get better frame rates I would download/buy it.
Score
November 18, 2009 2:28:56 PM

Google does have the major cash flow to really push their own Linux distro.
Score
November 18, 2009 2:37:43 PM

I'm hoping Chrome OS will open the door for Linux into the budget user market. If you can grab a solid footing into that market you can grow from there.

The vast majority of computer owners probably don't go beyond office type applications and internet surfing, these people also need something thats super user friendly or else they get frustrated and quit on the technology... Google could make this user-friendly non-windows environment happen.
Score
November 18, 2009 2:41:43 PM

It could establish itself in the nice up-and-coming MID/UMPC market, along with in-dash stereos. That last one in particular could be a great market for it. Incorporate all of their google crap in it (maps, searching, mail) and make a very user friendly UI. Most OEM car stereos, even the ones that have a lot of features, have a crappy interface and are not customizable in the least bit!

Disclaimer: this coming from someone building his own CarPC, ha. I just need to finish the electrical wiring and it'll be done!!!
Score
November 18, 2009 2:46:31 PM

Google has the name to pull off something big. If Google could take OpenOffice and clean it up to better compete with Microsoft Office so the typical user never felt they were lacking anything, it could catch on. Netbooks will be a good market they really attack in the beginning where games and major commercial apps like Photoshop/CAD/Engineering are really important, it could take a foothold. It needs to be a work out of the box situation for sure to catch on. Hopefully they can pull it off.
Score
November 18, 2009 3:05:48 PM

The leaked ChromeOS was nothing but a very slightly modified OpenSuSE...so unless some major changes were made since...it's still nothing but OpenSuSE with Chrome browser installed.
Score
November 18, 2009 3:21:00 PM

They will probably try to target low-end devices like cheap netbooks. People don't use those for much other than surfing. I doubt they will bundle OpenOffice with it though. They'll push Google Docs instead. If they can get some major OEM's on board then it may very well be a success in that market. I don't expect to see Alienware, for example, offering it as an alternative to Windows though :)  And yes, I fully agree that Google has the name recognition to help. You say "Linux" to the average PC user (who would pronoince it "Ly-Nux") and they have no idea. Everyone has heard of Google.
Score
November 18, 2009 3:35:29 PM

there are just too many pc's with windows,
i'm afraid there's no way to compete with that.....
Score
November 18, 2009 3:49:15 PM

Definitely looking forward to this, though compatibility will be essential if I am going to switch over. Regardless, I will tinker with it when it finally does come out.
Score
November 18, 2009 3:52:25 PM

Get ready to have your entire life Indexed for the world's Corporations to see and sell.
Score
November 18, 2009 5:15:42 PM

Listen... the Chrome browser is buggy as heck and I can't stand it at the sites I go to regularly. I've filed numerous bug reports and when version 3 came out, I tried it again. Still screwed up. Why can IE, Firefox, Opera, and Safari render most sites fine but Chrome messes up on 5-10% of 'em?

I hope their OS is nothing like their browser. If it is... no thanks.
Score
November 18, 2009 5:53:00 PM

Ehsan Wthere are just too many pc's with windows,i'm afraid there's no way to compete with that.....

Never say never.

Edison could have said "There are just too many people using candles, no way to compete with that" but he didn't.

Innovation combined with determination always wins out.

That being said I will wait and see about this chrome, but so far I haven't seen anything impressive.
Score
November 18, 2009 6:14:19 PM

This wont kill windows, but it might kill Ubuntu or someother linux distro.
Score
November 18, 2009 6:37:08 PM

extremepcsUnless it will run main stream Windows apps, it will most likely be another Linux or MacOS. Dare I say it... will it run Crysis?

MS will hold it's spot for a while longer on the games side but even that is numbered. The only reason I have Windows in my house (XP) is for games, Ubuntu is my main OS.
This is another nail in the MS monopoly. There are many Linux distros but they are all basically the same foundation and if a Linux program runs on one flavour it will run just fine on the rest. Google will bring many software developers to the Linux table, a good thing in my opinion.
Score
Anonymous
November 18, 2009 6:41:36 PM

IMHO: Chrome OS is another cog in the Google Online Machine, much like Android. They have been positioning themselves to conquer the online space with their Google Apps.

For a lot of causal or even not so casual users I could see them benefiting from something like this - assuming it ends up to be simple and easy to use.

In time it might be that a windows PC becomes a more specialized device as more an more functions make sense to do in an online app.

example, I could see a family might just have one powerful windows PC that covers gaming, video/photo processing needs, and other specialized software. Day to day needs could be sufficed with inexpensive laptops running essentially just a browser.
Score
November 18, 2009 6:43:56 PM

MS is helping kill PC games with their Crapbox 360 and GFWL is a freaking DRM infected joke. The more PC games go down the tube the reason to hold onto Windows because of games fades.
I remember years ago many game developers jumped on the bandwagon and were coding for Linux, id Software was in the lead. You could find boxed games for sale in stores for Linux but sadly the OS was not ready yet but times are a changing. Google may well bring game developers back.
Score
Anonymous
November 18, 2009 7:16:33 PM

ChromeOS is minimalist install of linux that will run Chrome browser. Basically more Google spyware inserting itself into your life at the OS level.

Score
November 18, 2009 7:20:58 PM

To me, Linux (unfriendly) + Google (Friendly) = Good product, even in Beta
Score
November 18, 2009 7:52:59 PM

Linux is indeed unfriendly to the Windows user. Blanket statements calling it "unfriendly" even from 10 years ago are pretty silly though.

I'm curious about the Chrome OS and what it might bring about though. I don't know if it is a linux variant, but if it is: it just makes me question why they'd maintain their own branch rather than adopting one of the major linux variants like Ubuntu, Fedora or Suse?

Then again, google is bigger than any of those companies so it might be the best thing to happen to linux yet.
Score
November 18, 2009 9:30:47 PM

extremepcs will it run Crysis?
seriously its getting old now

Score
November 18, 2009 9:36:40 PM

so what would the OS look like, would it be a windows clone or a mac clone?
seriously though. I'm a huge google fan and love the google apps and "cloud computing" I even recommended to my bosses to ditch microsofts expensive office server and go with google for mail and document collaboration. If CHROME OS is to stand out from Ubuntu, it really should take advantage of cloud computing, as well as other features that make google great. Honestly a CHROME OS Server would make much sense then a company can have a "mini google" on their ethernet where they can run, connect and take advantage of all the google app functions without being exposed to outside forces on the internet.
Score
November 18, 2009 10:11:25 PM

I think this is just an expansion on the idea of internet based apps (ie Google Docs). Basically, ChromeOS will come with the Chrome Web Browser and few other things. Most likely a yet another new Linux distro. Could also be a spin off of the Android OS.
Score
November 18, 2009 11:04:36 PM

microsoft has pretty much monopolized the market. People are unwilling to switch OS simply because most softwares are windows compatible only while developers won't develop programs for other OSes simply because consumers aren't using the other OSes.
Score
November 19, 2009 2:06:31 AM

will google going to unify all the linux distro ?
Score
November 19, 2009 7:35:44 AM

NivaLinux is indeed unfriendly to the Windows user. Blanket statements calling it "unfriendly" even from 10 years ago are pretty silly though.I'm curious about the Chrome OS and what it might bring about though. I don't know if it is a linux variant, but if it is: it just makes me question why they'd maintain their own branch rather than adopting one of the major linux variants like Ubuntu, Fedora or Suse? Then again, google is bigger than any of those companies so it might be the best thing to happen to linux yet.

The average user wants to see there photos and go onto MSN messenger and chat to there friends - currently unfriendly for the average joe but i do agree with you its not totally unfriendly but the average joe will think otherwise
Score
November 19, 2009 4:00:41 PM

So they lifted the lid and said they were gonna lift the lid tomorrow?
Score
November 19, 2009 5:03:12 PM

you know it sounds to me a return of the good old days... going back to the the old IBM 3270 Dumb terminals, Everything on the cloud, except with out the green screen and blinking curser.
Score
November 20, 2009 4:15:13 AM

You want facts? "what if your browser was your operating system. new OS no kernel, no all.... BIOS was redesigned?"

It's like they made a mobile OS and applied in a computer

See the Chrome's detailed review: BEST OR WORST?

Sounds promising, but only for my netbook.. there's no way in hell I will use this for my desktop (just in case BIG G decided to used this on PC in the future)
Score
!