911 access with a Nextel without service

Tags:
  • Nextel
  • Wireless
  • Internet Service Providers
Last response: in Network Providers
a b F Wireless
March 8, 2005 7:42:28 AM

I seem to recall that even a wireless telephone without an account can still
make an emergency 911 call. Does anyone know if this also applies to
Nextels?

More about : 911 access nextel service

March 8, 2005 5:42:03 PM

YES, it does...
"J&D Schnoor" <jimdianes@frontiernet.net> wrote in message
>I seem to recall that even a wireless telephone without an account can
>still make an emergency 911 call. Does anyone know if this also applies to
>Nextels?

Related resources
March 8, 2005 5:42:04 PM

It applies to ALL cell phones. Federal law.

On Tue, 08 Mar 2005 14:42:03 GMT, "Ken" <n9hq@sbcglobal.net> wrote:

>YES, it does...
>"J&D Schnoor" <jimdianes@frontiernet.net> wrote in message
>>I seem to recall that even a wireless telephone without an account can
>>still make an emergency 911 call. Does anyone know if this also applies to
>>Nextels?

Anonymous
a b F Wireless
March 8, 2005 9:19:47 PM

In message <hiir215aqlk0s7u4441kidagstlloi296v@4ax.com> Mark
<me@privacy.net> wrote:

>It applies to ALL cell phones. Federal law.

My understanding is that Nextel does not fall under this law. However,
Nextel does still offer 911 service for phones without active service.

--
Never try to extort more than it would cost to have you killed.
March 9, 2005 10:09:13 AM

On Tue, 08 Mar 2005 18:19:47 -0700, DevilsPGD <ihatespam@crazyhat.net> wrote:

>In message <hiir215aqlk0s7u4441kidagstlloi296v@4ax.com> Mark
><me@privacy.net> wrote:
>
>>It applies to ALL cell phones. Federal law.
>
>My understanding is that Nextel does not fall under this law.

They most certainly do. Any cell provider in the US does.
Anonymous
a b F Wireless
March 9, 2005 4:55:36 PM

In <kqpt211km47k7knsk5503r0qckl3m3vupm@4ax.com> Mark <me@privacy.net> writes:

>On Tue, 08 Mar 2005 18:19:47 -0700, DevilsPGD <ihatespam@crazyhat.net> wrote:

>>In message <hiir215aqlk0s7u4441kidagstlloi296v@4ax.com> Mark
>><me@privacy.net> wrote:
>>
>>>It applies to ALL cell phones. Federal law.
>>
>>My understanding is that Nextel does not fall under this law.

>They most certainly do. Any cell provider in the US does.

Let's not go there vis-a-vis Nextel. Thank you.

dannyb@panix.com
March 9, 2005 4:55:37 PM

On Wed, 9 Mar 2005 13:55:36 +0000 (UTC), danny burstein <dannyb@panix.com>
wrote:

>In <kqpt211km47k7knsk5503r0qckl3m3vupm@4ax.com> Mark <me@privacy.net> writes:
>
>>On Tue, 08 Mar 2005 18:19:47 -0700, DevilsPGD <ihatespam@crazyhat.net> wrote:

>>>My understanding is that Nextel does not fall under this law.
>
>>They most certainly do. Any cell provider in the US does.
>
>Let's not go there vis-a-vis Nextel. Thank you.

Yea, yea. They're in full compliance with federal laws. I've got a handfull
of old unsubscribed Nextel's that work fine with 911. That's the ONLY number
they can call.
Anonymous
a b F Wireless
March 13, 2005 4:27:48 AM

"Mark" <me@privacy.net> wrote in message news:lo6u215jmt9aipuuumbs3ra85qev5qtu12@4ax.com...
> On Wed, 9 Mar 2005 13:55:36 +0000 (UTC), danny burstein <dannyb@panix.com>
> wrote:

>>>They most certainly do. Any cell provider in the US does.
>>
>>Let's not go there vis-a-vis Nextel. Thank you.
>
> Yea, yea. They're in full compliance with federal laws. I've got a handfull
> of old unsubscribed Nextel's that work fine with 911. That's the ONLY number
> they can call.

Isn't it also federal law, all new cell phones must have GPS?
Anonymous
a b F Wireless
March 15, 2005 12:02:02 AM

yep.

"John Eckart" <JEckart@mail.com> wrote in message
news:o GMYd.7805$oO4.5924@newsread3.news.pas.earthlink.net...
"Mark" <me@privacy.net> wrote in message
> On Wed, 9 Mar 2005 13:55:36 +0000 (UTC), danny burstein <dannyb@panix.com>
> wrote:
>
>>In <kqpt211km47k7knsk5503r0qckl3m3vupm@4ax.com> Mark <me@privacy.net>
>>writes:

>>>They most certainly do. Any cell provider in the US does.
>>
>>Let's not go there vis-a-vis Nextel. Thank you.
>
> Yea, yea. They're in full compliance with federal laws. I've got a
> handfull
> of old unsubscribed Nextel's that work fine with 911. That's the ONLY
> number
> they can call.

Isn't it also federal law, all new cell phones must have GPS?
Anonymous
a b F Wireless
March 24, 2005 8:05:06 PM

John Eckart wrote:

> Isn't it also federal law, all new cell phones must have GPS?

Actually, no.

The FCC requires, by a certain date, for all wireless carriers in the US
to be able to identify and report a customer's location with an accuracy
of around 100 meters or so when they dial 911. But this DOESN'T mean
that GPS must be used to make that a reality. In fact, GSM carriers in
the US are trying a system where they don't have to install GPS or any
other sort of additional hardware on their user's handsets. Instead,
they're using a system to triangulate the location of the cell phone
using cell towers (whose locations are always known, with or without
GPS). The advantage is that none of the end users need to upgrade their
handsets to take advantage of this new system.

The CDMA carriers in the US, and Nextel, decided instead that it would
be easier to use a GPS-like device installed on new handsets, rather
than try and triangulate a position at the towers. This requires people
to upgrade their phones, but most people do this in about 18-24 months
anyway. Also, this gives the added feature that the end user can make
use of the GPS functions on their phone for non-emergency related
purposes, like getting driving directions and the like.

It turns out Nextel and the CDMA carriers were right: the GPS-based
system works really well and can be deployed very easily, while the GSM
operators are having a little bit of trouble getting their system to
work right all the time, in all locations. Triangulation isn't
impossible, just a little harder than they anticipated.

--
E-mail fudged to thwart spammers.