911 access with a Nextel without service

I seem to recall that even a wireless telephone without an account can still
make an emergency 911 call. Does anyone know if this also applies to
Nextels?
11 answers Last reply
More about access nextel service
  1. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.nextel (More info?)

    yes, this applies to nextel also.

    --
    sniper0981
  2. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.nextel (More info?)

    YES, it does...
    "J&D Schnoor" <jimdianes@frontiernet.net> wrote in message
    >I seem to recall that even a wireless telephone without an account can
    >still make an emergency 911 call. Does anyone know if this also applies to
    >Nextels?

  3. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.nextel (More info?)

    It applies to ALL cell phones. Federal law.

    On Tue, 08 Mar 2005 14:42:03 GMT, "Ken" <n9hq@sbcglobal.net> wrote:

    >YES, it does...
    >"J&D Schnoor" <jimdianes@frontiernet.net> wrote in message
    >>I seem to recall that even a wireless telephone without an account can
    >>still make an emergency 911 call. Does anyone know if this also applies to
    >>Nextels?

  4. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.nextel (More info?)

    In message <hiir215aqlk0s7u4441kidagstlloi296v@4ax.com> Mark
    <me@privacy.net> wrote:

    >It applies to ALL cell phones. Federal law.

    My understanding is that Nextel does not fall under this law. However,
    Nextel does still offer 911 service for phones without active service.

    --
    Never try to extort more than it would cost to have you killed.
  5. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.nextel (More info?)

    I believe that is federal law if I am not mistaken

    --
    1badss
  6. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.nextel (More info?)

    On Tue, 08 Mar 2005 18:19:47 -0700, DevilsPGD <ihatespam@crazyhat.net> wrote:

    >In message <hiir215aqlk0s7u4441kidagstlloi296v@4ax.com> Mark
    ><me@privacy.net> wrote:
    >
    >>It applies to ALL cell phones. Federal law.
    >
    >My understanding is that Nextel does not fall under this law.

    They most certainly do. Any cell provider in the US does.
  7. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.nextel (More info?)

    In <kqpt211km47k7knsk5503r0qckl3m3vupm@4ax.com> Mark <me@privacy.net> writes:

    >On Tue, 08 Mar 2005 18:19:47 -0700, DevilsPGD <ihatespam@crazyhat.net> wrote:

    >>In message <hiir215aqlk0s7u4441kidagstlloi296v@4ax.com> Mark
    >><me@privacy.net> wrote:
    >>
    >>>It applies to ALL cell phones. Federal law.
    >>
    >>My understanding is that Nextel does not fall under this law.

    >They most certainly do. Any cell provider in the US does.

    Let's not go there vis-a-vis Nextel. Thank you.

    dannyb@panix.com
  8. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.nextel (More info?)

    On Wed, 9 Mar 2005 13:55:36 +0000 (UTC), danny burstein <dannyb@panix.com>
    wrote:

    >In <kqpt211km47k7knsk5503r0qckl3m3vupm@4ax.com> Mark <me@privacy.net> writes:
    >
    >>On Tue, 08 Mar 2005 18:19:47 -0700, DevilsPGD <ihatespam@crazyhat.net> wrote:

    >>>My understanding is that Nextel does not fall under this law.
    >
    >>They most certainly do. Any cell provider in the US does.
    >
    >Let's not go there vis-a-vis Nextel. Thank you.

    Yea, yea. They're in full compliance with federal laws. I've got a handfull
    of old unsubscribed Nextel's that work fine with 911. That's the ONLY number
    they can call.
  9. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.nextel (More info?)

    "Mark" <me@privacy.net> wrote in message news:lo6u215jmt9aipuuumbs3ra85qev5qtu12@4ax.com...
    > On Wed, 9 Mar 2005 13:55:36 +0000 (UTC), danny burstein <dannyb@panix.com>
    > wrote:

    >>>They most certainly do. Any cell provider in the US does.
    >>
    >>Let's not go there vis-a-vis Nextel. Thank you.
    >
    > Yea, yea. They're in full compliance with federal laws. I've got a handfull
    > of old unsubscribed Nextel's that work fine with 911. That's the ONLY number
    > they can call.

    Isn't it also federal law, all new cell phones must have GPS?
  10. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.nextel (More info?)

    yep.

    "John Eckart" <JEckart@mail.com> wrote in message
    "Mark" <me@privacy.net> wrote in message
    > On Wed, 9 Mar 2005 13:55:36 +0000 (UTC), danny burstein <dannyb@panix.com>
    > wrote:
    >
    >>In <kqpt211km47k7knsk5503r0qckl3m3vupm@4ax.com> Mark <me@privacy.net>
    >>writes:

    >>>They most certainly do. Any cell provider in the US does.
    >>
    >>Let's not go there vis-a-vis Nextel. Thank you.
    >
    > Yea, yea. They're in full compliance with federal laws. I've got a
    > handfull
    > of old unsubscribed Nextel's that work fine with 911. That's the ONLY
    > number
    > they can call.

    Isn't it also federal law, all new cell phones must have GPS?
  11. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.nextel (More info?)

    John Eckart wrote:

    > Isn't it also federal law, all new cell phones must have GPS?

    Actually, no.

    The FCC requires, by a certain date, for all wireless carriers in the US
    to be able to identify and report a customer's location with an accuracy
    of around 100 meters or so when they dial 911. But this DOESN'T mean
    that GPS must be used to make that a reality. In fact, GSM carriers in
    the US are trying a system where they don't have to install GPS or any
    other sort of additional hardware on their user's handsets. Instead,
    they're using a system to triangulate the location of the cell phone
    using cell towers (whose locations are always known, with or without
    GPS). The advantage is that none of the end users need to upgrade their
    handsets to take advantage of this new system.

    The CDMA carriers in the US, and Nextel, decided instead that it would
    be easier to use a GPS-like device installed on new handsets, rather
    than try and triangulate a position at the towers. This requires people
    to upgrade their phones, but most people do this in about 18-24 months
    anyway. Also, this gives the added feature that the end user can make
    use of the GPS functions on their phone for non-emergency related
    purposes, like getting driving directions and the like.

    It turns out Nextel and the CDMA carriers were right: the GPS-based
    system works really well and can be deployed very easily, while the GSM
    operators are having a little bit of trouble getting their system to
    work right all the time, in all locations. Triangulation isn't
    impossible, just a little harder than they anticipated.

    --
    E-mail fudged to thwart spammers.

Nextel Wireless Internet Service Providers