Sign in with
Your question

Easiest way to transfer files from XP to 7

Last response: in Windows 7
July 27, 2010 7:16:55 PM

Hi, I bought my mother a new vaio laptop with windows 7. Ive never used 7, so what would be an easy way to transfer all her files from her old XP dell latitude POS to the new Vaio. She has tax software, quickbooks, and a crap load of related and unrelated files.

Whats the easiest way to do this?

Thanks!

More about : easiest transfer files

a b $ Windows 7
July 27, 2010 7:29:24 PM

The programs are going to need to be reinstalled. However, you can put all the saved files on a flash drive and move them.
m
l
Related resources
July 27, 2010 8:49:32 PM

If it is indeed your mothers.. and if your mother is anything like mine.. she probably has five trillion photos of her grand children in which case you will need something a little bigger than a usb flash drive.
m
l
July 27, 2010 9:06:12 PM

ok, I figured the programs would have to be reinstalled, yeah she has a few pictures on there, its less than 60 gigs so it shouldnt be too bad. Ill give the easy transfer a try.

Thanks guys
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
July 27, 2010 11:07:12 PM

60GB?? Wow, that's a lot of pics.

I've got a couple 16GB flash drives, and most of the time that is more than enough to do transfers.
m
l
July 27, 2010 11:13:10 PM

Ok, so I was trying to install windows easy file transfer on the old XP computer and it keeps getting stuck in the same spot (finalizing installation)

anything I can do?
m
l
July 28, 2010 4:14:50 PM

Thanks for mentioning us @daship. Daship is right, our PCmover program is the ONLY software that transfers all of your programs, files and settings from an old PC to a new one. First of all, did your Mom save ALL of her old install CDs and serial numbers? Even if she did, it is going to take a long LONG time to go through each one, and who wants to do that? I am sure you have much better things to do than reinstall programs for days on end! You also won't have to try to remember how everything is set up on the old PC, nor will your Mom get upset with you when something is changed on the new one. PCmover will move the personality and functionality of the old PC, just the way she likes it, to her new PC. Less stress for her and less hassle for you. It's really a win/win because no other software can move programs, files and settings like we can and it will save you hours of time.No other software can move programs, files and settings like we can and it will save you hours of time. Go here for download and pricing information. PCmover really makes moving to a new PC hassle free. Let me know how ti goes and if you have any questions you can contact me at: andy.tolton@laplink.com. Happy Migrating!
m
l
April 29, 2013 8:34:01 AM

victordilorenzo said:
Hi, I bought my mother a new vaio laptop with windows 7. Ive never used 7, so what would be an easy way to transfer all her files from her old XP dell latitude POS to the new Vaio. She has tax software, quickbooks, and a crap load of related and unrelated files.

Thanks!

m
l
April 29, 2013 8:36:09 AM

victordilorenzo said:

Thanks!

m
l
!