Next generation cards

vidcardfanatic

Distinguished
Jun 15, 2002
I am thinking of buying a system about probably next month. I really dont want to buy a high end video card like a GF-Ti, because I want to buy either a NV30, p10 or possibly the R300. Does anyone know if these cards would require any case requirements because of their sizes, or any extra additional CPU requirements?

chuck232

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2002
By next month only the Parhelia has any chance of being released. The P10/R300/NV30 won't be released til at least This September, with the NV30 coming out closer to Christmas. For all three/four of these cards, you'll need quite the proc to utilize them fully. A GF4 Ti4600 barely maxes out at a P4 2.53GHz. As for ther size, I think they'll make them small enough to fit into cases, but you may want to wait until they release before buying a new system. The GF4 Ti4400/4600 had trouble becuase some DIMM or resistor things got in the way on the mobos. You do also realize P10/R300/NV30 will be more high end than a GF Ti right? They may need a large PSU probably at least 300W to 350W.

My firewall tastes like burning. :eek:

vidcardfanatic

Distinguished
Jun 15, 2002
Thx for the info. Is it possible that the next years PC games such as Deus Ex 2 and such will support the current GFti cards? Or is it a good think to wait for at least a month or two and then buy a graphix card?

eden

Champion
Well not as much, however Deus Ex2 uses the Unreal Engine. I would say it'll work, but just not as much powerful. It all depends on the optimization they give it. However if the R300 was commented by Carmack as the card that succesfully plays Doom III, then this card could play any game from here to 3 years!

--
Meow

HolyGrenade

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2001
... easily and comfortably play any game from from here to three years, and play any game at a decent rate for a couple of years more.

<b><font color=blue>Hand of God is a distant memory as the foot of <font color=red>Beckham</font color=red> strikes.</font color=blue></b>

AMD_Man

Splendid
Jul 3, 2001
w00t! I currently prefer ATI over nVidia because their main headquaraters are only 10 min away and so support is unbeatable. Anytime something fails, I can get a courier to give me a replacement free of charge! w00t! Plus, ATI responds to my e-mails always within 12-24 hours! I've never had a problem with ATI cards and they still provide on the spot replacement for even my old Xpression and Xpert@Play cards! w00t! Finally: Catalyst! w00t!

Sorry, I don't know what came over me! w00t! :wink:

:wink: <b><i>"A penny saved is a penny earned!"</i></b> :wink:

eden

Champion
You must be hickupping! Careful AMD_Man, w00ting leads to weird behaviour, don't wanna lose the forum angel now! :wink:

--
:smile: Intel and AMD sitting under a tree, P-R-O-C-E-S-S-I-N-G! :smile: