gf ti 4200 and a7v133 problems

Dartman

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2002
Hi folks, I just signed up here to see if anybody here can help with this new card in my old Asus a7v133 board. When I first installed it ran fine till I went to do a warm reboot then it would hang detecting the first ide channels or sometimes beep with video error codes.
I have a 300 watt supply, 4 HD's, 4 cd rom devices, 1 gig of pc 133 ram, a 1.2 Athlon with a new mondo volcano 7 cooler, 3 case fans.
It's a Antec 1088 full tower case. It always tends to show running pretty hot, but untill this upgrade basicly rock stable. I'm also running XP pro. I upgraded the cooler because it seems to be heat related but I wonder if this system just can no longer keep up with this video card so it gets hot and has problems. When it's cooler inside it does better but I never even checked the temps before becuase it never hickuped like this, I could run it for days with no problems. I'm considering getting a newer case with better cooling and room, maybe a bigger still power supply, and possibly a new Board if it turns out this old one is just at it limits.
It's a Visiontek Extasy 128 pretty much reference design with a better orb style cooler.
I don't want to upgrade the board if possible because DDR memory is still pretty spendy and I already spent a bunch on the graphics card ;)

Dartman

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2002
Well I gave up and bit the bullet. I now have a MSI Kt3 ultra ARU with all the extras and 512 of ddr 333 for now. Seems much more stable so far and runs about 10c or more cooler when idle.
Now if I can just get XP back the way I had it :) I did try turning it off but it just got hot right away again, it was better on cool days but it was always warm even with the monster cooler.

Because we can!

G

buy a water cooling.

:smile: i like toasted cpus but not AMD-inside. :smile:

10GHZ

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2002
i wish it could be that simple just " buy a water cooling kit". it takes alot of time installing the kit, modding your case... etc.
if you are concerned that your system is over heating,and dont' want2 spend a fortune on water cooling, the best way is to install additional case fan and by lowering case tempearture,your cpu and graphics card temp will drop quite a bit.

G

but this method is not efficient since a given temperature eg a nowadays 30°C from my home. i am at the limit of overheating and system crashes but it is an overclocked one.

10GHZ

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2002
true... but most plp nowaday still uses air cooled setups. only very good tweakers would set up a water block. and even thou with the surrounding temp exceeding 30c, a well configured air cooled system should cope with even the hottest environment. but if you oc, then it's another story. an overclocked system would need 2 have a very good hsf or even better, a water block.

G

I have a 31°C temp now. i already know i need a water cOOler or a peltier or even both. I can't run the Seti program without crashed my sys (it uses high cup load and high mem load at the same time but nevertheless it isn't a unmerciful oc'ing benchmark). I am heaven obligated to off my sys for a while before to restart it.

This was never happened before along a surroundang temp between 18 and 25°C.

only very good tweakers would set up a water block...an overclocked system would need 2 have a very good hsf or even better, a water block.
a good overclocked system must need 2 have a water block or even better, a peltier as well.