Sign in with
Your question

Windows 7 and Windows 8 Dual-Boot problem!

Last response: in Windows 8
September 22, 2012 7:13:51 PM

Hello, I'm having trouble booting into Windows 7 after installing Windows 8 to a second hard drive.
It's not two partitions. It's two hard drives. One has Windows 7, and the other has Windows 8.
Windows 8 is booting up just fine, but every time I try to boot into Windows 7, it just goes to the startup repair crap. It says it can't find the problem.

I know Windows 8 has a new boot loader or something like that. Is it possible that Windows 7 isn't compatible with the new boot loader?
If anybody could help me fix this, I'd be very great full.

Thanks, Chris
a b $ Windows 7
September 25, 2012 10:01:37 PM

Hi Chris,

I'm assuming you have two completely installations on separate HDD's, both with an MSR reserved partition, and both marked as "Active"? Of did you end up with a single MSR on one of the drives and not the other? Then you change the boot order with a hot key like F12 to the desired Win OS?

There is a difference in the boot blocks where the MSR on Win-8 takes 350MB as compared to 100MB for Win-7.

You might try placing the Win-8 drive on SATA_0, and the Win-7 on a higher number SATA_#, to see if that works.

They should be completely separate with their own boot blocks, so that if you unplugged the power to Win-8, Win-7 would boot properly even if not set first to boot.

m
l
a b $ Windows 7
September 25, 2012 11:17:45 PM

I have dual booted windows 7 and Windows 8 Enterprise without any problems, perhaps you had the BIOS set to boot from the wrong drive when you installed Windows 8. It should be set to boot to the windows 7 drive.
m
l
October 7, 2012 9:31:06 AM

boot loader no longer exists in windows vista above OS. You could try using your win 7 installer CD boot from there and use startup repair. I'd say it has something to do with the bootmgr not recognizing Win 7 or a missing startup file.
m
l
!