Ati drive me crazy!

flamethrower205

Illustrious
Jun 26, 2001
Ok, yesterday went over to a friend's house and since they have 2 comps on a network - one is a 1.4Ghz P4+ Radeon 32DDR + win2k, and the other is a R8500+ P4 2Ghz+ win98se. I installed counterstrike on both comps (they both have newest drivers) and the problems started happening. In CS, on the first comp, the menu was messed up, and still is, but I got it to be playable. It also gave me bs about no ogl support, so I had to use d3d, and it runs @ 28FPS @ 1024x768. The 2nd, win98, comp too had a messed up menu, but what pissed me off is it'd stop rendering if I pressed escape to goto menu and then went back! I must say this is the most disappointing and infuriating experience I've had w/ cs. I'll be making sure they get NV w/ their next comps!

My frog asked me for a straw...dunno what happened his ass all over the place :eek:

AMD_Man

Splendid
Jul 3, 2001
You're doing this to piss me off aren't you? :wink:

Anyway, did you do a clean install? ATIMax isn't ready yet (especially with the Catalyst drivers) so I can't give you that.

:wink: <b><i>"A penny saved is a penny earned!"</i></b> :wink:

flamethrower205

Illustrious
Jun 26, 2001
Lol, if u saw the look on my face 3 hours after messing with every setting and drivers, lol. Problem is, I can't try certain things, b/c if the OS crashes, I am in deep deep shiit.

My frog asked me for a straw...dunno what happened his ass all over the place :eek:

AMD_Man

Splendid
Jul 3, 2001
Backup and reformat! nVidia drivers are probably screwing things up. ATI drivers hate nVidia drivers and vise versa.

Black_Cat

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2002
I'll second that! BTW I just reached 9700 on 3dMark2001SE with an overclocked OEM Radeon 8500. However, I can only clock to 275/275 otherwise it starts to looks weird. I'm using the Catalyst drivers and 3dRage tweaks. My system is as follows:

P4 1.6a overclocked to 2.4
Asus P4S533
Corsair 512MB PC3200 DDR

To start press any key. Where's the "any" key? --Homer Simpson.

flamethrower205

Illustrious
Jun 26, 2001
How would NV drivers be messing up their systems?? They're not even installed- why would I? lol, I use NV, they both have Ati, I mean next comp they buy I'll make sure is NV.

G

Radeon 32DDR + win2k, and the other is a R8500+ P4 2Ghz+ win98se. I installed counterstrike on both comps (they both have newest drivers) and the problems started happening. In CS, on the first comp, the menu was messed up, and still is, but I got it to be playable. It also gave me bs about no ogl support, so I had to use d3d, and it runs @ 28FPS @ 1024x768. The 2nd, win98, comp too had a messed up menu... I'll be making sure they get NV w/ their next comps!

or maybe another game...
or maybe another OS with the graphics cards in the right order... like:
Radeon 32DDR + win98se
R8500+ P4 2Ghz+ win2k (or win XP)

:smile: i like toasted cpus but not AMD-inside. :smile:

G

iterate: maybe with the right OS as well...

G

note: i don't know for nvidia, but ATI drivers hate even to reinstall themself.

AMD_Man

Splendid
Jul 3, 2001
Yup, the Catalyst seems to be better at uninstalling itself however. Anyway, that's why I'm working on ATIMax. I just have to do my last exam tomorrow, and then I'll probably finish ATIMax by the end of the week. Or the first beta at least. Obviously, I'm not going to guarantee that it will work for everybody. I have a limited number of systems to test it on at home, so it could screw up someone's system. I'm taking as many precautions as possible to avoid that, by verifying that the files that ATIMax deletes are genunie ATI files (by checking the version info), but the registry scanner that is a part of the wizard that deletes ATI registry entires has no safeguards. I'm working on getting it to back up the registry (or at least portions of the registry) before any modifications are done.

G

well, then when it will work fine, send me a copy. :)

G

I'm taking as many precautions as possible to avoid that, by verifying that the files that ATIMax deletes are genunie ATI files (by checking the version info), but the registry scanner that is a part of the wizard that deletes ATI registry entires has no safeguards. I'm working on getting it to back up the registry (or at least portions of the registry) before any modifications are done.
VB can does this kind of stuff rather easily.

G

yes, but this should be more simple with VB. here is just my point.

flamethrower205

Illustrious
Jun 26, 2001
I have every version actually, so we ended up trying all (yes, I know there have been issues w/ misspelling in cs, but I have gotten those fixed). Those were the same updates I had used to update mine, and they worked.