Dimension 8300 vs 8400 case advice please

Hi,

I have a Dell Dimension 8300, with a P4 3GHz.

I'm just wondering what the difference is between the 8300 case and the
newer 8400 case. I can see an extra air inlet (I presume that's what it
is) on the front at the bottom. Is that the only difference?

Is there any great benefit to be derived from this air inlet? I thought
perhaps the extra air-flow was to handle faster processors that the 8400
came with? Is that true? (And does that imply that my 3GHz doesn't need
the extra air flow?)

If I could get a cheap 8400 case would it be worth swapping my innards over?

I can't say I've had any problems with overheating, as far as I know. We
have had hot weather latley though, and the fan has accelerated up to a
fairly high speed on a number of occasions. Would that bit of extra
air-flow prolong the life of my CPU?

Or, is all this largely pointless and not worth wasting time on? ;-)

Or maybe I should just drill some holes at the bottom/front of my 8300
case? ;-) ;-)

John

Forget about the case ventilation. There are more important things to worry
about.

"John Fryatt" <jrf1@ntlworld.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> I have a Dell Dimension 8300, with a P4 3GHz.
>
> I'm just wondering what the difference is between the 8300 case and the
> newer 8400 case. I can see an extra air inlet (I presume that's what it
> is) on the front at the bottom. Is that the only difference?
>
> Is there any great benefit to be derived from this air inlet? I thought
> perhaps the extra air-flow was to handle faster processors that the 8400
> came with? Is that true? (And does that imply that my 3GHz doesn't need
> the extra air flow?)
>
> If I could get a cheap 8400 case would it be worth swapping my innards
> over?
>
> I can't say I've had any problems with overheating, as far as I know. We
> have had hot weather latley though, and the fan has accelerated up to a
> fairly high speed on a number of occasions. Would that bit of extra
> air-flow prolong the life of my CPU?
>
> Or, is all this largely pointless and not worth wasting time on? ;-)
>
> Or maybe I should just drill some holes at the bottom/front of my 8300
> case? ;-) ;-)
>
> John

I woundn't think this was worth doing unless you have overhating
problems, but below is some info I saw posted.

Ken