Graphic CArd not detected at system Start-up G4-MX

sandyk20

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2002
Hi People,

I bought 3 NEw Graphic Cards
Geforce-4 MX 440 64 MB DDR.

Now the problem is that this cards cant be detected in the BIOS when system starsup.
My Machines Configurations.
P-III 450 MHz
Asus ZX MotherBoard.
ATX Cabinet
all with 256 MB Ram
and a Samtel Samsung 15" Monitor

I have Windows 98 and Windows ME and Win2K Professional OS installed on my machines
In Win98 when i started installing the Drivers i got a prompt that Unable to Detect the Hardware
weras it properly got installed in Win2k and Win Me machines.(but still all the 3 machines cannot show the card information when they boot-up)

I have DirectX 8.1 installed on this 3 Systems,
Now the Problem is whenever i play any 3D Games like Quake,Unreal Tournament,etc.etc.
My machines Reboots on its own or hangs.
Please let me know as why this happens and how can i make my display CArd display its info when the system Starts-up.
Please Help me out as what can be wrong. ??

Waiting for some propmy replies..
Sandy...

Jake75

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2001
Only thing I can contribute with is that your graphicscard might be incompatible with that chipset.

Newer graphicscards uses 1.5V(or something like that) and older like 3V...

Maybe your mobo is incapable of supplying 1.5V?

I´m not sure about this so you better stay tuned for some other advice :smile:

This is my old <font color=blue>Downdated</font color=blue>, <font color=green>Uneatable</font color=green> & <font color=red> rotten </font color=red> sig.

sandyk20

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2002
Now the Card doesnt gets detected when the System Boots-Up like other Cards do is one of the Problem i m facing here.

Now the biggest Problems i m having is that when i try to play Games in
640*480*16 upto 1024*768*32 any of the above Resolutions my machine Reboots :(.
I m not able to play any of the Games,,Games in which machine gets Rebooted is

Soldier of Fortun II - Double Helix
Grand Theft Auto 3
PeterPans Adventure in NEver Lands
Microsoft MotoCrossMadness.
Tony Hawks Pro Skater 3
and almost any other Game i play.
I also does hangs or Reboots when i m play my 3D ScreenSavers. :(

I didnt had problems playing ScreenSavers in my old Asus v3000 ZX 8 Mb Card.

I simply cant do anything with my new CArd.:(
I have finally tried re-insalling the OS with the latest Drivers for my CArd frm the Site and also latest Direct X from Microsoft.com
Now i have Win98 on 2 machines and Win2K on other machine.
Still Problem Exists,

If someone am0ngst u inteliigent people can help me ouit would be really really ThannkFul to U :)

I even tried mailing MSI thrice but no response from those people..
If u can talk to me on ICQ : 83861452
or msn : rahul_bbbay@hotmail.com
or yahoo : rahul_bbbay@yahoo.com

Sandy...

Jake75

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2001
Run Dxdiag and then test the D3D functions to see what the result is...
You do this by go to the start menu --> Run and then type Dxdiag.
I recently had some problems when running D3D applications, and it turned out to be the fault of DirectX (most likely)
If you don´t get any errors here, we can rule that problem out :smile:

If I understand things correctly here, your mobo have ZX chipset which is rather old.
Like I said earlier:
Some older motherboards can´t supply 1.5V to the AGP port (where the graphicscard is placed) and that might explain your "detection" problems when booting up.
However, I don´t know why it is able to run Windows if that´s the case, it should not be able to boot at all or even worse, it might fry your card.

Other than that, I can only think of that your computer might have problems supplying enough wattage to the card and therefore it reboots.
Do you know what kind of PSU (powersupply) you have in your computers?

This is my old <font color=blue>Downdated</font color=blue>, <font color=green>Uneatable</font color=green> & <font color=red> rotten </font color=red> sig.

rubikian

Distinguished
May 20, 2002
Do you overclock your PC? Restarting could be due to overclocking. P3 will restart itself or hang if the processor gets too hot. If you do overclocked, then make sure your PCI bus doesn't exceed 80MHz and your VGA bus speed not more than 40MHz. If the PCI and VGA bus exceed their limits, then your card will not be able to initialize therefore not detected.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
d00d, I think it's a weak power supply not putting enough power to the 3.3v line! It could also be a problem with the DRIVER, try an earlier version!

<font color=blue>At least half of all problems are caused by an insufficient power supply!</font color=blue>