Problems w/Geforce 4?

Drunkagain

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2002
If anyone could offer some help I’d really appreciate it. I just upgraded to a Gainward GF 4 4200 from a GF 2. I’m really liking the card but I’ve come across a few problems with some games.

In Dungeon Seige and Warlords Battlecry I’m running into problems. My pc freezes up completely and I’m stuck re-booting as the only way to get out of it. It happens completely at random. I might go an hour or two with no problems or I might play ten minutes before it happens. In shooters I run into no problems. I can play any nuber of different shoot-em-ups for hours without a hitch. Dungeon Siege and Warlords were both working fine before the upgrade. In fact I had recently finished playing through Dungeon Siege with a buddy, and did not run into a single bug the entire game.

I thought It might have been the new Nvidia drivers so I rolled back to the ones I was using before and the problems is still there. Any help at all? Thanks

I’m running a T-bird 1300 on an Abit KT7, 512 megs ram, Geforce 4 4200, 64 megs, Win XP. Nothing is overclocked

williamc

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2002
GeForce 4 cards require use of Version 27.5 or later drivers, preferably 29.42 which is the current one on the nvidia website.

I see that your not overclocked which is good. Dungeon Siege has proven to be unstable when run on overclocked pc's even though the pc might be perfectly stable doing anything else....DS just doesnt like an overclocked machine for some reason, it honestly doesnt. Personal experience with that one. I was able to run it fine on my GF4 when not overclocked though GSG (its makers) have said that it shipped with known GF4 compatibility problems an they used to the excuse that they just didnt have time before it shipped. Well, thats a load of crap but nevertheless, there are some problems with it and they won't even tell us what they are cause hey, its published by Microsoft, the people with all the best compatibility and fewest bugs right? lol. Not sure on Battlecry II whats wrong, i've played it on my GF 4 just fine as well.

All considered, i wouldn't be so quick to point to the GF4 as the problem. Make sure your motherboard and soundcard bios and drivers are fully up to date as well, it could be them.

The itsy bitsy spider climbed up the empires state building, along came goblin, wiped the spider out