chuck232

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2002
The Quadro DCC is basically a GF3 with really really optimized drivers for some programs. (like 3D programming stuff I believe or something like that.) Why do you want it?

My firewall tastes like burning. :eek:

seed007

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2002
naw cause i heard it was the best workstation card out. By the way what is the best graphics card performance wise(cost doesn't matter)

MisterMaya

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2002
Since he said DCC I think he was looking at the Quadro4 not Quadro3, unless there's something really wrong with the Quadro4 that nVidia should tell us... ;) I'm looking for a graphics workstation card too. I believe the DCC in the Quadro's name refers to "Digital Content Creation" certification, not sure exactly what that is, but *real* 3D progs like Maya (sorry, gotta diss Bryce etc. on this) like to have DCC certification, or at least the companies that make them say they do.

Personally, I've been using Maya on a GF2 GTS for quite a while, and getting very decent results as long as I use the program wisely and don't flood my scene with 80 gajillion spline patches.

I do seem to have slowdowns whenever I work with particles or paint effects, which render in the workspace as points, lines, circles, etc. so maybe workstation cards perform better with those. Anybody out there actually know if DCC helps, or if having a quadro is actually better than having a gamer card?

-- Monkeys? What does this .sig have to do with monkeys? --<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by MisterMaya on 06/18/02 07:02 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

flamethrower205

Illustrious
Jun 26, 2001
I have a Quadro DCC, and it's very nice, but u ought to go for a Quadro 750XGL imo. I've seen too many probs w/ fire gl 8800 (yes, I do go to other forums) w/ proggies especially like maya. IMO, it is the best workstation card- it kills in cad, and is insane in max (although in tom's review it was beaten on several occasions in 3d s max, I'd like to see things w/ max 5).

My frog asked me for a straw...dunno what happened his ass all over the place :eek:

flamethrower205

Illustrious
Jun 26, 2001
Oh yeah, lol, as for ur initial question. For vid cards GF3 and before, the quado series were essentially the same as their gaming counterparts except for a graphics id (and there are a few minor differences in resistors for Quadro DCC). For GF4 and Quadro 4 things are rather different in the hardware. essentially what it is is a graphics card that's very optimized for OGL, and as mentioned "certified" to work w/ pro programs.

My frog asked me for a straw...dunno what happened his ass all over the place :eek:

MisterMaya

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2002
yeah, looks nice. Just wish I wasn't so stuck for money for stuff like that. You know if the quadros actually give a significant improvement over the lower-priced gamer card equivalents?

-- Monkeys? What does this .sig have to do with monkeys? --

MisterMaya

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2002
I heard about that... don't know what exactly the deal is with it. Hardly seems nVidia would market the same damn chip at two price levels that are double each other, but hey after the customer confusion line w/ the GF 2's and 3's, I guess I wouldn't put much past them anymore. They might do some cool stuff, but deep down they're another Microsoft at heart. They just don't have quite as much power yet.

so what's that hack of yours do anyway? just some better GL mappings, or enable dormant features on the chip, or enable features that aren't really there, or what?

I'm running an old geezer GF2-GTS right now, but upgrading soon as I pick something. Currently choosing between what you said, the Quadro4 750XGL, and either a cheap radeon8500 or a Gainward GF4 7200 with vivo. Kinda looking into 3D glasses, but the only package I can find 'em in costs $450, and damn I'll take a top-notch quadro over that at that price range. The GF2 still cranks out my grafix just fine, but I work under dual-screens and my other card bit the bucket so I hafta upgrade.

-- Monkeys? What does this .sig have to do with monkeys? --<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by MisterMaya on 06/19/02 01:01 AM.</EM></FONT></P>

flamethrower205

Illustrious
Jun 26, 2001
3d glasses will be totally useless for 3d work, don't even bother w/ em. I'd forget the R8500, cause there's a good chance maya will crash w/ it, and just get a quadro 4 750GXL which can be gotten for $560. The quadro hack (which doesn't work on GF4 mind you) is called rivatuner. The reason u pay extra is for the more pro optimizations and stuff, and in the case of quadro 4, extra hardware- hey, even software drivers+ optimizations for proggies cost$$, and that's what ur paying for.

MisterMaya

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2002
hey just looked up some specs on the nvidia site... says their quadro4 cranks out between 50 and 60 mil tri's per sec, while they give more like 130 mil for the geforce 4's. I know tri's aren't everything, but that seems a big drop to me. Wonder what's up.

I see features like "hardware overlay panes" and "hardware antialiased lines" under Quadro that I can't find in feature lists for the gamer cards. Hardware antialiased lines would be a huge deal to have, I know that. Without them, particle systems will render incorrectly; that's probably the reason I have so much trouble with my particle systems right now.

Definitely appreciate your help figuring this all out btw, thanks.

MisterMaya

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2002
so why don't 3d glasses work for 3d work? I'd think the depth would be useful. Just not sophisticated enough?

Zitch

Distinguished
May 20, 2001
>quadro hack (which doesn't work on GF4 mind you) is called rivatuner.

Actually, I thought the actual driver hack was called SoftQuadro. I know, because I used this hack to turn my Geforce 2 GTS into a Quadro Pro for my G/F... :) I think Riva Tuner was used to enable the options such as hardware overlays and other features on the Quadro.

flamethrower205

Illustrious
Jun 26, 2001
Softquadro has been implemented into rivatuner now actually, so it's one nice big bundle of joy:)
Mistermaya: Hardware lines will definetly help, and on the GF4, they're that's vertices, not tri's. The Quadro 4 will have more rendering power than a GF4, so don't worry about that.
The 3d glasses are bad for a few reasons: First, they cause more eyestrain, so you won't be able to work as long. Second, a nice big crt/lcd will display as much, and you can see other things as well. imo, glasses not worth it.