Have no idea what went wrong.

ayobmx

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2010
Hi, I run windows 7 ultimate, and recently, my computer just crashed. Not in the sense of the blue screen of death, but in the sense that it just won't turn on again.

Everytime i turn it on now, everything is normal until after the "Starting Windows" screen. I can access the bios, but my computer's an HP, so there isn't really anything I can do. After the "Starting Windows" screen, the screen flickers once, and then a cursor appears. Nothing appears after that.

I've tested to see if it's the gfx by switching the current gfx with another gfx. The same outcome appears.

I'm hoping someone on this forum can help me D:

Bolbi

Distinguished
Jul 11, 2009
Turn on the computer, and start pressing the F8 key repeatedly until you see the Advanced Startup Options screen. "Repair Your Computer" should be highlighted; if not, use the arrow keys to highlight it. Then hit Enter. Once the PC has finished booting into the repair dialog, click "Startup Repair". Win7 will scan for startup errors and try to repair them. This will most likely fix the problem. let us know what happens!

Bolbi

Distinguished
Jul 11, 2009
Hey, great! You're certainly welcome!
Re:reformatting, are you sure you need to reformat? Or is it good enough for all files to be simply overwritten and the OS reinstalled? Unless you really need to reformat, the HP recovery manager can restore the PC to its factory-fresh state via a system recovery.

ayobmx

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2010

Hm, it's fine, but I still don't like the lag compared to factory - fresh . I'll try that soon though after i save my personal files.

I'm assuming factory fresh state means that all my drivers will still be there and that I wouldn't need to backup my drivers and such ?

Bolbi

Distinguished
Jul 11, 2009

That depends on whether you have updated the drivers since you got the computer. The system restore will restore the computer to exactly how it was when it left the factory.

Make sure you save all of your personal files. People tend to save some things, but forget that Favorites, email, etc.. also reside on the PC, often in some pretty hidden places. While you can easily find your music, movies, etc.. some other settings and program files may not be so easy to find and save.