Smoothvision gives me a headache

Black_Cat

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2002
I was playing MOHAA today with Smoothvision on. Perhaps it's me, but I had trouble focusing my eyes especially with rapid movements. It was giving me a headache. I turned it off and it seemed to be better.

To start press any key. Where's the "any" key? --Homer Simpson.

AMD_Man

Splendid
Jul 3, 2001
LOL! :lol: Hmm, could AA actually have a side effect? It sounds weird though. What does smoothvision do to give a headache? Did you check the refresh rate?

:wink: <b><i>"A penny saved is a penny earned!"</i></b> :wink:

Black_Cat

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2002
It's weird. I can't explain it. It's like everything is in slow motion except me and my eyes can't adjust quickly enough. My PC is on LSD! :lol: My refresh rate is at 100 Hertz.

Black_Cat

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2002
I was only playing for about 30 minutes. I haven't gotten much sleep in the last few weeks. But I'm used to that. Maybe I'll try Smoothvision again after I've gotten a good night's sleep. Until then I'll leave it off.

bront

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2001
What you're describing sounds a bit like you were getting motion sickness. It could be because of the framerates you were getting in smoothvision, or simply where you were in the game. Try lowering the resolution when you use smoothvision (you shouldn't need it as high anyway). You could also take an anti-motion sickness pill before you play.

I get sick playing many 3D shooters after a while, but I'm sensitive to motion sickness. Suprisingly, I can play space flight sims and have no problem. Maybe because there's no reference to a floor/walls.

It can be said that smoking is one of the leading cause of statistics.

Black_Cat

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2002
I've never gotten motion sickness before even on boats. Perhaps the frame rates are decreasing. I have the resolution at 1024 X 768 with all the settings on the highest setting. I'll try it at 800 X 600 and turn Smoothvision back on and see if it's better.

AMD_Man

Splendid
Jul 3, 2001
I get really sick on a rocking boat, but I never get sick from a video game. It's the actual motion that makes me feel sick, not the images.

:wink: <b><i>"A penny saved is a penny earned!"</i></b> :wink:

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
That's because of the fluid in your ear splashing around, it's the same thing that causes people to get dizzy when they spin in circles. This type of motion sickness can be had when playing games if a person moves their head a lot. Like in racing games, I usually move my head in the direction of the car.

<font color=blue>At least half of all problems are caused by an insufficient power supply!</font color=blue>

bront

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2001
The motion sickness I'm talking about involves your mind thinking you're moving while you're body is not. It's similar to why people can get motion sickness while reading in a car (Reverse the reason though).

Just because one type of motion sickness doesn't happen doesn't mean the other type might not.

It can be said that smoking is one of the leading cause of statistics.

flamethrower205

Illustrious
Jun 26, 2001
ahahaha, never gotten motion sickness....I've mae people get motion sickness by taking a 42" plasma and placving descent 3 in that w/ the turning and stuff. hehehe.

My frog asked me for a straw...dunno what happened his ass all over the place :eek: