svol

Champion
I'm planning to replace my current GeForce2 MX for a GeForce4 Ti4200. But I can't decide the following things:

1. Should I take a 64 or 128MB version? The next card after this one will probably be bought in 2003 so it has to last for long with new games at max quality.
2. Which brand is best (I know no much difference between them in performance matters), especially in OC'ing them. Can't figure out this myself because most manufactures don't place the memory chip speed (in ns) on their site.
I can choose between the following brands:
Chaintech
Leadtek
ASUS
Abit
MSI
Pine/XFX
Point of view
Prolink Pixel View
Club 3D
Gainward
Aopen

Cooling isn't important as I'm going to use my watercooling for cooling it and I already have some spare RAMsinks. Price is also some thing to keep in mind.

Thank you very much for your opinions.

<b>P75 @ 90 Mhz</b>... because I need the speed.

Black_Cat

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2002
Where have you been, Svol?

I would wait to see what the Parhelia is all about. Or even wait until the Fall and see what the new cards from Nvidia and ATI are like.

To start press any key. Where's the "any" key? --Homer Simpson.

svol

Champion
You remember me, cool. Well I have been in the other section for months now, and sometimes I post in the overclocking section (not lately).

But I can't wait till NVidia's and Ati's new cards are out... got some new 3D games which play horrible with my current card. So I was thinking of replacing my card bought in February 2001 now, and then change that card somewhere in March 2003. The point is that there will always be new and better hardware.

Black_Cat

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2002
The parhelia is Matrox's triumphant return to the 3D graphics arena. For the longest time it was just a rumor with leaks here and there. I think it comes out on Tuesday which hopefully will soon bring lower prices to the current crop of ATI and Nvidia cards.

You're right. As soon as you get something there is always something else new and tantalizing on the horizon. But, if you can time it right you could get what you want for much less if you are willing to wait a week or two.

To start press any key. Where's the "any" key? --Homer Simpson.

svol

Champion
Well I was planning to buy it at the end of the comming week or the week after that.
Hmmmm... must go read something about that 3D chipset, are there any test samples benchmarked?

nexus_alpha

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2001
Read this entire review and tell me if you still think the r8500 can't keep up with the geforce 4 cards in fact this review shows that it can keep up with a ti 4600 very closely and imagine how much cheaper it is than a ti 4600. So the gigabyte radeon ap128d-h is my reccomedation over the ti 4200.

<A HREF="http://www.tweaktown.com/document.php?dType=article&dId=290" target="_new">http://www.tweaktown.com/document.php?dType=article&dId=290</A>

chuck232

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2002
There are no benchies yet, but on June 25th, they should start pouring out. There's NDA right now, and it's released on June 25th. It looks to be a great card, if you can aford it. ($399 for a retail)

Get a 128MB version of a GF4 Ti4200 cause you'll be able to o/c it fine, but you can't add another 64MB to a 64MB card. The extra RAM is useful for AA and aniso and newer games.

What's the deal with lampshades, I mean it's a lamp, why would you want a shade? :smile:

svol

Champion
Yes, those scores are impressive for the Radeon8500, just minor differences with the Ti4600.
But that Gigabyte card as much to expensive compared to a 128MB Ti4200 card in Holland (€313 vs €220).
But maybe cards from diffirent brands give the same results for a lower price... can you name some differend brands with R8500 chipset that perform as good as the Gigabyte?

pekstein

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2002
man! i wish i would have known that the prices of graphics cards were going down...........i bought a MSI geforce 4 Ti 4400 last tuesday. stupid stupid stupid stupid me!

.........and I thought this post would involve Led Zeppelin.......oh well...........

Been dazed and confused for so long it's not true,
Wanted a woman never bargained for you.
Lots of people talk and few of them know,
Soul of a woman was created below.

<i> Garth, marriage is punishment for shoplifting in some countries. </i>

nexus_alpha

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2001
Nope sorry benchmarks involving the r8500 are few and far in between. Ati is however expected to reduce price in 2 weeks time and release new faster versions on july 17 maybe youcould wait a while?

svol

Champion
To be honest: no.
But if I know the price of the new faster versions maybe I can consider to wait... although I really want to play SOF2 and RedFaction on max quality when my last school week is over.

cakecake

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2002
Prices are obviously different in Holland than over here. Over here the Gigabyte Radeon is $135 while the Ti4200 is from $150-190 (Asus is most expensive).

July 17 ATi is releasing the RV250. This chip is going to be a fairly cheap, lower end graphics card for those who cannot afford the R300. This card should have a good price but because the Gigabyte Radeon is so expensive in your country maybe this new one will be just as expensive because of bad distribution (not enough supply too much demand). In this case you can just go ahead and buy a GF4 ti 4200, 4400, or 4600, based on what you can afford the best.

This little cathode light of mine, I'm gonna let it shine!

svol

Champion
The R8500 isn't selled in much stores around here and prices are way higher so that kinda sucks.
The cheapest Ti4200 is €174 (64MB Chaintech) and the most expensive is €270 (Gainward Ultra/650XP Golden sample). And as you might know the € is very close to the US$ so prices are indeed much higher.

But I found a Ti4200 round-up by Anandtech which I'm going to read... maybe that helps me decide.

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
svol svol svol
u auggta get out more. i make it a habit to visit other forums and dispense my wisdom to any who cant escape fast enough. :smile:

performance between the 64mb and 128mb versions should be near identical.
u will only need the 128mb version if you are planning on running FSAA at high resolutions, otherwise, save your $ and get the 64mb version.

<font color=green>Proud member of THG's</font color=green> <font color=blue>Den Of Thieves</font color=blue> :lol:

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
ive always liked the leadtek 4400 offering.
the one with the monster HSF and excellent overclocking ability.

<font color=green>Proud member of THG's</font color=green> <font color=blue>Den Of Thieves</font color=blue> :lol:

chuck232

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2002
Unfortunately svol plans on using a watercooler and RAM sinks and plus he wants a Ti4200...

What's the deal with lampshades, I mean it's a lamp, why would you want a shade? :smile:

svol

Champion
Well the Ti4400 prices are somewhat to high.

I did some reading and I think I go for the cheapest 128MB Ti4200 I can find, but I'm also interested in one by Chaintech becomes it comes with 2 games.