raylee011

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Hi

I am going to do some networking in my house in the next 2 months. I am using dialup modem to connect to the internet. (Yes, I know.) I just want to know something, I am going to use the share printer and file. Also, I would like to use this modem to connect to the internet. Can the other use this modem to connect to the internet also. If so, How. and if this computer is not connected to the internet. Can the others computer remotely control this computer to connect to the internet? and what should I set it up as. Thank You

CALV

Distinguished
May 17, 2001
are the other pc's already networked to the pc with the modem ?

If they squeeze olives to get olive oil, how do they get baby oil?

hammerhead

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2001
Umm, what?

Guess. PC1 currently has dialup access to the net. You are going to network it with PC2. You want PC2 to access the net via PC1. Correct?

If so, yes. What O/S are they running?

raylee011

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Yes, you are correct. I don't know what OS I am going to use yet. But for now, I have ME on PC1 and 98SE on PC2. I would like to stay away from the XP family at this point. But I have all the others OS. What would you recommand. And will I be able to control the connection to the internet from PC2. Thanks for any help. Also, I will be using CAT5 wire to network and I will need to wire it ourside of my house, will there be any problem.

hammerhead

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2001
Use the ICS software that comes with 98se and Me.

It's a while since I've used Win 9x setups but basically you run the Home Networking Wizard on PC1, the info <A HREF="http://www.dummies.com/Technology/Networking/Home_and_Small_Office/0-7645-0498-3_0001.html" target="_new"> here </A> should help.

PC1 will now act as a DHCP server. When PC2 is powered up, it will be assigned an IP address from PC1. PC2 doesn't have to be configured, A Win 98/Me machine with an ethernet card, will automatically obtain an IP address from a DHCP server, by default.

Run the internet connection wizard on PC2, tell it to connect over LAN.

That's it I think. Launch IE on PC2 and it will dial-up your ISP via PC1.