English DLL for German Diablo

Hi,

I have the German version of Diablo and know that there's some trick with
swapping the german language DLL against the english one.

Anybody got a download location for the English DLL and instructions on
how-to apply it?

Thanx,

Oliver

Oliver Wenzel wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have the German version of Diablo and know that there's some trick with
> swapping the german language DLL against the english one.
>
> Anybody got a download location for the English DLL and instructions on
> how-to apply it?
>
> Thanx,
>
> Oliver

After browsing around for a way to convert my french-speaking diablo
into english, I found out a few ways...

....the more convenient one would be to start the game using
"-locale eng"

I don't know if that would fix your whole dll issues, though.

"Oliver Wenzel" <ouuch@t-online.de> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
> Hi,
>
> I have the German version of Diablo and know that there's some trick with
> swapping the german language DLL against the english one.
>
> Anybody got a download location for the English DLL and instructions on
> how-to apply it?

http://www.ingame.de/filebase/index.php?action=file&cid=325&fid=1465

Hi,

"J.-H. Dieckmann" <Laltefro@hotmail.com> wrote in

> "Oliver Wenzel" <ouuch@t-online.de> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
>> I have the German version of Diablo and know that there's some trick
>> with swapping the german language DLL against the english one.
>>
>> Anybody got a download location for the English DLL and instructions
>> on how-to apply it?
>

> http://www.ingame.de/filebase/index.php?action=file&cid=325&fid=1465

thanx a lot. Got it, replaced the german dll and all works fine now. I
always wanted english text, anyway.

Regards,

Oliver

http://d2network.gamigo.de/downloads/D2Lang.dll

"Oliver Wenzel" <ouuch@t-online.de> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
> Hi,
>
> I have the German version of Diablo and know that there's some trick with
> swapping the german language DLL against the english one.
>
> Anybody got a download location for the English DLL and instructions on
> how-to apply it?
>
> Thanx,
>
> Oliver

Babe Bridou enlightened me with the following words of wisdom:

> After browsing around for a way to convert my french-speaking diablo
> into english, I found out a few ways...
>
> ...the more convenient one would be to start the game using
> "-locale eng"

Are you kidding? This is for real? I also have a French version and
pestered so many times at it. I had no idea you could change it. I'll
try it as soon as I get home.

I guess you add this in the command line (like -act n, etc.)?

YucaF

"Yuca Frita" <yucaf@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Babe Bridou enlightened me with the following words of wisdom:
>>
>> After browsing around for a way to convert my french-speaking diablo
>> into english, I found out a few ways...
>>
>> ...the more convenient one would be to start the game using
>> "-locale eng"
>>

> Are you kidding? This is for real? I also have a French version and
> pestered so many times at it. I had no idea you could change it. I'll
> try it as soon as I get home.
>
> I guess you add this in the command line (like -act n, etc.)?
>
> YucaF

I have been fruitlessly searching for a reference for the command line
options for Diablo. The manuals don't seem to have them, and I haven't
found anything online. Can someone provide a link?

TIA

"Brian Kastel" <bee-ar-eye-ay-en-kay-ay-ess-tee-ee-ell@tampabay.rr.com> wrote in message news:<t5Dod.64261$6w6.50@tornado.tampabay.rr.com>...
> "Yuca Frita" <yucaf@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > Babe Bridou enlightened me with the following words of wisdom:
> >>
> >> After browsing around for a way to convert my french-speaking diablo
> >> into english, I found out a few ways...
> >>
> >> ...the more convenient one would be to start the game using
> >> "-locale eng"
> >>

> > Are you kidding? This is for real? I also have a French version and
> > pestered so many times at it. I had no idea you could change it. I'll
> > try it as soon as I get home.
> >
> > I guess you add this in the command line (like -act n, etc.)?
> >
> > YucaF
>
> I have been fruitlessly searching for a reference for the command line
> options for Diablo. The manuals don't seem to have them, and I haven't
> found anything online. Can someone provide a link?
>
> TIA

hummm... been trying "-locale eng" and it doesn't seem to work. What
am I doing wrong?

YucaF

<snipped a very long list of very useful stuff>

So that's the one to change the language of the game? In a french
version, I just add

-lng eng

at the end of the command line in the shortcut and the text will
change to English?

I'll try again tonight.

Thanks for the information!

YucaF

Yuca Frita wrote:
> hummm... been trying "-locale eng" and it doesn't seem to work. What
> am I doing wrong?
>
> YucaF

The question is more: "what am I doing right?" :p

The first method I used was this one:

Step 1:
_Create a folder named "data" into the Diablo2 folder.

Step 2:
_Create a folder named "local" into the Diablo2/data folder.

Step 3:
_put a little, little file named "use" into it. Just like that, "use",
without any extension.

Where to find this file? over there:

http://babebridou.free.fr/use.zip

extract the little "use" file (it's a 1 byte in size) and put it in the
aforementioned directory.

Step 4:
_using a shortcut to diablo2.exe, add the option "-direct".

Step 5:
_if you can read "Single Player", "Battle.net gateway xxxxx"... it works!

This should work with *any* non-US version. To switch back to the
previous language, remove the "-direct" from the shortcut.

The only problem is, it doesn't work with mods You have to remove them
first.

Then I tried the "-locale eng" command line parameter, and it worked for me.

Babe Bridou <babebridou@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:<41a42847$0$17386$8fcfb975@news.wanadoo.fr>...
> The question is more: "what am I doing right?" :p
>
> The first method I used was this one:
>
> Step 1:
> _Create a folder named "data" into the Diablo2 folder.
>
> Step 2:
> _Create a folder named "local" into the Diablo2/data folder.
>
> Step 3:
> _put a little, little file named "use" into it. Just like that, "use",
> without any extension.
>
> Where to find this file? over there:
>
> http://babebridou.free.fr/use.zip
>
> extract the little "use" file (it's a 1 byte in size) and put it in the
> aforementioned directory.
>
> Step 4:
> _using a shortcut to diablo2.exe, add the option "-direct".
>
> Step 5:
> _if you can read "Single Player", "Battle.net gateway xxxxx"... it works!
>
> This should work with *any* non-US version. To switch back to the
> previous language, remove the "-direct" from the shortcut.
>

> The only problem is, it doesn't work with mods You have to remove them
> first.
>
> Then I tried the "-locale eng" command line parameter, and it worked for me.

First method: perfect (where did you get this tarabiscoted one?!)
Second method: no way (-actX works so I don't understand what's wrong)

What's the implication of -drect? More use of the CDROM?

Anyway, merci!

YucaF

Yuca Frita wrote:

> First method: perfect (where did you get this tarabiscoted one?!)

Where did you find that extremely frenglish word? :)

I can't find my sources right now (it's been almost half a year now),
but I think that had something to do with the "judgehype" french diablo2
community.

> Second method: no way (-actX works so I don't understand what's wrong)

Now that's strange:

"D:\Diablo II\Diablo II.exe" -locale eng -skiptobnet -title "#1"

is how my 1st instance shortcut looks like. When I replace the "-locale
eng" part with anything else, I get a french game.

> What's the implication of -drect? More use of the CDROM?

-direct tells diablo2 to go and fetch any game files in the "data"
folder rather than in the .mpq files.

> Anyway, merci!

de rien!

Babe Bridou <babebridou@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:<41a513b9$0$17406$8fcfb975@news.wanadoo.fr>...
> Yuca Frita wrote:
>
> > First method: perfect (where did you get this tarabiscoted one?!)
>
> Where did you find that extremely frenglish word? :)

I'm a word creator ;-)

> I can't find my sources right now (it's been almost half a year now),
> but I think that had something to do with the "judgehype" french diablo2
> community.
>

> > Second method: no way (-actX works so I don't understand what's wrong)
>
> Now that's strange:
>

> "D:\Diablo II\Diablo II.exe" -locale eng -skiptobnet -title "#1"

mine is
"D:\Diablo IIf\Diablo II.exe" -locale eng

because I had to reinstall d2 when I bought the expansion (I had
D2classic in English) and created a new folder instead. I doubt that
this makes any difference...