newbie question

I apologize in advance for asking such a basic question… Friends I am
staying with for the next couple of weeks have a wireless router
connected to a cable modem for Internet access. I am using my
powerbook and airport wireless card to access the Internet through the
router. I am; however, somewhat concerned about my privacy and my
friend is tech savvy. He has both a wireless connection to the router
through his laptop and a wired connection through his desktop. My
question is can he through his computer look at my browsing history,
etc...?
Thank you in advance for your response.

Scott

What operating system are you running?

I am running Windows XP. Window's XP has a built in firewall for the
wireless connection. I am unable to get any kind of a connection between
computers to my laptop on my wireless network when the firewall is enabled.
I can still get the Internet though.

If you can't get a connection, you can't get data.

Also, do you have your file sharing turned off? If you have filesharing
off, your tech savvy friend would have to be very good to access information
on your network.

"sg" <myownkidneyshapedpool@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> I apologize in advance for asking such a basic question. Friends I am
> staying with for the next couple of weeks have a wireless router
> connected to a cable modem for Internet access. I am using my
> powerbook and airport wireless card to access the Internet through the
> router. I am; however, somewhat concerned about my privacy and my
> friend is tech savvy. He has both a wireless connection to the router
> through his laptop and a wired connection through his desktop. My
> question is can he through his computer look at my browsing history,
> etc...?
> Thank you in advance for your response.

yep - but why would he really want to ?

"sg" <myownkidneyshapedpool@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> I apologize in advance for asking such a basic question. Friends I am
> staying with for the next couple of weeks have a wireless router
> connected to a cable modem for Internet access. I am using my
> powerbook and airport wireless card to access the Internet through the
> router. I am; however, somewhat concerned about my privacy and my
> friend is tech savvy. He has both a wireless connection to the router
> through his laptop and a wired connection through his desktop. My
> question is can he through his computer look at my browsing history,
> etc...?
> Thank you in advance for your response.

sg <myownkidneyshapedpool@yahoo.com> wrote:
> through his laptop and a wired connection through his desktop. My
> question is can he through his computer look at my browsing history,

Some routers (Linksys BEFW11S4 for instance), have a viewable log of all
inbound and outbound connections.

--
---

Chuck

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2001

On Thu, 17 Jun 2004 00:25:35 +0000 (UTC), *email_address_deleted* wrote:

>sg <*email_address_deleted*> wrote:
>> through his laptop and a wired connection through his desktop. My
>> question is can he through his computer look at my browsing history,
>
>Some routers (Linksys BEFW11S4 for instance), have a viewable log of all
>inbound and outbound connections.

And those that don't you're better off avoiding. Access logs are a small part
of Defense In Depth, but a necessary one.

Cheers,
Chuck