System perfect after purging it of ATI

kinney

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2001
Removed my ATI Tv Wonder pci stereo tv tuner and traded a friend at work it for a Hauppauge WinTV Go even up and wow am I a happy man.

Hauppauge cards and the Audigy do NOT have the same volume problem that the TV Wonder does. You can adjust the volume thru the WinTV2000 software on Hauppauge cards.

I'm running XP and the newest Audigy drivers (from compaq dated 3/18/02).

I hope those who took my advice on the Leadtek WinFastTV 2000 XP card (same price as the Tv Wonder stereo pci and with remote, software works under xp properly and has FM tuning and many more features) are having good experiences with it.

I am using a Hauppauge WinTV GO mono and am in love with it.
Took it on an even trade for my TV Wonder.
Everytime I turn it on it comes up properly and the image quality is much better than the TV Wonder due to the software for the Hauppauge cards having built in algorithms from DScaler (the best software for tuning due to their superior deinterlacing). Image as good as dscaler and not the clunky interface of it.

For those who don't know, ATI tv tuners under XP don't work well, about 8/10 times you turn it on it will come up with a scrambled tv image that you cant make out. Audio is fine but the image is skewed.
I traded a card with svideo in,coax in, composites in (including audio left and right!) and stereo tuning for a card with MONO only tuning, coax in and a simple yellow RCA composite in with no audio input and I couldnt have made a better deal.

Support companies that support their products!

Athlon XP 1700+,KT266A,Geforce3, Audigy.. 'nuff said.

juin

Distinguished
May 19, 2001
ATI driver are perfect to me all look good

cheap, cheap. Think cheap, and you'll always be cheap.AMD version of semi conducteur industrie

AMD_Man

Splendid
Jul 3, 2001
For those who don't know, ATI tv tuners under XP don't work well, about 8/10 times you turn it on it will come up with a scrambled tv image that you cant make out. Audio is fine but the image is skewed.
Which I fixed.

:wink: <b><i>"A penny saved is a penny earned!"</i></b> :wink:

kinney

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2001
To bad ATI's so called zeal in driver development only pertain to the Radeon series of cards and ATI has apparantly forgot about the rest of their product line.

Your radeon might finally be delivering what it was supposed to a year after release but my tv wonder never had software that were even functional under XP and its been around alot longer than the radeon 8500.

kinney

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2001
Are you ATI tech support?

I refuse to use hacks to get hardware to function properly.

Did you fix the fact that when you try to view the resources tab on a TV Wonder under XP the computer gives a blue screen of death (or instant reboot in XP)?

Or that timeshifting never worked correctly, or that the ATI software still crashed occasionally.

I admire your efforts but I don't understand supporting a company like that. Just go Hauppauge or Leadtek or even Nvidias Personal Cinema.

In theory, on paper, feature wise, ATI has the best tv tuner on the market.. thats why I bought it.. but its not, similar situation to the 8500. Its not like any of us are out to get ATI but consumers dont like the idea they got ripped off.

AMD_Man

Splendid
Jul 3, 2001
Did you fix the fact that when you try to view the resources tab on a TV Wonder under XP the computer gives a blue screen of death (or instant reboot in XP)?

Or that timeshifting never worked correctly, or that the ATI software still crashed occasionally.

I admire your efforts but I don't understand supporting a company like that. Just go Hauppauge or Leadtek or even Nvidias Personal Cinema.

In theory, on paper, feature wise, ATI has the best tv tuner on the market.. thats why I bought it.. but its not, similar situation to the 8500. Its not like any of us are out to get ATI but consumers dont like the idea they got ripped off.
I'd fix those too if I had the time to look into them. Unfortunately, I now have a summer job, so I only have a couple of hours a day. I might release ATIMax Alpha 1 this weekend though. It's designed to fix conflicts in ATI drivers and optimize their drivers and downloaded the latest drivers for you automatically. The latter two features are still not complete, but the first is nearly complete.

:wink: <b><i>"A penny saved is a penny earned!"</i></b> :wink:

nexus_alpha

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2001
Another example of someone who gave up because he didn't have the expertise like a AMD_MAN to fix his problems. Lets hope nvidia never releases bad drivers he'd be confused. LOL

P.S. not a flame just having some fun with a guy who obviously likes pissing on the word ATI. Come on wake up a smell the plastic everybody has hardware conflicts including nvidia users no reason to broadcast your miseries you fixed it wonderful now move on. You sound like a guy who just wants to give trouble as evidenced by your last post The aim of these forums is spread information(not misinformation) and help people. I even reccomend occasionlly nvidia cards.

kinney

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2001
Well I think displaying my dissatisfaction is doing people more a service than disservice, telling people what not to buy is as important as what to buy.
I dont know if you have a tv wonder but what i said is no misinformation... the card itself is great but the software is some ugly beast.

This is not a couple of little annoying problems, these are serious issues that make the card unusable. I feel for those who buy the tv wonder.
But yes, I'm very mad at ATI for my unfortunate decision to buy their tuner and I want to make sure no one makes the same mistake.

As far as a good point to appease you ati fans, the card works perfect as advertised under 98se. You would have to be a real ati loyalist to put up with the tv wonder under xp.

edit- and they arent my problems (well not anymore), they are ati's.. i've seen more than a few people buy the card find out the problems and swear vengence against ati (in the rage3d forums in particular) for wasting their money.
and i would recommend an ati card, the all in wonder series due to their vast capabilities, i like them but have no personal experience with them so I wouldnt do such until i got to test its stability for myself.

Athlon XP 1700+,KT266A,Geforce3, Audigy.. 'nuff said.<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by kinney on 06/26/02 11:34 PM.</EM></FONT></P>