Enchantress with a Vengeance..

Hiya,

while playing around with my SP level 69 Enchantress, who just has reached
Hell diff, I found an intersting thread/guide in the rpgforums:

http://rpgforums.net/showthread.php?t=277313

It shows an Enchantress using a Kingslayer axe with Vengeance to create
additional elemental damage which is further enhanced by LM/FM/CM skills.

1. Skill points

- As easy as: Enchant 20, Warmth 20, FM 20 and LM 20
- Aim for +5 all skills from equipment
- another +5 fire skills on switch (once every 15 minutes)
- One-point: Static, Teleport, Shiver armor, CM

At level 80, you should have all 4 skills maxed with pre-reqs.

2. Stat points

- STR: enough for Kingslayer axe (only increases pure phys.dam)
- DEX: as much as possible to increase AR
- VIT: everything else
- ENG: nada

3. Vengeance Damage

Level 1 Vengeance from KingSlayer doesn't sound much, but it can be
increased with +all skill items. Level 5 Vengeance already returns 100% of
fire/lightning/cold damage of the weapon damage.

Let's say max damage of the axe is 250, you'll get 250 fire + 250 cold +
250 light damage + 250 phyiscal damage * enhanced damage modifiers.

Fire and lightning damage is further increased by the masteries. For
Enchanting, I already have FM30 with +fire items, so the FM bonus is 233%.
Maxed LM with +skills is 25 giving 338% to lightning.

For Vengeance +5 (+100% F/L/C), a damage calc would show:

phy. = 250 * (1+STR/100) = 250 * (1 + 130/100) = 575
FIRE = 250 * (1 + 233%/100) = 250 * 3,33 = 832
LIGT = 250 * (1 + 338%/100) = 250 * 4,38 =1095
COLD = 250 (no modifiers) = 250
SUM 2752 max

With +250 lightning damage from charms, you could get another 1000
lightning to max damage.

The fun starts with the level 32 Enchant - with the additional fire damge
we now to 5879-7899 damage.. free for about 15 minutes. AR is only around
2500 here, but I hadn't added any AR charms or items. After Enchant, 250AR
would grow to another 1000AR.

4. The Weapon : KingSlayer

The Guide above uses a two-handed axe, but I have gone with axe and shield
here to have better resists in Hell. KingSlayer needs the runes MAL, UM,
GUL and FAL, so it is not that expensive.
Sorcs get a special speed bonus for axes, so with proper IAS% you can get
up to 2 attacks per second or to the 11-9 frames per attack range.

5. Equipment

Nothing to spectacular here. Harlequin Crest with UM, Eye of Ettlich, Skin
of the Vipermagi (upgraded with UM), one Stone of Jordan.
Moser's Blessed Circle with 2 PDiamonds adds +63 res all..

For Enchanting, Magefist (+1 fire), ammu with +2 fire, Hexfire blade with
another +3 fire skills and some +1 fire Grand Charms should get you a level
32 Enchant.

6. Extras

A special bonus would be a Call to Arms weapon on switch. With +5 all
skills and CtA with +5 BC/BO you'd get about 2 minutes worth of an
additional +1 to all and some 65% life/stam and mana.

A Chains of Honor armor would add +2 all skills and +65 res all, so you
could perhaps switch to a 2-handed Kingslayer axe with even more damage.

This is not a guide, just a little summary of my researches (which may be
completely wrong). Just take it with a grain of salt.

Especially the weapon damage calculations made me wonder. I had tried to
multiply weapon damage (let's say 250max) by (1+STR/100) and calculate
elemental Vengeance damage from there, but that didn't work (see above).

Vengeance elemental damage is only converted from weapon damage + x to
max/min damage items. The STAT bonus (STR/100) does NOT count in here.

I guess a HF or Defiance merc would go quite well with this sorc.

Comments, ideas, Corrections?

Regards,

Oliver

I think it was Oliver Wenzel <ouuch@t-online.de> that wrote something
like...

>Hiya,
>
>while playing around with my SP level 69 Enchantress, who just has reached
>Hell diff, I found an intersting thread/guide in the rpgforums:
>
> http://rpgforums.net/showthread.php?t=277313
>
>It shows an Enchantress using a Kingslayer axe with Vengeance to create
>additional elemental damage which is further enhanced by LM/FM/CM skills.

Sounds a bit like my idea for an IK sorc. I haven't gotten around to
trying it myself, but a friend was able to get hold of the armor and
all the other bits and made one. He sounded relatively happy with the
outcome.
The idea of course was Max Enchant and all the masteries to effect the
elemental damage the IK maul gets from partial set bonuses. I haven't
done the numbers so I don't know what it ends up like, but I make an
enchantress based around the Hellslayer axe and she seemed to do okay
damage. Around 7K it said on the character screen once enchanted.
Dunno how accurate the screen is though. But that's only fire damage,
and there's a nice bit of cold and lightning on the IK maul to be
effected by masteries.

Ashen Shugar
The moon by day, and the sun by night.
Blind woman, deaf man, jackdaw fool.
Let the Lord of Chaos rule!

> Let's say max damage of the axe is 250, you'll get 250 fire + 250 cold +
> 250 light damage + 250 phyiscal damage * enhanced damage modifiers.

What axe gives you 250 max damage?

Berserker Axe (one handed) has 71 max damage
Decapitator (two handed) has 137 max damage

Or do you mean the weapon modified with strenght?

Walt

Hi,

"Walt" <wbecke[NOSPAM]@gmx.at> wrote in

>> Let's say max damage of the axe is 250, you'll get 250 fire + 250
>> cold + 250 light damage + 250 phyiscal damage * enhanced damage
>> modifiers.
>
> What axe gives you 250 max damage?
>
> Berserker Axe (one handed) has 71 max damage
> Decapitator (two handed) has 137 max damage

The Kingslayer runeword adds 230%-270% to damage on the weapon. Multiply
the 71/137 from above with 3.7 and you get 262 or 506 max damage! 100%
Vengeance creates 506 light + 506 fire + 506 cold damage out of this.
Lightning and Fire Mastery increase these values further.

> Or do you mean the weapon modified with strenght?

The STR modifier (1+STR/100) is applied after the Vengeance conversion,
so only creates additional physical damage. This messed up my calcs
quite bad until I figured that out.

Regards,

Oliver

Hi,

"Walt" <wbecke[NOSPAM]@gmx.at> wrote in news:41a43605$0$12130$3b214f66
@tunews.univie.ac.at:

>> Let's say max damage of the axe is 250, you'll get 250 fire + 250 cold +
>> 250 light damage + 250 phyiscal damage * enhanced damage modifiers.
>
> What axe gives you 250 max damage?

Kingslayer runeword gives 230%-270% Enhanced damage. So a one-handed Small
Crescent with max damage 60 goes up to like 215 in my case. Berserker axe
would have 71 max damage, but could be difficult to find with only 4
sockets.

A 2-handed Champion Axe has 94 max damage, mulitply by 3,7 and you get a
max damage of 347. That would be nearly another 300 elemental damage...

Regards,

OLiver

Hi,

deathsabyss@yahoo.com.au (Ashen Shugar) wrote in

> I think it was Oliver Wenzel <ouuch@t-online.de> that wrote something
> like...
>>
>>It shows an Enchantress using a Kingslayer axe with Vengeance to
>>create additional elemental damage which is further enhanced by
>>LM/FM/CM skills.
>
> The idea of course was Max Enchant and all the masteries to effect the
> elemental damage the IK maul gets from partial set bonuses. I haven't
> done the numbers so I don't know what it ends up like, but I make an
> enchantress based around the Hellslayer axe and she seemed to do okay
> damage. Around 7K it said on the character screen once enchanted.
> Dunno how accurate the screen is though. But that's only fire damage,
> and there's a nice bit of cold and lightning on the IK maul to be
> effected by masteries.

225 STR on the IK Maul is quite high, though.. You'd have to sacrifice
lots of VIT points to get that high. I dunno how effective Cold Mastery
is as it only lowers enemies cold resistence. But in combination with a
Holy Freeze merc it could be well worth spending some points there.

Regards,

OLiver

> Nothing to spectacular here. Harlequin Crest with UM, Eye of Ettlich, Skin
> of the Vipermagi (upgraded with UM), one Stone of Jordan.
> Moser's Blessed Circle with 2 PDiamonds adds +63 res all..
>
> For Enchanting, Magefist (+1 fire), ammu with +2 fire, Hexfire blade with
> another +3 fire skills and some +1 fire Grand Charms should get you a
level
> 32 Enchant.

I would go with this setup for gear:

Armor: Up'ed Viper (Um)
helm: Andy visage at higher lvls, +2, ias, str and life leech. (with Um)
ammu: highlords would be better IMO. +1, ias, light dmg and deadly strike
boots: Goreriders for crushing and deadly
shield: tiamats for more elemental dmg (boosted by the skills) with
pdiamond
weapon: kingslayer in a war spike (war spike has close to same dmg as
berserker axe, but is faster)
gloves: might go for laying of hands (to counter the -fire res on visage)
and for the ias+dmg to demons
belt: tgods (might be the HC side of me talking for this.. but its still a
great belt with the +str and +vit)
rings: Soj and Ravenfrost

could upgrade the tiamats to a Monarch for 4% more block (would req. more
str.. but kingslayer, tgods and visage give +50 total)
only problem with this is that andy visage is lvl 83.

Clincher

Hi,

"Clincher" <drevil23500@hotmail.com> wrote in

>> Nothing to spectacular here. Harlequin Crest with UM, Eye of Ettlich,
>> Skin of the Vipermagi (upgraded with UM), one Stone of Jordan.
>> Moser's Blessed Circle with 2 PDiamonds adds +63 res all..
>>
>> For Enchanting, Magefist (+1 fire), ammu with +2 fire, Hexfire blade
>> with another +3 fire skills and some +1 fire Grand Charms should get
>> you a
> level
>> 32 Enchant.
>
> I would go with this setup for gear:
>
> Armor: Up'ed Viper (Um)
> helm: Andy visage at higher lvls, +2, ias, str and life leech. (with
> Um) ammu: highlords would be better IMO. +1, ias, light dmg and
> deadly strike boots: Goreriders for crushing and deadly
> shield: tiamats for more elemental dmg (boosted by the skills) with
> pdiamond
> weapon: kingslayer in a war spike (war spike has close to same dmg
> as berserker axe, but is faster)
> gloves: might go for laying of hands (to counter the -fire res on
> visage) and for the ias+dmg to demons
> belt: tgods (might be the HC side of me talking for this.. but its
> still a great belt with the +str and +vit)
> rings: Soj and Ravenfrost

I just made do with the things I had on hand so far. I wanted to see how a
basic setup would look like.

I still need to figure out the IAS% I need and how to get them. Then figure
in some good tricks to deal with PI/SS guys and bosses faster and so on.

Another question is HolyFreeze Merc or a Defiance guy? For starters, I got
her a HF guy and am currently power-levelling him to about level 70.

She was very happy with her Demon Machine setup so far, so mebbe I'll just
leave that on switch. Just pick off all non-FI baddies (slowed by HF) from
a distance and then go for killing blows to the immunes. Merc with Reaper's
Toll rocks on my ThrowBarb setup, so I'd love to find another Reaper..

Ultimate goal is to get her to solo Matriarch and then let her retire to
Hell pit runs (not many FI's down there) with a good MF setup.

One more big problem is Attack Rating with the Kingslayer axe. About 2.5K
AR, even enchanted, just won't cut it in later hell acts. So lots of +AR
stuff will come in very handy, too. Enchant adds about 300% AR, so I
shouldn't need all too much.

Pumping some points into Cold Mastery could do wonders to Holy Freeze, too.

Regards,

Oliver

"Walt" <wbecke[NOSPAM]@gmx.at> wrote in message

>> Let's say max damage of the axe is 250, you'll get 250 fire + 250 cold +
>> 250 light damage + 250 phyiscal damage * enhanced damage modifiers.
>
> What axe gives you 250 max damage?
>
> Berserker Axe (one handed) has 71 max damage
> Decapitator (two handed) has 137 max damage
>
> Or do you mean the weapon modified with strenght?
>
> Walt

You can get 250 from a rare, no uber runes needed:

http://www.cthulhudreams.com/images/d2/itams/axe.jpg
--
Zamboni

On Wed, 24 Nov 2004 19:15:44 +0100, Oliver Wenzel <ouuch@t-online.de>
wrote:

>> Pumping some points into Cold Mastery could do wonders to Holy Freeze, too.

AIUI Cold Mastery affects *your* cold attacks but not your minions or
party members. Their cold attacks are unaffected. HF merc with kelpie
snare and blackhorn's face and Duress armor ought to slow things down a
bit.

--

USEast HC Ladder: Rockstomper

Hi,

"Zamboni" <zamboni@nospam.com> wrote in

> "Walt" <wbecke[NOSPAM]@gmx.at> wrote in message
>>
>>> Let's say max damage of the axe is 250, you'll get 250 fire + 250
>>> cold + 250 light damage + 250 phyiscal damage * enhanced damage
>>> modifiers.
>>
>> What axe gives you 250 max damage?
>>
>> Berserker Axe (one handed) has 71 max damage
>> Decapitator (two handed) has 137 max damage
>>
>> Or do you mean the weapon modified with strenght?
>>
> You can get 250 from a rare, no uber runes needed:
>
> http://www.cthulhudreams.com/images/d2/itams/axe.jpg

I need the Kingslayer runeword for the Vengeance skill, though. That's
the whole point of this setup..
But if you know another source for a non-pally Vengenace skill?

Regards,

Oliver

Oliver Wenzel wrote:
> 225 STR on the IK Maul is quite high, though.. You'd have to sacrifice
> lots of VIT points to get that high. I dunno how effective Cold Mastery
> is as it only lowers enemies cold resistence. But in combination with a
> Holy Freeze merc it could be well worth spending some points there.

In fact, cold Mastery is deceptively effective. Take a 100% cold
resistance reduction (CM lvl 17)... vs. a critter that is 50%
cold resistance this is equivalent to 300% increased damage. vs.
a critter that is 75% cold resistant it is equivalent to 500%.
Of course, at the not so good end of the scale, you only get
100% extra damage, but many critters in hell have at least some
cold resistance.

Ian

Hi,

Ian Oversby <oversby@hotmail.com> wrote in

> Oliver Wenzel wrote:
>> 225 STR on the IK Maul is quite high, though.. You'd have to
>> sacrifice lots of VIT points to get that high. I dunno how effective
>> Cold Mastery is as it only lowers enemies cold resistence. But in
>> combination with a Holy Freeze merc it could be well worth spending
>> some points there.
>
> In fact, cold Mastery is deceptively effective. Take a 100% cold
> resistance reduction (CM lvl 17)... vs. a critter that is 50%
> cold resistance this is equivalent to 300% increased damage. vs.
> a critter that is 75% cold resistant it is equivalent to 500%.
> Of course, at the not so good end of the scale, you only get
> 100% extra damage, but many critters in hell have at least some
> cold resistance.

and CM is kind of a one-point wonder here. With my +all skills and 2
cold skiller charms (if space permits), I'm already at CM 8 = -55% cold
res.

For now, I'll start maxxing Lightning Mastery, as it also offers lots of
damage percentage:

L30 FM = +233% fire damage
L25 LM = +338% light damage

NM WSK2-3 at level 70 surely racks up some experience points..

Regards,

Oliver

"Oliver Wenzel" <ouuch@t-online.de> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> "Zamboni" <zamboni@nospam.com> wrote in
>

>> "Walt" <wbecke[NOSPAM]@gmx.at> wrote in message

>>> What axe gives you 250 max damage?
>>>
>>> Berserker Axe (one handed) has 71 max damage
>>> Decapitator (two handed) has 137 max damage
>>>
>>> Or do you mean the weapon modified with strenght?
>>>
>> You can get 250 from a rare, no uber runes needed:
>>
>> http://www.cthulhudreams.com/images/d2/itams/axe.jpg
>
> I need the Kingslayer runeword for the Vengeance skill, though. That's
> the whole point of this setup..

Picky, picky, picky. He wanted 250-damage axe, Igor fetches 250-damage
axe...
--
Zamboni

Oliver Wenzel wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Ian Oversby <oversby@hotmail.com> wrote in
>

>>Oliver Wenzel wrote:
>>
>>>225 STR on the IK Maul is quite high, though.. You'd have to
>>>sacrifice lots of VIT points to get that high. I dunno how effective
>>>Cold Mastery is as it only lowers enemies cold resistence. But in
>>>combination with a Holy Freeze merc it could be well worth spending
>>>some points there.
>>
>>In fact, cold Mastery is deceptively effective. Take a 100% cold
>>resistance reduction (CM lvl 17)... vs. a critter that is 50%
>>cold resistance this is equivalent to 300% increased damage. vs.
>>a critter that is 75% cold resistant it is equivalent to 500%.
>>Of course, at the not so good end of the scale, you only get
>>100% extra damage, but many critters in hell have at least some
>>cold resistance.
>

> and CM is kind of a one-point wonder here. With my +all skills and 2
> cold skiller charms (if space permits), I'm already at CM 8 = -55% cold
> res.

I would always aim for slvl 17 after +skills. I mean, look at the
different cost in investment. 9 skill points to do +300% damage
to a 50% cold resistant critter in hell. And if you think there
aren't that many cold resistant critters, well...

> For now, I'll start maxxing Lightning Mastery, as it also offers lots of
> damage percentage:
>
> L30 FM = +233% fire damage
> L25 LM = +338% light damage

I'm fairly sure your FM is additive with the bonus from warmth
rather than multiplicative. Personally if I was building an
enchantress I'd go for max warmth and enchant, 1 point in fire
mastery, max frozen orb and 17 points in cold mastery after
+skills and only then pump fire mastery.

Ian

Hiya,

Ian Oversby <oversby@hotmail.com> wrote in news:30o4kgF32i4vtU1@uni-
berlin.de:

> Oliver Wenzel wrote:
>> Hi,
>> and CM is kind of a one-point wonder here. With my +all skills and 2
>> cold skiller charms (if space permits), I'm already at CM 8 = -55% cold
>> res.
>
> I would always aim for slvl 17 after +skills. I mean, look at the
> different cost in investment. 9 skill points to do +300% damage
> to a 50% cold resistant critter in hell. And if you think there
> aren't that many cold resistant critters, well...
>
>> For now, I'll start maxxing Lightning Mastery, as it also offers lots of
>> damage percentage:
>>
>> L30 FM = +233% fire damage
>> L25 LM = +338% light damage
>
> I'm fairly sure your FM is additive with the bonus from warmth
> rather than multiplicative. Personally if I was building an
> enchantress I'd go for max warmth and enchant, 1 point in fire
> mastery, max frozen orb and 17 points in cold mastery after
> +skills and only then pump fire mastery.

my original Enchantress was built around DM's exploding arrow and high fire
damage - I only looked at cold as an afterthought. Additional lightning
damage seemed the way to go.

With the new KingSlayer + Vengeance approach, I'm now doing a clean
shooter-melee Enchantress, only damage spell is STATIC. So I still rely
heavily on lightning and fire.

Regards,

Oliver

On Fri, 26 Nov 2004, Ian Oversby wrote:

>> Personally if I was building an
>> enchantress I'd go for max warmth and enchant, 1 point in fire
>> mastery,

Maxing fire mastery first has given me a hydra (1-point wonder) that is
actually useful.

--

USEast HC Ladder: Rockstomper