Inspiron HD upgrade

I bought a 60GB hard drive repacement for the 20Gb drive that came with my
Inspiron 2650. I formatted the 60Gb drive via a USB/IDE adapter, and
thought it would be a simple matter to clone the small drive to the larger
one by using Norton Ghost.

I used the drive copy in Ghost to clone drive C: to destination drive G: and
it does not now work right when installed in the computer. It does not
boot.

There seems to be a partition or something on my original drive called
DELLUTIL which I suspect may be my problem.

How can I clone the whole 20Gb drive including this DELLUTIL? Norton Ghost
only seems to let me copy one drive (C:) at a time. Or is there something
else I need to do?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks
Jim
4 answers Last reply
More about inspiron upgrade

    Jim wrote:

    >I bought a 60GB hard drive repacement for the 20Gb drive that came with my
    >Inspiron 2650. I formatted the 60Gb drive via a USB/IDE adapter, and
    >thought it would be a simple matter to clone the small drive to the larger
    >one by using Norton Ghost.
    >
    >I used the drive copy in Ghost to clone drive C: to destination drive G: and
    >it does not now work right when installed in the computer. It does not
    >boot.
    >
    >There seems to be a partition or something on my original drive called
    >DELLUTIL which I suspect may be my problem.
    >
    >How can I clone the whole 20Gb drive including this DELLUTIL? Norton Ghost
    >only seems to let me copy one drive (C:) at a time. Or is there something
    >else I need to do?
    >
    >Any help would be appreciated.
    >
    >Thanks
    >Jim

    I don't know the nature of the problem, but the dellutil partition is
    not likely it. Dell ships their computers with a small partition
    containing their utility programs (the same programs on the utility disk
    you should have received). You can delete this partition with no
    problem. Deleted mine a long time ago.

    If you want to create a Dell utility partition, you can do that also. Google
    for "Dell utility partition" (what else?) for instructions. The purpose is to
    have hardware level diagnostics readily accessable at the touch of a function
    key. The utility partition is a basic DOS bootable partition with its partition
    type changed to the type 0xDE. You can use the free Ranish partition manager to
    change partition types... Ben Myers

    On Sun, 24 Jul 2005 23:26:14 -0400, "Jim" <jbasi@cfw.com> wrote:

    >I bought a 60GB hard drive repacement for the 20Gb drive that came with my
    >Inspiron 2650. I formatted the 60Gb drive via a USB/IDE adapter, and
    >thought it would be a simple matter to clone the small drive to the larger
    >one by using Norton Ghost.
    >
    >I used the drive copy in Ghost to clone drive C: to destination drive G: and
    >it does not now work right when installed in the computer. It does not
    >boot.
    >
    >There seems to be a partition or something on my original drive called
    >DELLUTIL which I suspect may be my problem.
    >
    >How can I clone the whole 20Gb drive including this DELLUTIL? Norton Ghost
    >only seems to let me copy one drive (C:) at a time. Or is there something
    >else I need to do?
    >
    >Any help would be appreciated.
    >
    >Thanks
    >Jim

    Are you sure the new drive is marked as Active, or Bootable, or
    whatever? I think Ghost can check/change it.

    "Markeau" <please_reply@news.group> wrote in message
    > Are you sure the new drive is marked as Active, or Bootable, or whatever?
    > I think Ghost can check/change it.

    I had that problem last night on my desktop. Ghosted toa new drive and it
    wouldn't recognize it as a boot drive. I'd forgotten to mark the partition
    Active.

    Tom

Dell Inspiron Computers