Google Lifts the Curtain on Chrome OS

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

you know, i think this has potential and all, but there is no way so many people would change over from windows to make this truly successful.

sublifer

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2008
I'd like to know what its doing for file management... grabbing pics off a camera and putting them in picasa or whereever is one thing but what about if you want to keep it on the PC? I've had tons of ideas on file management and I just want to see if they're gonna stick to a simple file explorer or if they're going to make it an EXPERIENCE.

farrell4g

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2009
It'll be interesting to see if it will catch on. It is free after all, and might not need the learning curve of linux.....

David the Gnome

Distinguished
Sep 8, 2009
It seems like you should be able to run this on a system with very minimal specs. If nothing is really stored on the computer then you don't need more than a couple GB's of space on the computer. If you purpose built a machine to run on this OS you could probably have a fully functional computer for well under $100.

G

I’m not sure about storing confidential information (banks/account details etc) on Google servers; for sure it will get hacked. I think Google OS should have options to choose between storing data online or disk.

The simplicity approach of Goggle Chrome Os is good and should have been implemented by major Linux distributors (RedHat, SUSE, Manadrake etc) many years ago.

They should change the name to: Google Ads Bombardier 2010

tayb

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2009
There will be no mass market appeal of this OS except for system builders using it as a glorified "instant on" OS on top of the Windows install.

the_one111

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2008
[citation][nom]farrell4g[/nom]It'll be interesting to see if it will catch on. It is free after all, and might not need the learning curve of linux.....[/citation]
Linux doesn't have that big a learning curb. Ubuntu would probably be easier to navigate than Chrome simply because it is very much like MS's UI.

All in all I think it will get downloaded because it is made by "Google" even though Ubuntu/Windows can do everything this can and more.

tortnotes

Distinguished
Jul 31, 2009
So wait.
If everything is stored in the cloud... what does that mean for photos, videos, music files? Whenever I access these things, am I downloading the file or am I streaming it through a browser?
What does that mean for any kind of serious editing or manipulation? Or for transferring 10GB of stuff to my mp3 player? I wouldn't want to throw all of that across my network connection. It would be agonizingly slow. :/

Sounds cool for the netbook crowd, but I can't see using this all the time. I like the near instant on feature, but unless I'm in a hurry I'll want Windows so I can actually, you know, do something other than look at stuff.

kingssman

Distinguished
Apr 11, 2006
SO...... Is this thing gonna be like OSX? where there will be an EFI and only a specific set of supported hardware but a read only OS drive, and apps run either on the web or in a DOS like environment?

donaldduck

Distinguished
Nov 18, 2009
As it is now, it is definitely interesting in terms of plain usability. After all most of Google' software (Chrome, the browser, in primis) aims towards simplicity (as-in user-friendly).

My geek-question about this is: since Chrome OS is based on Linux's kernel, when will we see a native and stable release of Chrome browser on other Linux distro (ok, slightly off-topic, sorry)?

[UPDATE] Have added the entire presentation in case you have nearly an hour and a half to spare. It is Friday . . .

I always like this laid-back approach to work :D

zak_mckraken

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2004
But, even if you're working offline, remember all of your data is stored in the cloud

Like tortnotes asked, what about multimedia files? Surely I can and will have local files? Besides that, I think Chrome could be a great way to put some life back in my old Celeron notebook.

G

If everything is stored in the cloud, what is the true cost of the OS once ISP's start charging per GB downloaded? That could get pricey!

matt2k

Distinguished
May 4, 2007
i really like the idea, all i ask for is local storage as well, so i can watch movies/listyen to music while out of range of wi-fi (airplane, car etc)
i mean, who really does intense computational tasks with a NETBOOK?

Raid3r

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2008
Either the OS encrypts all pertinent items before ant type of data exchange or its a good time for a third party to take advantage of that and do it for the os before upload. Or obviously local storage.

jrharbort

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2009
At about 37 minutes into the main presentation video, they clearly say that chrome will not be downloadable, or available to install on any machine, it simply doesn't work like that.

If you want to use Chrome OS, you need to buy a Chrome OS machine.

So for all of you hoping to install it on an old system, or on another partition... you can't, sorry to say.

jrharbort

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2009
[citation][nom]jrharbort[/nom]At about 37 minutes into the main presentation video, they clearly say that chrome will not be downloadable, or available to install on any machine, it simply doesn't work like that.If you want to use Chrome OS, you need to buy a Chrome OS machine.So for all of you hoping to install it on an old system, or on another partition... you can't, sorry to say.[/citation]
Gah... I meant to say that's it's not downloadable for just any machine. =_="

It's designed to work with only very specific, and few kinds of hardware, only found in netbooks currently.

wildwell

Distinguished
Sep 19, 2009
As others have stated, I have concerns regarding ALL my data being in the cloud. A lot of business users are now using netbooks for simple tasks on the go as well as consumers. What will Google do to assure their customers that private/confidential data will stay that way?

Status
Not open for further replies.