GF4mx cards have a problem, can THG help?

Player1

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2002
GF4mx cards still do not show reflective textures in FS2k2, this is a known problem, but as of yet there is no response or fix from Nvidia.

We (the flight sim community) are hoping one of the better "connected" sites will take notice of the plite that GF4MX owners are in and run with a story or kindly get some much needed attention from NV. :)

Here is one of the longer threads on the subject at AVSIM.com:

http://ftp.avsim.com/cgi-bin/dcforum/dcboard.cgi?az=read_count&om=6241&forum=DCForumID8

This has been a long standing issue (well, since the release of GF4MX)as some folks are quite unhappy as the older GF2's that they had have no problem displaying the multitexturing in FS2k2 (GF2's,GF3's as well as GF4TI have no problems and it is known that the GF4mx seems to work fine in other programs)

None of the NV sites have any info regarding this hot topic in the GF4mx reviews or otherwise, It does seem to be specific to the MS title though and it is a real point of contention for those that decided to go for these budget cards.

Very strange that the GF2 displays reflective effect just fine in Fs2k2 but the GF4mx does not, since the GF2 and GF4mx are so closely related. ???

All combination of different drivers/OS/AMD&Intel hardware do not change the result, could it be something of a bad "hook" in the drivers registry?

Hoping THG can step up and be of some service in this regard.

Please E-mail pleatzaw@frontiernet.net if you think you can provide a source of help.

Thank you,

Paul Leatzaw

XP2300 (10x187FSB=1872) Alpha PAL8045 HTS quiet 80x80mm 50cfm fan
Epox-8K3A DDR333 (4.40 4in1)
512MB xms3000 DDR
GF3TI200 O/C 225/500
DET 29.42 D3D settings: MMap=LOD-0.1 Anisotropic= 32tap Vsync=off FW=off SBA=off AGP set@128mb
DX8.1b on Win98SE
3Dmark2001SE score=9055 tested@ 1024x768x32 http://service.madonion.com/compare?2k1=3519718

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by Player1 on 06/30/02 11:50 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

Player1

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2002
Just following up, with the DX8.1b update nothing has changed in this regard but reading what was updated with this DX patch we wern't expecting anything to change. ;)

As a side note however, the Z-buffer problem in FS2k2 as seen in all video cards has been fixed. :)

Come on folks, can anyone help with the GF4MX reflective issue?

Paul

chuck232

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2002
It's just that I don't think the we know how to fix the problem. I'm sure if someone knows, they'll be along to help you out.

:smile: Falling down stairs saves time :smile:

bront

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2001
In protest, I shall not buy a GF4MX :eek:

Of course, I would never have bought one anyway =P

Seriously, it could be a hardware issue, as the GF4MX is a strange cross between a GF2MX and a GF4TI (I know mostly GF2MX, but it has some GF4TI aspects like memory, ect)

English is phun.

The Gforce4 MX series cards, why in the world did Nvidia market those stinking cards in the first place, the cards are impotently inadequate, they do not have the required hardware to be programed to support OPEN GL, or DIRECT X 8 and above, or Pixel shading, or is it ever going to have it by some driver update, and if you're waiting for the fix all driver update you'll be waiting for eternity. Oh and just for the record THWG did help already with a review when the GF4MX cards first came out, which you'll find in the Graphics section.

bront

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2001
Why? You can get an 8500 for a few bucks more (or even less in a few cases), and get DX8.1 and full OGL support. Short of usage of linux, there is no reason to buy a GF4MX.

English is phun.

samwyse

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2002
I'm thinking of getting a MSI Geforce4 MX 460, because it's cheap price (and there's a s-video input also). I don't care if it lacks some silly gimmicks.. or should I?

My processor is an Pentium III 933 MHz, which would be fine with the Gforce4 MX I guess.

I also need the Linux support. The card would replace my Geforce 2 MX.

chuck232

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2002
Well, you could also look at the GF3 Ti's. Probably the Ti200 would do fine in your system. The GF3 Ti200 performs about the same as a MX460, but also has DX8 support. Look and see if you can find a GF3 Ti200 for your price range.

:smile: Falling down stairs saves time :smile:

One thing you can count on is we're witnessing technology changing so fast just look at the changes we've seen in the last year, can you imagine this time next year where things will be technology wise. And with software and games, and such requiring more and more hardware capabilities, at least research your purchases well so you're not buying something you think is a great deal, thats already obsolete when you buy it.