How to make my 8200 multi-headed

I have a Dimension 8200 with an NVIDIA GeForce video card in it driving a
large CRT.

I have several extra Monitors (including another decent-sized Dell CRT) and
would love to make a 2- (or 3- ?) headed monster. What's my best bet?

I'm also interested in the prospect of a TV tuner card to make things really
interesting. However several trips to the store have left me overwhelmed
with too many choices.

I'd really appreciate suggestions on how to approach this.

"Tim Braithwaite" <tbraithwaite@houston.rr.com> wrote in message
>I have a Dimension 8200 with an NVIDIA GeForce video card in it driving a
>large CRT.
>
> I have several extra Monitors (including another decent-sized Dell CRT)
> and would love to make a 2- (or 3- ?) headed monster. What's my best bet?
>
> I'm also interested in the prospect of a TV tuner card to make things
> really interesting. However several trips to the store have left me
> overwhelmed with too many choices.
>
> I'd really appreciate suggestions on how to approach this.

OK, two questions. Your best bet for dual head is an inexpensive ATI based
AGP card that supports it. Under $100 at most stores.

As for TV Tuners, my personal preference is the Hauppauge WinTV PVR USB2.

Tom

how are you going to use them? multi-head gaming? programming and
development? graphics / layout? CAD ?

It used to be that the driver implimentaion was the ticket to getting this
to work. Back in the day, I had NT 4.0 workstations with 2 and 3 displays
just by having 2 or 3 Matrox Mystique cards. They were great, as long as you
werent gaming.

Matrox still has Dual head AGP cards, and some PCIe cards as well. The have
a 3 head model as well. The do have awsome 2D performance, but even my G400
cards would allow me to play untreal tournement, and serious same without
too much trouble. But, that was a long time ago.

Most ATI cards with 2 video connectors will do the trick, as will nVidia.

I dont do much gaming, but i have a ASUS Video Suite card, dual DVI, VIVO,
128M, TI4200 based card and it kicks ass for me.

Determine how you are going to use the machine in multi head mode, and then
find a card that supports 2 displays which is based on the best graphics
chip for how you want to use it. That way you arent making a huge sacrifice
in one area or another.

- NuTs

Tim Braithwaite wrote:
> I have a Dimension 8200 with an NVIDIA GeForce video card in it driving a
> large CRT.
>
> I have several extra Monitors (including another decent-sized Dell CRT) and
> would love to make a 2- (or 3- ?) headed monster. What's my best bet?
>
> I'm also interested in the prospect of a TV tuner card to make things really
> interesting. However several trips to the store have left me overwhelmed
> with too many choices.
>
> I'd really appreciate suggestions on how to approach this.

ATI and Matrox make dual-head video cards. ATI are probably better for
3D (games etc.) and Matrox have a reputation for good 2D quality (image
editing etc.) I have two PCs running examples of ATI and Matrox cards,
displaying on the same monitors through dual inputs, and I can't
honestly say I see any great difference. Maybe the Matrox is a tad
crisper on 2D image viewing.
Don't know about nVidia, but they might do dual-head aswell.

Alternatively, you could retain the AGP video card you already have and
add another PCI video card. Downsides to this are that said PCI video
cards are less easy to come by, use up another expansion slot, and
require multiple drivers. It seems like there's scope for problems and
confusion there, but I've not tried it and it may be fine. I'm pretty
sure people have done it so it can be made to work.

MAtrox make, if I remember correctly, multi-head cards as well. Not sure
if there's a 3-head, but I'm fairly sure there's a 4-head. Last time I
looked I think they used slightly older technology for these, which may
or may not be an issue depending ion your uses.

John

Thanks Tom

Can I really just stick 2 new cards in the box and the system would sort it
all out?

Are there any video cards out there that come with an on-board/intergated
tuner?

> "Tim Braithwaite" <tbraithwaite@houston.rr.com> wrote in message
>>I have a Dimension 8200 with an NVIDIA GeForce video card in it driving a
>>large CRT.
>>
>> I have several extra Monitors (including another decent-sized Dell CRT)
>> and would love to make a 2- (or 3- ?) headed monster. What's my best
>> bet?
>>
>> I'm also interested in the prospect of a TV tuner card to make things
>> really interesting. However several trips to the store have left me
>> overwhelmed with too many choices.
>>
>> I'd really appreciate suggestions on how to approach this.
>>

> OK, two questions. Your best bet for dual head is an inexpensive ATI
> based AGP card that supports it. Under $100 at most stores.
>
> As for TV Tuners, my personal preference is the Hauppauge WinTV PVR USB2.
>
> Tom

No, you just want one card that supports two monitors. And yes, ATI makes
cards that are also tuners. The ATI All-in-Wonder 9800 Pro AGP should do
everything you want. Make sure it supports two monitors though, as I am not
positive.

Tom
> Thanks Tom
>
> Can I really just stick 2 new cards in the box and the system would sort
> it all out?
>
> Are there any video cards out there that come with an on-board/intergated
> tuner?

>> "Tim Braithwaite" <tbraithwaite@houston.rr.com> wrote in message
>>>I have a Dimension 8200 with an NVIDIA GeForce video card in it driving a
>>>large CRT.
>>>
>>> I have several extra Monitors (including another decent-sized Dell CRT)
>>> and would love to make a 2- (or 3- ?) headed monster. What's my best
>>> bet?
>>>
>>> I'm also interested in the prospect of a TV tuner card to make things
>>> really interesting. However several trips to the store have left me
>>> overwhelmed with too many choices.
>>>
>>> I'd really appreciate suggestions on how to approach this.
>>>

>> OK, two questions. Your best bet for dual head is an inexpensive ATI
>> based AGP card that supports it. Under $100 at most stores.
>>
>> As for TV Tuners, my personal preference is the Hauppauge WinTV PVR USB2.
>>
>> Tom

Like you, I'm not much of a gamer. My focus is on graphics

I've been looking at the Matrox line:
http://www.matrox.com/mga/products/comp_chart/gseries_pseries_parhelia.cfm

Especially the P750. However in that case it appears I'd have to add a
separate TV tuner card.

"NuTCrAcKeR" <nutcracker@internationalhacker.org> wrote in message
> how are you going to use them? multi-head gaming? programming and
> development? graphics / layout? CAD ?
>
> It used to be that the driver implimentaion was the ticket to getting this
> to work. Back in the day, I had NT 4.0 workstations with 2 and 3 displays
> just by having 2 or 3 Matrox Mystique cards. They were great, as long as
> you werent gaming.
>
> Matrox still has Dual head AGP cards, and some PCIe cards as well. The
> have a 3 head model as well. The do have awsome 2D performance, but even
> my G400 cards would allow me to play untreal tournement, and serious same
> without too much trouble. But, that was a long time ago.
>
> Most ATI cards with 2 video connectors will do the trick, as will nVidia.
>
> I dont do much gaming, but i have a ASUS Video Suite card, dual DVI, VIVO,
> 128M, TI4200 based card and it kicks ass for me.
>
> Determine how you are going to use the machine in multi head mode, and
> then find a card that supports 2 displays which is based on the best
> graphics chip for how you want to use it. That way you arent making a huge
> sacrifice in one area or another.
>
> - NuTs
>

> "Tim Braithwaite" <tbraithwaite@houston.rr.com> wrote in message
>>I have a Dimension 8200 with an NVIDIA GeForce video card in it driving a
>>large CRT.
>>
>> I have several extra Monitors (including another decent-sized Dell CRT)
>> and would love to make a 2- (or 3- ?) headed monster. What's my best
>> bet?
>>
>> I'm also interested in the prospect of a TV tuner card to make things
>> really interesting. However several trips to the store have left me
>> overwhelmed with too many choices.
>>
>> I'd really appreciate suggestions on how to approach this.

I prefer the ATI cards, as they're better for gaming and video. You can get
them with an integrated TV Tuner too.

$138

Dual VGA
TV Tuner

http://www.buy.com/retail/product.asp?sku=10360657&loc=101&hdwt=0&sp=1

This is their lowest end, so the prices go up from there

Tom

> Like you, I'm not much of a gamer. My focus is on graphics
>
> I've been looking at the Matrox line:
> http://www.matrox.com/mga/products/comp_chart/gseries_pseries_parhelia.cfm
>
> Especially the P750. However in that case it appears I'd have to add a
> separate TV tuner card.
>

> "NuTCrAcKeR" <nutcracker@internationalhacker.org> wrote in message
>> how are you going to use them? multi-head gaming? programming and
>> development? graphics / layout? CAD ?
>>
>> It used to be that the driver implimentaion was the ticket to getting
>> this to work. Back in the day, I had NT 4.0 workstations with 2 and 3
>> displays just by having 2 or 3 Matrox Mystique cards. They were great, as
>> long as you werent gaming.
>>
>> Matrox still has Dual head AGP cards, and some PCIe cards as well. The
>> have a 3 head model as well. The do have awsome 2D performance, but even
>> my G400 cards would allow me to play untreal tournement, and serious same
>> without too much trouble. But, that was a long time ago.
>>
>> Most ATI cards with 2 video connectors will do the trick, as will nVidia.
>>
>> I dont do much gaming, but i have a ASUS Video Suite card, dual DVI,
>> VIVO, 128M, TI4200 based card and it kicks ass for me.
>>
>> Determine how you are going to use the machine in multi head mode, and
>> then find a card that supports 2 displays which is based on the best
>> graphics chip for how you want to use it. That way you arent making a
>> huge sacrifice in one area or another.
>>
>> - NuTs
>>

>> "Tim Braithwaite" <tbraithwaite@houston.rr.com> wrote in message
>>>I have a Dimension 8200 with an NVIDIA GeForce video card in it driving a
>>>large CRT.
>>>
>>> I have several extra Monitors (including another decent-sized Dell CRT)
>>> and would love to make a 2- (or 3- ?) headed monster. What's my best
>>> bet?
>>>
>>> I'm also interested in the prospect of a TV tuner card to make things
>>> really interesting. However several trips to the store have left me
>>> overwhelmed with too many choices.
>>>
>>> I'd really appreciate suggestions on how to approach this.

Tim Braithwaite <tbraithwaite@houston.rr.com>:

> I have a Dimension 8200 with an NVIDIA GeForce video card in it
> driving a large CRT.
>
> I have several extra Monitors (including another decent-sized Dell
> CRT) and would love to make a 2- (or 3- ?) headed monster. What's my
> best bet?
>
> I'm also interested in the prospect of a TV tuner card to make things
> really interesting. However several trips to the store have left me
> overwhelmed with too many choices.
>
> I'd really appreciate suggestions on how to approach this.

ATI RADEON 9600 256mb AGP8x, for a dualscreen system (1 DVI and 1 VGA)

or

ATI RADE...etc + a PCI video card (min 16 mb) for a 3screen system.

--
http://polygen.org/web/Cavallo_Goloso.656.0.html