Your question
Closed

Ballmer: Win 7 Sales 'Fantastic', 2x Predecessors

Last response: in News comments
November 20, 2009 5:25:04 PM

+1 to MS for this product
Score
November 20, 2009 5:28:42 PM

It's a good product, but these sale numbers were expected,especially when knowing that vista did not get accepted very well by the general public.
Score
Related resources
November 20, 2009 5:36:11 PM

Can't wait to see the new Mac commercials.

PC: I'm a PC, and your commercials don't seem to be working out like you'd expected.
Mac: ...
Score
November 20, 2009 5:54:13 PM

El_CapitanCan't wait to see the new Mac commercials.PC: I'm a PC, and your commercials don't seem to be working out like you'd expected.Mac: ...

Oh snap! Epic pwnage!
Score
November 20, 2009 5:59:58 PM

I can see Q4 for Microsoft being significantly higher. Definately worth every penny.
Score
November 20, 2009 6:08:56 PM

The apple commercials are very old, they need to go a different direction on their advertising. Apple needs to show off thier Pc's in their comercials and get away from bashing Windows. Their advertising crew needs to be fired and bring in some new people with fresh idea's. As far as Windows 7 goes, i had it on my PC for a trial period and i had no problems with it at all and would recommend. I will get it when i upgrade my PC till then i'll keep what i got. Go Windows 7......................

Score
November 20, 2009 6:11:29 PM

Windows 7 is now on 3/4 computers in my house, and I didn't pay a cent. Being a MSDNAA member is sweet :) 

I dont dare install on that last system though, a P4 with 512mb of RAM and a 4200RPM hard drive will not make for a good Win7 experience.

That said, the faithful old Athlon XP with 1.75GB RAM and a 7200RPM 250gb hard drive runs Win7 surprisingly smoothly!
Score
Anonymous
November 20, 2009 6:17:32 PM

I have the idea that latest 2 Windows where programmed by designartists instead of by people who actually use it,and work with it!

It took the free response and complaints of millions of users, to tell MS how to build it!
And it's still far from 'the perfect OS for the job'.
Score
November 20, 2009 6:29:52 PM

Go PC!
Score
November 20, 2009 6:33:41 PM

the_one111Oh snap! Epic pwnage!

I can see your maturity, what is exactly the ownage here?

They just said that Win 7 sold 2 x more than Vista... hmmmm knowing how bad was Vista done, this was to be expected... and it actually proves and contradicts their previous news statements about Vista as being the best upgrade out there from XP....

Anyway, use some soup and wash that MS fanboyism of your eyes so you can see clearly.

Why do you even mention Mac in these comments. This news has nothing to do with Apple. Are you so envious that you have to post some lame ass comments like this in order to satisfy your shortcomings?
Score
November 20, 2009 6:47:23 PM

It's about time they gave us a good OS at launch. I wouldn't be surprised if they don't rush the next 1 or 2 OS before having another great success such as W7.
Score
Anonymous
November 20, 2009 6:52:20 PM

Saying that one companies success has nothing to do with that company's competitor shows a great lack of understanding. And don't spew that crap about Apple not really being MS's competitor because it is. Why else would Apple talk bad about them in every single computer commercial that they run?

and still talking trash about vista, anti-MS fanboy much?

And by what logic does this contradict their previous comments about Vista being the best upgrade from XP. It is absolutely no different then Apple saying hey add this new OS called leopard it is the best upgrade to tiger and then now saying the same thing about the snow leopard(service pack) being the best upgrade to leopard.
Score
November 20, 2009 6:53:49 PM

tipoo... P4 with 512mb of RAM and a 4200RPM hard drive will not make for a good Win7 experience.
You'd be surprised. I installed the Beta on a similar setup and it was just as usable as a PC as when it had Windows 2000 on it.
Score
November 20, 2009 6:54:19 PM

Euphoria_MK.Why do you even mention Mac in these comments. This news has nothing to do with Apple.

the_one111 never said anything about apple, first off.
Second the "Ownage" would be in El Capitan's comment that Apples new ad that says "everyone has upgrade fever! well since we are upgrading we decided to go with a mac because it works" is not the case, considering the 40 million copies of windows 7 sold over the.... what 10,000 new macs/OSX purchased in the same time period?
Score
November 20, 2009 7:03:12 PM

Hmm, why does it contradict their previous comments about Vista being the best upgrade from XP... Well I dont know where you lived for the last three - four years, but Vista wasnt quite the success they wanted to be. People, Businesses, refused to upgrade from XP to Vista due to its high requirements and lack of optimization.
So saying that Win 7 outsold Vista by 2x is nothing spectacular. Vista should have been in the first place what Win 7 is, to start with...
Even developers at Microsoft were not installing Vista on their PCs, not that tells you something about Vista.
I would expect Win 7 sales to go up as people upgrade to newer hardware, since they dont offer the Windows XP anymore...
The funny part here is that people get offended by the Mac commercial... It's a freakin commercial! Give me one commercial that speaks the absolute truth... and who cares if they speak trash about Windows? Do you not have a brain for yourself to decide what you need and what you are going to purchase?
I use all OSs, Windows, Linux and Mac OS X.
I have three desktops, one running XP Pro, one running Win 7 Premium, and one running Fedora 12.
I have two laptops, one ruining Fedora 12 and one of the new Macbook Pros, running Snow Leopard and 2nd partition Win 7 Premium.

I personally dont feel offended by any of the commercials, acutaly I think that some are funny and some are stupid, but I dont go on every forum on the net to complain or talk trash about Mac or MS every time one of them releases some news.

Score
November 20, 2009 7:33:47 PM

Lol I'm not offended. You asked where the "pwnage" was and I explained. I think the mac vs. pc commercials Are funny. Good jorb buddy, good jorb. Also the articles says outsold ALL previous MS OS's NOT just vista in the same time after release. Before you "point" this out, yes it does have something to do with the fact that there are more computers in the world now than previously as well.
Score
November 20, 2009 7:34:51 PM

HonisYou'd be surprised. I installed the Beta on a similar setup and it was just as usable as a PC as when it had Windows 2000 on it.

Nice to know, I might try it. As it is, it runs XP like a snail trudging through molasses, but that's probably mainly because it hasnt been reformatted since it was bought 4 years ago.
Score
November 20, 2009 7:53:59 PM

hakestermanThe apple commercials are very old, they need to go a different direction on their advertising. Apple needs to show off thier Pc's in their comercials and get away from bashing Windows. Their advertising crew needs to be fired and bring in some new people with fresh idea's. As far as Windows 7 goes, i had it on my PC for a trial period and i had no problems with it at all and would recommend. I will get it when i upgrade my PC till then i'll keep what i got. Go Windows 7......................

You said it perfectly! Apple is no longer competing with Vista, it's now Windows7 they need to 'bash' and truthfully, there's not much to bash there, so it's time they put out a fresh marketing plan or their "I'm a mac, and I'm a PC" commercials will look really, really pathetic. But, it's Apple, and they are generally speaking rather pathetic, so I guess the commercials would be accurate.
Score
November 20, 2009 10:31:50 PM

Euphoria_MKI can see your maturity, what is exactly the ownage here?They just said that Win 7 sold 2 x more than Vista... hmmmm knowing how bad was Vista done, this was to be expected... and it actually proves and contradicts their previous news statements about Vista as being the best upgrade out there from XP....Anyway, use some soup and wash that MS fanboyism of your eyes so you can see clearly.Why do you even mention Mac in these comments. This news has nothing to do with Apple. Are you so envious that you have to post some lame ass comments like this in order to satisfy your shortcomings?

LOL !

this comment makes you an Apple's fanboy, so dont preach others about "fanboyism", please!
Score
November 20, 2009 10:35:16 PM

"Windows 7 is the simply best PC operating system we have ever built," Ballmer added. "It enables people to do more of what they want to do more easily and more quickly, and customers are responding."

i'm wondering, when "some other" companies' leaders will "learn" that they should talk about their own products rather than bashing Microsoft's products?!

some people should learn from Steve Ballmer.
Score
November 21, 2009 12:07:00 AM

I think some perspective is needed here. Win7 is nice and I'm glad I upgraded. However, I don't see it as much as a large step as say, Win95 was to Win3.1.1 or even WinXP to Win98. It's an incremental upgrade with several UI improvements and major bug fixes from Vista, imo.

Furthermore, I took advantage of the early half-price upgrade offer and am quite satisfied with what I got for the price. I would not feel so pleased if I were paying the full upgrade price today.
Score
November 21, 2009 12:10:55 AM

Although Windows 7 is much much better than Vista there is still a lot still wrong with it, there is still no compelling reason to upgrade from Windows XP and I will probably stick with XP until the day I decide to go 64 bit.
Score
November 21, 2009 2:06:44 AM

And what does 40 million Windows 7 OS look like in market share? A combination of all Windows OS bumped up from 92.56% market share to 92.9% AMAZING!!!
Score
Anonymous
November 21, 2009 2:22:38 AM

"Since launch, we've already sold twice as many units of Windows 7 than any other operating system we've ever launched in a comparable time," -Ballmer

BS! This OS isn't sold, it's shoved down our throats whether we want it or not. Go to any retailer and the OS is already locked to the computer - laptop you're going to purchase. "sold twice as many units" - obviously, there are more folks using computers than 10 years ago, especially laptops.

Morons should of cut up monopolistic microsoft ages ago. Europe is at least doing something about it, United States is still popping stupid pill on daily basis.

Great sales.. pfff laughable
Score
November 21, 2009 2:32:44 AM

pjmelectAlthough Windows 7 is much much better than Vista there is still a lot still wrong with it, there is still no compelling reason to upgrade from Windows XP and I will probably stick with XP until the day I decide to go 64 bit.

Like I stated above, I recently upgraded an old XP machine to Windows 7. Let me tell you, it was totally worth the effort. Despite having higher requirements than XP, the machine just seems snappier overall, even with Aero enabled on that ancient machine. Just the integrated search and indexing features alone made it worthwhile, IMHO. Plus the enhanced home networking stiff.

Then again I got all my licenses for free, so for you paying might not be worthwhile, but even on an older machine Win7 is a better experience than XP.
Score
November 21, 2009 3:03:39 AM

i program for bread , and believe me windows 7 is an improved and tweaked windows 6 . windows 6 was where the large change in architecture happened .
Score
November 21, 2009 3:12:11 AM

if you believe its completely new and shares nothing in common with windows 6 , you have fallen for the marketing . sure there are some changes in performance and features , like dx11 , jump lists , better indexing et al. , but the code base is really the same as vista . but considering vista failed to convince people to upgrade , MS wanted you to believe 7 was from another planet , and they have succeeded .
Score
November 21, 2009 6:17:27 AM

Delirium windblowsis... another incentive to let the monkey out? If mr. Frankenstein says it, it must be so. Or not?
Yummy boy, this time you got it almost right... all wintarded micro$uxx fankiddies will love you. Way to go!
Score
November 21, 2009 7:00:08 AM

millycat"Since launch, we've already sold twice as many units of Windows 7 than any other operating system we've ever launched in a comparable time," -BallmerBS! This OS isn't sold, it's shoved down our throats whether we want it or not. Go to any retailer and the OS is already locked to the computer - laptop you're going to purchase. "sold twice as many units" - obviously, there are more folks using computers than 10 years ago, especially laptops.Morons should of cut up monopolistic microsoft ages ago. Europe is at least doing something about it, United States is still popping stupid pill on daily basis.Great sales.. pfff laughable

And apple gives you the choice for the installed OS . True story i`ve heard, NOT! Cut the bullshit yourself first. And you jumped the conclusion without knowing from where the 2x sales came from, you have no paper no nothing from where they got their numbers but you still throw bullshit. And looking at some comments it is clearly that some ppl bought it for already owned computers.
Score
November 21, 2009 1:23:46 PM

homrqtLet's see how long it takes businesses to catch on.

Imo, not for a while, esp. if those businesses are still on XP and P4 type hardware and given the fact that businesses aren't spending much on extras these days.
Score
November 21, 2009 2:58:54 PM

ossieDelirium windblowsis... another incentive to let the monkey out? If mr. Frankenstein says it, it must be so. Or not?Yummy boy, this time you got it almost right... all wintarded micro$uxx fankiddies will love you. Way to go!

Dude, seriously. Speak normally and people might actually understand you. So, in an attempt to translate... you are saying something along the lines that because Steve Ballmer "Frankenstein" (which makes NO sense... cause he's very animated unlike the said character) says something about windows makes it automatically true. So you are saying that Microsoft didn't actually sell as many units of 7 that independent studies have proved? And I have no idea what the "letting the monkey out" means. You still have not defined what "yummy boy" means in any of your posts. Googleing it comes up with something about a hot, athletic guy... so not sure where that fits in. Just trying to clarify things here with your repeated stalking of anything Pro-MS posts that make no sense.
Score
November 21, 2009 3:04:52 PM

Hmm. I'm sorry it took so long to realize this, but I genuinely thought that ossie was here to make some sort of intellectual arguments, but he/she is actually just a troll. I have been epic owned, and shall stop feeding the troll. I apologize to the TH community for my unintentional continuation of this trolls thread life. Please find it in your hearts to forgive me.
Score
November 21, 2009 3:14:53 PM

Been running Win7 for a month now and the product is very good. Definitely more stable than Vista but arguably more stable than WinXP SP3....

Great job MS, you did a great job....
Score
November 21, 2009 3:22:05 PM

Win 7 is an excellent product. It runs smoothly on every pc I have, and there are some ancient ones in my collection. The new taskbar works great, and I haven't seen a single crash or problem since I installed it. Way to go MS! Even the MS haters should recognise that they have done well here.
Score
November 21, 2009 4:06:47 PM

Yup, so in another 2 years they'll release an operating system that is technically a service pack to Win7 (as Win7 was for Vista; with addition to Homegroup and Taskbar).
Score
November 21, 2009 8:25:41 PM

Yes great sales with a built in back door for the FEDS, all your base belongs to us. Dumb ass MS fanboys anyway, probably on their third crapobox 360 too.
Score
November 21, 2009 9:55:15 PM

LOL way to believe the rumors regulas.. Really are you that stupid. Don't you think hackers would find, and prove win 7 had a back door for NSA.

Microsoft is about making money their not gonna do something that they absoluty know would kill all the hype win 7 has. This is their redemption OS. Their not gonna fuck it up by doing something that stupid. Now in win 8 or w/e they call it then they might since "all eyes" might not be on them. Since win7 is such a success.
Score
November 21, 2009 10:59:37 PM

@mayne92: In fact Windows 7 is only a huge ServicePack for IBM OS/2.
Score
November 22, 2009 12:49:15 AM

cyberkuberiahif you believe its completely new and shares nothing in common with windows 6 , you have fallen for the marketing . sure there are some changes in performance and features , like dx11 , jump lists , better indexing et al. , but the code base is really the same as vista . but considering vista failed to convince people to upgrade , MS wanted you to believe 7 was from another planet , and they have succeeded .

Yeah however you fail to mention that Linux, Unix and even Mac OS are the same code with just some updates. Every "new" OS ever built has been built on by it's preceding OS. To redo an OS from scratch would be an engineering nightmare and would take over twice the amount of time to do it.

As far as windows 7 goes, it's definitely a huge improvement over Vista. It would be like comparing Mac OS 10.1 to 10.6. Sure it has somewhat the same look and feel but they behave very differently.
Score
November 22, 2009 1:06:24 AM

lol
way to be exited about microsoft selling this and this many off their updated OS.

Off course they are going to sell well, since a huge part of computers sold the last couple of years were actually downgraded to XP because vista sucked hard.

Face it. Windows is not a good OS, but it happens to be the one we all use because its the standard and all the software works with it. Reasons windows sucks:

1.The UI is tasteless. (i know you nerds dont give a damn, but graphical quality is what seperates great products from mediocre ones).

2.The registry sucks. How come every installed software has to fuck up the system so hard that you have to re-install your pc every half year in order to make it fast and snappy? This is simply a bad system design. Period.

3.Every small little thing about the system sucks. And this is because steve ballmer is an idiot. You can have all the talented people in the world, but if your leadership sucks, your product is going to suck. Imagine having a leader that honestly think google is bad?! Get a grip.

Windows 7 works. But it is not great. There is simply nothing great about it. The good thing about it is that it runs the software we all use which is great.

So stop fucking celebrating that windows 7 is selling some copies.
Score
November 22, 2009 3:08:59 AM

El_CapitanCan't wait to see the new Mac commercials.PC: I'm a PC, and your commercials don't seem to be working out like you'd expected.Mac: ...

PC: I'm a PC and we hit 40 million copies of Windows 7 from launch in October. How did your sales go Mac?
Mac:.....

Take that Apple thinking Windows 7 release would spur Mac sales.
Score
November 22, 2009 3:11:24 AM

RegulasYes great sales with a built in back door for the FEDS, all your base belongs to us. Dumb ass MS fanboys anyway, probably on their third crapobox 360 too.

I lovw Windows 7.

Psssst.... BTW, I don't do consoles. I do PC gaming. You know, what consoles leech off of to provide games to.

Sorry to burst your little theory bubble there and all but you are just dead wrong to say that at THG (Toms HARDWARE Guide) aka a PC enthusiast site where we mainly build, you guessed it custom PCs!!!!!
Score
November 22, 2009 6:30:14 AM

mitchmeister03Steve Ballmer "Frankenstein" (which makes NO sense... cause he's very animated unlike the said character)

Let's try to enlighten you a bit...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m6rqXHX3O48
http://www.flickr.com/photos/davehoffer/4041375654/
There is a striking visual resemblance... even an intellectual one, might be added.
mitchmeister03says something about windows makes it automatically true. So you are saying that Microsoft didn't actually sell as many units of 7 that independent studies have proved?

Which "independent studies"? The one from WSJ? Let's see:
"Speaking Thursday at the company's annual meeting, Ballmer said Windows 7 sales are "fantastic," but provided no numbers to support his claim. The Wall Street Journal helpfully puts the number at 40 million copies sold since the new operating system's Oct. 22 release.
That estimate is based on Vista having sold 20 million copies in its first month, the Journal said."
There are no numbers, just a guesstimation based on a circular argumentation...
mitchmeister03 And I have no idea what the "letting the monkey out" means.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wvsboPUjrGc
Sorry, but you're way too wintarded, Herr Doofmeister.
mitchmeister03I have been epic owned

Well, at least once you got it almost right...
Score
November 22, 2009 8:00:07 AM

anoLOL !this comment makes you an Apple's fanboy, so dont preach others about "fanboyism", please!

Um, one of the foundations of fanboyism is to call others fanboys. You comment makes no sense.
Score
November 22, 2009 10:05:30 AM

... this is what happens when you hear what the customer want...
Score
November 22, 2009 11:23:43 AM

randomizerUm, one of the foundations of fanboyism is to call others fanboys. You comment makes no sense.

exactly! that's what i wanted to say to Euphoria_MK !

maybe you should read his/her comment first ;) 
Score
November 22, 2009 8:34:05 PM

shadow703793Imo, not for a while, esp. if those businesses are still on XP and P4 type hardware and given the fact that businesses aren't spending much on extras these days.

Obviously you know nothing about what "businesses" are doing in regards to Win7. I just got back from a Windows 7 Conference and there were 212 separate businesses you were registered with this single conference alone. All of them have either already started with their implementation of Win7 or are already planning on going forward with Win7 by Q1 next year. Many businesses of all sizes have found it easy to convince their accounting dept, owners, or CFO that Win7 is the way to go. Especially considering that money hasn't been allocated for a client OS upgrade since 2001, or 2002 at nearly all companies.

Another thing you probably don't have a clue about is the fact that paring Win7 with Server 2008 R2 is a huge leap in stability, performance, and cost savings for businesses.

From what I have seen not only in my own company but in many others is that Win7 will dominate the business enivornment in about a year. Maybe less.
Score
Anonymous
November 22, 2009 9:41:20 PM

I'm still waiting for Ballmer to identify what the significant improvement(s) are. Is there any "Must Have" feature in Windows 7? Nice graphics and fluff certainly do not fall in that category.

Some of Microsoft's programs (like games) and other software have real compatibility problems with Windows 7.

Buying a new OS that breaks your existing programs does not seem to be much of an improvement.
Score
November 23, 2009 2:03:03 AM

xyz001lolway to be exited about microsoft selling this and this many off their updated OS.Off course they are going to sell well, since a huge part of computers sold the last couple of years were actually downgraded to XP because vista sucked hard.Face it. Windows is not a good OS, but it happens to be the one we all use because its the standard and all the software works with it. Reasons windows sucks:1.The UI is tasteless. (i know you nerds dont give a damn, but graphical quality is what seperates great products from mediocre ones). 2.The registry sucks. How come every installed software has to fuck up the system so hard that you have to re-install your pc every half year in order to make it fast and snappy? This is simply a bad system design. Period.3.Every small little thing about the system sucks. And this is because steve ballmer is an idiot. You can have all the talented people in the world, but if your leadership sucks, your product is going to suck. Imagine having a leader that honestly think google is bad?! Get a grip.Windows 7 works. But it is not great. There is simply nothing great about it. The good thing about it is that it runs the software we all use which is great.So stop fucking celebrating that windows 7 is selling some copies.

I don't see most your points as being valid.
I agree people skipped Vista for 7 however I do say that people who had the system that could run it (most of the issues were with speed) it ran fine.
The UI is one of the best out there, it even rivals that of OS X, and after using both I like Windows better. Much easier to navigate and much better at keeping track of all my running applications.
Your third point of all the small things suck? Please elaborate. You didn’t even mention one thing in particular.
First off the RTM has only been out for 3 or so months so how could you test the long term stability, responsiveness on it? So far I've have not had the normal drag that windows XP exhibits after long term use. However that was easily remedied if you know what you’re doing. Having over half your HD capacity filled on your OS drive is a significant performance hit, not properly cleaning your registry every so often is also a cause for your system to slow down. Not to mention all the crap that runs in your taskbar that isn't needed on startup (yes I know you love talking to bots on AIM but it doesn’t need to run when windows starts. There are tools to fix all of these “problems” you just need to know how to run them. But I guess that’s why I charge what I do for service.

Pablo 695I'm still waiting for Ballmer to identify what the significant improvement(s) are. Is there any "Must Have" feature in Windows 7? Nice graphics and fluff certainly do not fall in that category.Some of Microsoft's programs (like games) and other software have real compatibility problems with Windows 7. Buying a new OS that breaks your existing programs does not seem to be much of an improvement.

Score
!