Switching graphic card

hasu

Distinguished
Jun 22, 2002
In 2 days I'm gonna receive my new GF4 Ti4400 from ASUSTeK. I got a Pentium 2 ans some friend told me it would be working only at 20% capacities. I'll soon buy a new comp but i wasn't planning buying it right NOW. He told me that putting a GF4 in a P2 would "break" the bus from the card and in the new comp it won't work faster than in my Pentium 2. What do you think? Should I buy a new comp and don't eat for 1 week ? lol
Thanks for your help,
hasu

marneus

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I would go ahead & get the card... your P2 will still work fine it is just that to get the best performance out of it an Athlon/P4 system is needed... it depends on how fast your AGP bus runs 1x 2x or 4x and what your current CPU speed is (the difference on running a Kyro2 card on a P2-233 and a 1.2 Ghz Athlon is sizable but frankly it was still better performance than the old tnt2 card in my old P2 and I didnt starve while saving for my giga-PC... (hmmm food... hungry heh heh heh)

NB a graphics card will always perform better with a faster processor...

There are no stupid questions... just lots of inquisitive idiots...

hasu

Distinguished
Jun 22, 2002
I got a P2 400mhz with a 4x bus,, but you didn't answer to my main question: will it "break" the card to use it in a slow computer and then switch it to a better comp ?

Myrmecophagavir

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2002
Your friend is extraordinarily ill-informed. It won't "break" at all. That said, it might not work too well in your old computer if the power supply isn't rated high enough - back in the days of that spec, they were lower than you'd find in a typical computer now, and might not be able to supply enough power to run a fast new graphics card well. Just try it and see if it's stable.

marneus

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
extraordinarily ill-informed, nah... just doesnt seem to know much about PC hardware...

There are no stupid questions... just lots of inquisitive idiots...

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
You can get the card, and it will work. Later if you want to keep the computer a bit longer, you can usually upgrade to a PIII.

<font color=blue>At least half of all problems are caused by an insufficient power supply!</font color=blue>