WoW -- European release.

Last response: in Video Games
a b Ý World of Warcraft
December 2, 2004 4:20:08 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg,alt.games.diablo2 (More info?)

Just got a note from my game vendor: The German (and European) version
of WoW will hit the shelves on January 27th. Game cards will be offered
(31,50 Euro for 60 days), too. There's also a Collector's Edition that
includes both the CD and DVD versions (PC and Mac), a cloth map, "behind
the scenes" DVD, a picture book, a soundtrack CD, and an ingame pet.
Price for the Collector's Edition is TBA, the normal one is priced at
42,90 Euro (but that probably differs from vendor to vendor).

M.

More about : wow european release

Anonymous
a b Ý World of Warcraft
December 2, 2004 6:06:24 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg,alt.games.diablo2 (More info?)

Uzytkownik "Michael Vondung" <mvondung@gmail.com> napisal w wiadomosci
> Just got a note from my game vendor: The German (and European) version
> of WoW will hit the shelves on January 27th. Game cards will be offered
> (31,50 Euro for 60 days), too. There's also a Collector's Edition that
> includes both the CD and DVD versions (PC and Mac), a cloth map, "behind
> the scenes" DVD, a picture book, a soundtrack CD, and an ingame pet.
> Price for the Collector's Edition is TBA, the normal one is priced at
> 42,90 Euro (but that probably differs from vendor to vendor).

That'a a good news, 'cause according to previous info the European release
was supposed to be in the middle of February.
Anonymous
a b Ý World of Warcraft
December 2, 2004 6:55:57 AM

On Wed, 01 Dec 2004, u <u@me.com> wrote:

>> I had to buy a lame cockaroach in town :(

You've got several zillion within a few blocks of where you live...

>> At least my roach looks cool and doesn't stick out.

I'd have a cow... so I could eat Filet Minion when I got needy.

--

USEast HC Ladder: Rockstomper
a b Ý World of Warcraft

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg,alt.games.diablo2 (More info?)

On Thu, 02 Dec 2004 13:25:23 +0100, Michael Vondung
<mvondung@gmail.com> wrote:

>> Buy the Collectors edition.
>
>Okay, done so! That'll cost me a hundred Euro (135 USD) including three
>months, [...]

If you believe (and if I read that correctly) that you get 3 months
online play with the CE, then you are mistaken.

-Arnulf
Anonymous
a b Ý World of Warcraft
December 2, 2004 12:00:53 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg,alt.games.diablo2 (More info?)

it got released in austrilaia but i got told only like 250 coppies in the
country and all sold in 1 hour so i missed out till the nexted shipment im
really angry about it but i will just have to wait
"Michael Vondung" <mvondung@gmail.com> wrote in message
> Just got a note from my game vendor: The German (and European) version
> of WoW will hit the shelves on January 27th. Game cards will be offered
> (31,50 Euro for 60 days), too. There's also a Collector's Edition that
> includes both the CD and DVD versions (PC and Mac), a cloth map, "behind
> the scenes" DVD, a picture book, a soundtrack CD, and an ingame pet.
> Price for the Collector's Edition is TBA, the normal one is priced at
> 42,90 Euro (but that probably differs from vendor to vendor).
>
> M.
Anonymous
a b Ý World of Warcraft
December 2, 2004 12:35:53 PM

Michael Vondung schrieb:
> Just got a note from my game vendor: The German (and European) version
> of WoW will hit the shelves on January 27th. Game cards will be offered
> (31,50 Euro for 60 days), too. There's also a Collector's Edition that
> includes both the CD and DVD versions (PC and Mac), a cloth map, "behind
> the scenes" DVD, a picture book, a soundtrack CD, and an ingame pet.
> Price for the Collector's Edition is TBA, the normal one is priced at
> 42,90 Euro (but that probably differs from vendor to vendor).
>
> M.

Blizzard Shop as follow: <c&p from mail>

Sie bestellten:
Menge|Best Nr. |Produkt |Preis |Gesamt
1|BIZ1002 |World of Warcraft Collectors |EUR 69.95|EUR 69.95

And yes, it´s the pro-oder ce edition in german.

Shop can be found at:

http://www.edv-buchversand.de/blizzardshop/

waves
Uwe
Anonymous
a b Ý World of Warcraft
December 2, 2004 1:20:28 PM

Brian Brunner wrote:

> I'd have a cow...

Don't have a cow man.

> so I could eat Filet Minion when I got needy.

LOL
Anonymous
a b Ý World of Warcraft
December 2, 2004 3:01:40 PM

Michael Vondung wrote:
> u wrote:
>
>> Buy the Collectors edition.
>
> Okay, done so! That'll cost me a hundred Euro (135 USD) including
> three months, but since you seem to have gotten so totally dragged
> into this game, and since I know how you played D2, I think I'll
> enjoy it for at least that time, so that's not a bad fun return rate.
> I don't want to upgrade my machine right now for EQ2, and it seems
> that WoW works well enough with dial-up, so it's the best choice for
> now. (Now I only wish they had riddable horses!)

Just in case you missed what I said in another post--if a lot of loading and
load times are a big issue with you, which I'm sure they are, I doubt that
you'd want any part of EQ2 even with a broadband connection.

It's not that bad once you get in the outlying regions, but you still have
to deal with the rest a fair bit before getting there, and it can be a real
PITA. What's really fun is all the times I've been rezoning and ended up
back at the character selection screens--then you get two zone loadings for
the price of one. :-(

--
chainbreaker

If you need to email, then chainbreaker (naturally) at comcast dot
net--that's "net" not "com"--should do it.
Anonymous
a b Ý World of Warcraft
December 2, 2004 3:06:11 PM

Michael Vondung wrote:
> In a twisted way, I think this actually shows that Blizzard gives a
> damn. Instead of a causing their existing customers some grief and
> discomfort, they hold back new players until they can provide the
> necessaray capacity. That's actually noteworthy, since most companies
> would just have sold as many copies as possible, with little
> consideration for their existing players.

I'd say they want to avoid having to practically double their server
capacity overnight again. And I noticed that they extended the 30-day trial
period varying amounts for those who registered accounts the first few days.

Looks like they're trying, at least.

--
chainbreaker

If you need to email, then chainbreaker (naturally) at comcast dot
net--that's "net" not "com"--should do it.
Anonymous
a b Ý World of Warcraft
December 2, 2004 4:59:01 PM

Michael Vondung schrieb:

> What kind of pets do the Collector's Edition owners get? And how useful
> are they in the long run?
>
> This is going to be a long wait. Seven weeks.
>
> M.

http://de.wow-europe.com/pre-order/collectorsedition.sh...

waves
Uwe
Anonymous
a b Ý World of Warcraft
December 2, 2004 5:17:30 PM

Uwe Reithuber wrote:

> http://de.wow-europe.com/pre-order/collectorsedition.sh...

Thanks, very cool! For thirty Euro more than the regular game, this is a
lot of neat stuff. Looking forward to the cloth map and the picture
book, actually. My last cloth map dates back to UO, 1997. Still have it,
and the pin, too!

M.
Anonymous
a b Ý World of Warcraft
December 2, 2004 5:18:13 PM

Michael Vondung wrote:

> What kind of pets do the Collector's Edition owners get?

...a panda, a mini-diablo, and a zergling. One per character, so you can
try all three.

> And how useful are they in the long run?

...find soulstones and give them to your mini-diablo so he can use his
lightning breath, firenova and, lastly, armageddon.
...the zergling would morph into a Hydralisk, then you can choose between
Mutalisk, Lurker or Ultralisk.
...you can sell the Panda for a random amount of gold; it will
automatically come back to your character after 2 minutes, and you get to
keep the gold.

Of course, this is all unconfirmed.

> This is going to be a long wait. Seven weeks.
Anonymous
a b Ý World of Warcraft
December 2, 2004 5:23:09 PM

David Carson wrote:

> A mini-Diablo, a Zergling, or a baby Panda. They're not useful at all,
> they're purely ornamental. If you want a useful pet, make a Hunter
> character. :-)

I'll probably end up doing just that. I usually play ranged characters,
and preferably archers, unless I can't resist the lure of the arcane
arts. :)

> On the bright side, I expect the European launch to much smoother than
> the US/Canada/Australia/NZ one, I think Blizzard have learnt a thing or
> two from this. (I hope they have!)

The "collective knowledge" will also be larger, so I won't waste too
much time on trying to come up with working builds. ;)  I'm still ticked
off that Blizzard separates European and "rest of the world" players,
because it means that I can't play with most of the people here. I
wouldn't mind the additional lag, I just want the choice. Ah, well, I
hope that there won't be further restrictions, so that I can play on
European English realms, and don't *have* to play with only Germans. (I
don't mind that, but like I said, I value choice.)

We need a WoW newsgroup. Someone should volunteer and write a proposal. :)

M.
Anonymous
a b Ý World of Warcraft
December 2, 2004 5:25:21 PM

D.Jaffe wrote:

> The strange thing, my vendor told me it will be released on 14 jan :p  Maybe
> he's mistaken again :p  (happens a lot)

I'd not mind if he was right, you know! ;)  That'd still be almost six
weeks. Gah. All this time I managed to keep my interest in WoW on a
luke-warm level. But now that I spent some time reading about it, I'm
plagued by burning impatience. Damnit! :)

M.
Anonymous
a b Ý World of Warcraft
December 2, 2004 5:48:47 PM

I want the mini diablo :p

"Babe Bridou" <babebridou@hotmail.com> schreef in bericht
news:D 30ab1af1417b6821232e870a1a131cc$1@www.sonni.org...
> Michael Vondung wrote:
>
> > What kind of pets do the Collector's Edition owners get?
>
> ..a panda, a mini-diablo, and a zergling. One per character, so you can
> try all three.
>
> > And how useful are they in the long run?
>
> ..find soulstones and give them to your mini-diablo so he can use his
> lightning breath, firenova and, lastly, armageddon.
> ..the zergling would morph into a Hydralisk, then you can choose between
> Mutalisk, Lurker or Ultralisk.
> ..you can sell the Panda for a random amount of gold; it will
> automatically come back to your character after 2 minutes, and you get to
> keep the gold.
>
> Of course, this is all unconfirmed.
>
> > This is going to be a long wait. Seven weeks.

Anonymous
a b Ý World of Warcraft
December 2, 2004 7:30:17 PM

<mvondung@gmail.com> wrote:

>I don't want to
>upgrade my machine right now for EQ2, and it seems that WoW works well
>enough with dial-up, so it's the best choice for now. (Now I only wish
>they had riddable horses!)

Both EQ2 and WoW has mounts. In EQ2 it's horses all the way AFAIK, but
in WoW each race has its own mount type (Dwarfs ride mountain goats
twice their size :)
http://www.blizzard.com/wow/townhall/mounts.shtml

--
Regards
Simon Nejmann

> David Carson wrote:

> The "collective knowledge" will also be larger, so I won't waste too
> much time on trying to come up with working builds. ;)  I'm still ticked
> off that Blizzard separates European and "rest of the world" players,
> because it means that I can't play with most of the people here. I
> wouldn't mind the additional lag, I just want the choice. Ah, well, I
> hope that there won't be further restrictions, so that I can play on
> European English realms, and don't *have* to play with only Germans. (I
> don't mind that, but like I said, I value choice.)

Well, you actually can play right now on American servers. All you need to
do is give Australian adress when creating an account. After launch in
Europe it will be possible to play on European or American servers.
Anonymous
a b Ý World of Warcraft
December 2, 2004 7:36:12 PM

Mandella wrote:

> Well, you actually can play right now on American servers. All you need to
> do is give Australian adress when creating an account. After launch in
> Europe it will be possible to play on European or American servers.

Getting the US version of the game is too costly and involved right now,
though. I could manage the Australian address requirement, though. Have
an ex living there, and we're still on speaking terms. ;)  (Been years,
but she'd be happy to help.) So, when I get the European version, I
could enter an Australian address, and then choose freely between
American and European servers? Or do I need an American game version?

M.
Anonymous
a b Ý World of Warcraft
December 2, 2004 7:39:43 PM

Simon Nejmann wrote:

> http://www.blizzard.com/wow/townhall/mounts.shtml

Wow, very cool! Okay, maybe I should look into importing the damn game
after all.... ;)  Riddable mounts greatly enhance the gaming experience
for me (just adds a whole new level of immersion), and it's something
that only few games support. I believe it's sort of a UO leftover. It
creates the illusion that you're not "playing alone", even when you
solo. But maybe that's just me. I just like having pets or minions.

M.
Anonymous
a b Ý World of Warcraft
December 2, 2004 7:39:44 PM

Michael Vondung wrote:
> Simon Nejmann wrote:
>
>> http://www.blizzard.com/wow/townhall/mounts.shtml
>
> Wow, very cool! Okay, maybe I should look into importing the damn game
> after all.... ;)  Riddable mounts greatly enhance the gaming experience
> for me (just adds a whole new level of immersion), and it's something
> that only few games support. I believe it's sort of a UO leftover. It
> creates the illusion that you're not "playing alone", even when you
> solo. But maybe that's just me. I just like having pets or minions.
>
> M.

Calm down, a bit--you remember what happened the last time . . . :-)
--
chainbreaker

If you need to email, then chainbreaker (naturally) at comcast dot
net--that's "net" not "com"--should do it.
Anonymous
a b Ý World of Warcraft
December 2, 2004 7:56:06 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg,alt.games.diablo2 (More info?)

good one :)

Anex.....Explodeazon, aye caramba!

"SjoerdH" <shenstra@REVERSEmoc.liamg> wrote in message
> Brian Brunner wrote:
>>
>> I'd have a cow...
>
> Don't have a cow man.
>
> > so I could eat Filet Minion when I got needy.
>
> LOL
Anonymous
a b Ý World of Warcraft
December 2, 2004 7:56:43 PM

Arnulf Guenther Jr. wrote:

> If you believe (and if I read that correctly) that you get 3 months
> online play with the CE, then you are mistaken.

No, I meant that I ordered the CE and one set of gametime cards (sixty
days), so it's three months altogether. The CE is around seventy Euro,
and the cards thirty. That's roughly one hundred Euro for three months
of playing WoW (not counting phone fees), which is OK with me. Most
games I bought in recent years I only played perhaps twenty hours, and
that's an optimistic estimate. Judging by what I've seen and read so
far, I'll play WoW for much longer.

M.
Anonymous
a b Ý World of Warcraft
December 2, 2004 7:56:44 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg,alt.games.diablo2 (More info?)

On Thu, 02 Dec 2004 16:56:43 +0100, Michael Vondung
<mvondung@gmail.com> wrote:

> That's roughly one hundred Euro for three months
>of playing WoW (not counting phone fees), which is OK with me.

Ah.. okay. I got that one wrong, sorry.

-Arnulf
Anonymous
a b Ý World of Warcraft
December 2, 2004 7:58:28 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg,alt.games.diablo2 (More info?)

That map alone is worth the price. It's real easy to get lost.

Anex.....Explodeazon, initially only of course, eventually it feels like you
could navigate your little kingdom blindfolded if you had to.

> Uwe Reithuber wrote:
>
>> http://de.wow-europe.com/pre-order/collectorsedition.sh...
>
> Thanks, very cool! For thirty Euro more than the regular game, this is a
> lot of neat stuff. Looking forward to the cloth map and the picture book,
> actually. My last cloth map dates back to UO, 1997. Still have it, and the
> pin, too!
>
> M.
Anonymous
a b Ý World of Warcraft
December 2, 2004 8:07:43 PM

Michael Vondung schrieb:

> Mandella wrote:
>
>> Well, you actually can play right now on American servers. All you
>> need to
>> do is give Australian adress when creating an account. After launch in
>> Europe it will be possible to play on European or American servers.
>

> Getting the US version of the game is too costly and involved right now,
> though. I could manage the Australian address requirement, though. Have
> an ex living there, and we're still on speaking terms. ;)  (Been years,
> but she'd be happy to help.) So, when I get the European version, I
> could enter an Australian address, and then choose freely between
> American and European servers? Or do I need an American game version?
>
> M.

Sorry for not finding the following interview in english, here we go
with the german statement:

http://de.wow-europe.com/misc/insider/020/presstour.sht...

Werden sich europäische Spieler mit den US-Servern verbinden können,
nachdem das Spiel erschienen ist?

Wir glauben, dass es für europäische Spieler besser ist, wenn sie nur
auf europäischen Servern spielen können. Außerdem wird unser
europäisches Team die Spieler viel besser unterstützen können als das
US-Team. Aus diesem Grund werden sich Spieler von World of Warcraft nur
auf ihren lokalen Servern einloggen und dort spielen können. Allerdings
ist uns bewusst, dass manche europäische Spieler trotz unserer
Empfehlung auf den US-Servern spielen werden wollen. Für diese Spieler
wird Blizzard nach dem Erscheinen des Spiels in Europa eine spezielle
Lösung anbieten.

HTH

waves
Uwe
Anonymous
a b Ý World of Warcraft
December 2, 2004 8:09:34 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg,alt.games.diablo2 (More info?)

don't get to impatient for your private mount. They start off at 80 gold
each for the lowest level mounts. The highest level mounts cost 1000 gold.
I've played almost 2 weeks non-stop, killed a lot of monsters, started a
lucrative career as an enchanter, and earned a princely total of...1 gold,
23 silver, 93 copper.

For better or worse, there will obviously be items for sale on Ebay
eventually. I wonder what the WoW version of the SOJ will be. Probably the
1 gold piece I imagine.

Anex.....Explodeazon, . Oh, and 100 copper= 1 silver, 100 silver=1 gold.

> Simon Nejmann wrote:
>
>> http://www.blizzard.com/wow/townhall/mounts.shtml
>
> Wow, very cool! Okay, maybe I should look into importing the damn game
> after all.... ;)  Riddable mounts greatly enhance the gaming experience for
> me (just adds a whole new level of immersion), and it's something that
> only few games support. I believe it's sort of a UO leftover. It creates
> the illusion that you're not "playing alone", even when you solo. But
> maybe that's just me. I just like having pets or minions.
>
> M.
Anonymous
a b Ý World of Warcraft
December 2, 2004 8:16:32 PM

Uwe Reithuber wrote:

> Allerdings
> ist uns bewusst, dass manche europäische Spieler trotz unserer
> Empfehlung auf den US-Servern spielen werden wollen. Für diese Spieler
> wird Blizzard nach dem Erscheinen des Spiels in Europa eine spezielle
> Lösung anbieten.

Quick translation: "But we realise that some European players would, in
spite of our recommendation [to play on European servers], still prefer
to play on US servers. For these players, Blizzard will offer a solution
after the release of the game in Europe."

Now, that is good news. I do have a number of very treasured
American/Canadian friends that I'd love to play with occasionally. So,
this is really excellent news. :)  Thanks, Uwe! Also, my work schedule (I
work for an American company, so I tend to be around American business
times) frequently means that my recreation time takes place during the
American evening, which is exactly when Europeans are tugged in snuggly
and sleep soundly. I'd be an exceptionally happy camper if they allowed
me to choose where I play. As a paying customer, that's exactly what I
expect, too.

Thanks for the link -- was very insightful! :)

M.
Anonymous
a b Ý World of Warcraft
December 2, 2004 8:17:21 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg,alt.games.diablo2 (More info?)

If adding new servers equates to trying, then they are doing pretty well.
The total server count has grown to almost 40 now and I bet it doubles again
by the time Europe comes on line.

Anex.....Explodeazon, I've only experienced one server restart so far, no
disconnects, and no other grief. I know not everyone else has had that much
good fortune (guilds have to be recreated after server maintenance
sometimes) but I give them the benefit of the doubt.

"chainbreaker" <noone@nowhere.com> wrote in message
> Michael Vondung wrote:
>> In a twisted way, I think this actually shows that Blizzard gives a
>> damn. Instead of a causing their existing customers some grief and
>> discomfort, they hold back new players until they can provide the
>> necessaray capacity. That's actually noteworthy, since most companies
>> would just have sold as many copies as possible, with little
>> consideration for their existing players.
>
> I'd say they want to avoid having to practically double their server
> capacity overnight again. And I noticed that they extended the 30-day
> trial period varying amounts for those who registered accounts the first
> few days.
>
> Looks like they're trying, at least.
>
> --
> chainbreaker
>
> If you need to email, then chainbreaker (naturally) at comcast dot
> net--that's "net" not "com"--should do it.

Anonymous
a b Ý World of Warcraft
December 2, 2004 8:30:27 PM

<responded only to alt.games.diablo2>

I gave a guy an echo amulet in D2 for free, and had a bit of talk
afterward regarding WoW. He suggested that if I were to buy the game, I
should rush my char to level 40+ where gold becomes a more common drop.
I should then sell the gold on eBay to pay for my subscription. I have
never checked eBay since my online side business came to a halt, but
that guy said currently one WoW-Gold sells for more than a couple
D2-Tyrael's Might on eBay. Of course this would only happen during the
extreme early stage of WoW. Once those kids find out a way to dupe
gold, alas, everyone will be riding level 90 turbo-charged super
dragons.

Bing

"u" <u@mail.com> wrote in message news:319i14F37h02eU1@individual.net...
> don't get to impatient for your private mount. They start off at 80
> gold each for the lowest level mounts. The highest level mounts cost
> 1000 gold. I've played almost 2 weeks non-stop, killed a lot of
> monsters, started a lucrative career as an enchanter, and earned a
> princely total of...1 gold, 23 silver, 93 copper.
>
> For better or worse, there will obviously be items for sale on Ebay
> eventually. I wonder what the WoW version of the SOJ will be.
> Probably the 1 gold piece I imagine.
>
> Anex.....Explodeazon, . Oh, and 100 copper= 1 silver, 100 silver=1
> gold.
>

> "Michael Vondung" <mvondung@gmail.com> wrote in message
>> Simon Nejmann wrote:
>>
>>> http://www.blizzard.com/wow/townhall/mounts.shtml
>>
>> Wow, very cool! Okay, maybe I should look into importing the damn
>> game after all.... ;)  Riddable mounts greatly enhance the gaming
>> experience for me (just adds a whole new level of immersion), and
>> it's something that only few games support. I believe it's sort of a
>> UO leftover. It creates the illusion that you're not "playing alone",
>> even when you solo. But maybe that's just me. I just like having pets
>> or minions.
>>
>> M.

Anonymous
a b Ý World of Warcraft
December 2, 2004 8:41:21 PM

Uwe Reithuber wrote:

> 1|BIZ1002 |World of Warcraft Collectors |EUR 69.95|EUR 69.95

A very reasonable price, considering the stuff that's included. I
ordered from okaysoft.de (they deliver via invoice, and are very
reliable), but seventy Euro is perfectly fine with me. Just thirty more
Euro than the regular version without all the fancy stuff. :)

M.
Anonymous
a b Ý World of Warcraft
December 2, 2004 8:50:03 PM

> Getting the US version of the game is too costly and involved right
> now, though. I could manage the Australian address requirement,
> though. Have an ex living there, and we're still on speaking terms. ;)
> (Been years, but she'd be happy to help.) So, when I get the European
> version, I could enter an Australian address, and then choose freely
> between American and European servers? Or do I need an American game
> version?

If you really are dying for it, I can *try* buying it for you from the
store and mail to you. I don't know how much the package weighs, but if
it's less than 4 lbs I can use Global Priority Mail
(http://www.usps.com/global/globalprioritymail.htm) which will cost 9
bucks for postage and about 4-6 days for delivery. The game box has to
be either left out or flattened in order to fit into the GPM envelop/box
though. Email me if you're excited about this.

Bing
Anonymous
a b Ý World of Warcraft
December 2, 2004 9:50:46 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg,alt.games.diablo2 (More info?)

In article <9RArd.55959$K7.15703@news-server.bigpond.net.au>, custards1
@hotmail.com says...

> it got released in austrilaia but i got told only like 250 coppies in the
> country and all sold in 1 hour so i missed out till the nexted shipment im
> really angry about it but i will just have to wait

Ouch!

We have a really large electronics retailer in Canada called Futureshop.
I was told (by one of their salesfolk) that all collector's edition
copies in the area (cities!) sold out at 10am that day (23rd).
Coincidentally, 10am was also the time that Futureshop opened.

.... it took me something like seven hours of transit, waiting and
calling around to finally secure a copy. I think it was worth it,
though. :)  I was lucky, because I found a number of copies in a Best Buy
that was so new (<2 weeks!) that nobody seemed to know about it.
--
-==[UDIC]==-
http://www.fictionpress.com/~wtcher

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg,alt.games.diablo2 (More info?)

On Thu, 02 Dec 2004 17:16:32 +0100, Michael Vondung
<mvondung@gmail.com> wrote:

>Uwe Reithuber wrote:
>
>> Allerdings
>> ist uns bewusst, dass manche europäische Spieler trotz unserer
>> Empfehlung auf den US-Servern spielen werden wollen. Für diese Spieler
>> wird Blizzard nach dem Erscheinen des Spiels in Europa eine spezielle
>> Lösung anbieten.
>
>Quick translation: "But we realise that some European players would, in
>spite of our recommendation [to play on European servers], still prefer
>to play on US servers. For these players, Blizzard will offer a solution
>after the release of the game in Europe."
>
>Now, that is good news. I do have a number of very treasured
>American/Canadian friends that I'd love to play with occasionally. So,
>this is really excellent news. :)  Thanks, Uwe! Also, my work schedule (I
>work for an American company, so I tend to be around American business
>times) frequently means that my recreation time takes place during the
>American evening, which is exactly when Europeans are tugged in snuggly
>and sleep soundly. I'd be an exceptionally happy camper if they allowed
>me to choose where I play. As a paying customer, that's exactly what I
>expect, too.
>
>Thanks for the link -- was very insightful! :)
>
>M.

Insightful to me as well. I have to say WoW (pun intended)! Thanks for
that bit of news. I am really pleased that Blizzard have seen the
light on this and will now be allowing people to play on any of the
servers regardless of their geographical location. They hadn't
originally planned this and I have been posting a few tirades in
various news groups about their initial plan to keep Europeans apart
from the North Americans/Aussies/Kiwis and apart from the Asians also.
Separating the MMORPG community would have been a terrible decision.
It looks like I will have to order WoW after all.

BB.
Anonymous
a b Ý World of Warcraft
December 3, 2004 4:21:18 AM

In comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg Wtcher <nospambirdy@ultima-dragons.org> wrote:
> In article <9RArd.55959$K7.15703@news-server.bigpond.net.au>, custards1
> @hotmail.com says...
>>
>> it got released in austrilaia but i got told only like 250 coppies in the
>> country and all sold in 1 hour so i missed out till the nexted shipment im
>> really angry about it but i will just have to wait
>
> Ouch!
>
> We have a really large electronics retailer in Canada called Futureshop.
> I was told (by one of their salesfolk) that all collector's edition
> copies in the area (cities!) sold out at 10am that day (23rd).
> Coincidentally, 10am was also the time that Futureshop opened.

pretty good for a game that wasn't hyped.
Anonymous
a b Ý World of Warcraft
December 3, 2004 4:22:42 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg,alt.games.diablo2 (More info?)

> Halo 2 on the other hand
I would have to say the same for here in aussi the only reason i knew of its
realease was this news group i went into 1 shop that had no coppies left and
not even a dispaly stand at all i had to ask to find out about it
Anonymous
a b Ý World of Warcraft
December 3, 2004 5:30:08 AM

In comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg custard <custards1@hotmail.com> wrote:

>> Halo 2 on the other hand
> I would have to say the same for here in aussi the only reason i knew of its
> realease was this news group i went into 1 shop that had no coppies left and
> not even a dispaly stand at all i had to ask to find out about it

so what you're saying is it wasn't hyped because you didn't know about
it but when you went in to buy it it was completely sold out even though
they didn't even have a display stand? ok, gotcha.
Anonymous
a b Ý World of Warcraft
December 3, 2004 6:14:54 AM

"i own a yacht" <me@privacy.net> wrote in message
> In comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg custard <custards1@hotmail.com> wrote:
> >

> >> Halo 2 on the other hand
> > I would have to say the same for here in aussi the only reason i knew of
its
> > realease was this news group i went into 1 shop that had no coppies left
and
> > not even a dispaly stand at all i had to ask to find out about it
>
> so what you're saying is it wasn't hyped because you didn't know about
> it but when you went in to buy it it was completely sold out even though
> they didn't even have a display stand? ok, gotcha.
they only had 6 coppies 250 for the hole of aussi it dont take long to stll
that amongest 3 mil people
Anonymous
a b Ý World of Warcraft
December 3, 2004 6:14:55 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg,alt.games.diablo2 (More info?)

In article <OSQrd.56739$K7.6746@news-server.bigpond.net.au>,
"custard" <custards1@hotmail.com> wrote:

> > so what you're saying is it wasn't hyped because you didn't know about
> > it but when you went in to buy it it was completely sold out even though
> > they didn't even have a display stand? ok, gotcha.

> they only had 6 coppies 250 for the hole of aussi it dont take long to stll
> that amongest 3 mil people

Can someone translate that to yank for me...?

(the "...6 coppies 250 for..." part -- I think I got the rest.)

--
Please take off your shoes before arriving at my in-box.
I will not, no matter how "good" the deal, patronise any business which sends

chainbreaker wrote:

> Calm down, a bit--you remember what happened the last time . . . :-)

I won't even play for several weeks, so by the time I can, there'll be
accounts of riding adventures. ;)

Don't remind me of Sacred, I'm still recovering!

M.
Anonymous
a b Ý World of Warcraft
December 3, 2004 9:59:44 AM

Miss Elaine Eos wrote:

> Can someone translate that to yank for me...?
> (the "...6 coppies 250 for..." part -- I think I got the rest.)

He was saying that Australian vendors (all of them) received only 250
copies of WoW. Of these 250 copies, his vendor received merely six.

M.
Anonymous
a b Ý World of Warcraft
December 3, 2004 10:06:04 AM

Michael Vondung wrote:
> chainbreaker wrote:
>
>> Calm down, a bit--you remember what happened the last time . . . :-)
>
> I won't even play for several weeks, so by the time I can, there'll be
> accounts of riding adventures. ;)
>
> Don't remind me of Sacred, I'm still recovering!
>
> M.

Heh.

And I canceled my EQ2 account last night.

It's a great game, more "sophisticated", and may even have more overall
content, at least more "layers" of content than WoW.

OTOH WoW is more seamless, little time is wasted with loading screens, zone
changes, and initially entering the game, and gameplay is *much* more
conducive to the short sessions I often only have time for. Every time I've
started the game, it's been less than a minute (probably no more than half a
minute) until I'm *in* the game. And the only time I've noticed any lag
stutter at all is very briefly upon entering the game with a newly-created
character.

Only after a direct comparison between the two did I realize just exactly
aggravating EQ2's slow, myriad zone loadings really are. Deciding factor,
just like you already knew for yourself. :-)

But I'm not precluding perhaps returning to EQ2, either--hell, I may just
swap accounts monthly or something, lol.

It's a real bitch having *two* games you really enjoy after such a drought,
and not really having the time to play even one. :-|
--
chainbreaker

If you need to email, then chainbreaker (naturally) at comcast dot
net--that's "net" not "com"--should do it.
Anonymous
a b Ý World of Warcraft
December 3, 2004 10:19:34 AM

In comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg Michael Vondung <mvondung@gmail.com> wrote:
> Miss Elaine Eos wrote:
>
>> Can someone translate that to yank for me...?
>> (the "...6 coppies 250 for..." part -- I think I got the rest.)
>
> He was saying that Australian vendors (all of them) received only 250
> copies of WoW. Of these 250 copies, his vendor received merely six.

i find it difficult to believe that australia, as a whole, only received
250 copies. that doesn't make much sense.
Anonymous
a b Ý World of Warcraft
December 3, 2004 12:10:50 PM

perhaps, but the game isn't set up to where having a flying horsey is the
be-all, end-all. They just get you around, that's all. Saves you walking
for 20 minutes.

Anex.....Explodeazon, it's like adding a bunch of Fastest Run/Walk gear in
D2, helpful, but not critical.

"Bingain" <bingain@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> <responded only to alt.games.diablo2>
>
> I gave a guy an echo amulet in D2 for free, and had a bit of talk
> afterward regarding WoW. He suggested that if I were to buy the game, I
> should rush my char to level 40+ where gold becomes a more common drop. I
> should then sell the gold on eBay to pay for my subscription. I have
> never checked eBay since my online side business came to a halt, but that
> guy said currently one WoW-Gold sells for more than a couple D2-Tyrael's
> Might on eBay. Of course this would only happen during the extreme early
> stage of WoW. Once those kids find out a way to dupe gold, alas, everyone
> will be riding level 90 turbo-charged super dragons.
>
> Bing
>

> "u" <u@mail.com> wrote in message news:319i14F37h02eU1@individual.net...
>> don't get to impatient for your private mount. They start off at 80 gold
>> each for the lowest level mounts. The highest level mounts cost 1000
>> gold. I've played almost 2 weeks non-stop, killed a lot of monsters,
>> started a lucrative career as an enchanter, and earned a princely total
>> of...1 gold, 23 silver, 93 copper.
>>
>> For better or worse, there will obviously be items for sale on Ebay
>> eventually. I wonder what the WoW version of the SOJ will be. Probably
>> the 1 gold piece I imagine.
>>
>> Anex.....Explodeazon, . Oh, and 100 copper= 1 silver, 100 silver=1 gold.
>>

>> "Michael Vondung" <mvondung@gmail.com> wrote in message

>>> Wow, very cool! Okay, maybe I should look into importing the damn game
>>> after all.... ;)  Riddable mounts greatly enhance the gaming experience
>>> for me (just adds a whole new level of immersion), and it's something
>>> that only few games support. I believe it's sort of a UO leftover. It
>>> creates the illusion that you're not "playing alone", even when you
>>> solo. But maybe that's just me. I just like having pets or minions.
>>>
>>> M.

Anonymous
a b Ý World of Warcraft
December 3, 2004 5:19:25 PM

chainbreaker wrote:

> Let me know if, when. I know time zone is a problem, but I'd still
> like to have a character on whatever server you're on, just in case.
> :-)

It seems that WoW is sold out everywhere in North-America. She'll be in
a larger city tomorrow, and said she'd look. If she finds a box, it
would still be two weeks before it arrives here. That's better than
nearly two months (though I'd buy the CE anyway, but I'm obscene like
that!), but still quite a while. I do have time around Christmas, so,
it'd be kind of nice. Well, wish me (and her) luck. :)

M.
Anonymous
a b Ý World of Warcraft
December 3, 2004 5:26:41 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg,alt.games.diablo2 (More info?)

On Fri, 3 Dec 2004 07:06:04 -0500, "chainbreaker" <noone@nowhere.com>
wrote:

>It's a real bitch having *two* games you really enjoy after such a drought,
>and not really having the time to play even one. :-|

Yeah, there's just not enough time in the day to play 2 mmorpgs.

And what's with all the carrots ?
a b Ý World of Warcraft
December 3, 2004 6:03:20 PM

Michael Vondung wrote:

> chainbreaker wrote:

>> And I canceled my EQ2 account last night.

>> Only after a direct comparison between the two did I realize just
>> exactly aggravating EQ2's slow, myriad zone loadings really are.
>> Deciding factor, just like you already knew for yourself. :-)

> Yes, zoning really kills immersion for me, and is simply disruptive.
> Like you, I play "when I can and feel like it", both of which are
> unpredictable and depend on external factors (job, chiefly). When I
> play, I want to do just that: play. Not wait around, get angry because
> of low frame rates, or get hindered by artificial limitations that may
> reduce griefing, but are a bigger annoyance than a griefer could ever
> be. I also like my current machine and don't want to upgrade before
> it's necessary. EQ2 would require it, WoW does not.

...Same here. If I ever were to try a Massive Multiplayer Online
Role-Playing Game, that would be World of Warcraft, for exactly the same
reasons as Michael. I don't want to fall again into the time-sink trap
that is "zoning" and loading lag.

On a completely OT but related matter, loading times are really, really
important in any game. I've just decided to join an Half-Life 2
speedrunning project; speedrunning was great in Quake and Doom, because
you were constantly playing. In HL2, it'll be a pain for sure: 50 seconds
to reload the level after every attempt to beat an 11 seconds run...
Anonymous
a b Ý World of Warcraft
December 3, 2004 11:06:41 PM

i own a yacht wrote:
> In comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg Michael Vondung <mvondung@gmail.com> wrote:
>>He was saying that Australian vendors (all of them) received only 250
>>copies of WoW. Of these 250 copies, his vendor received merely six.
>
> i find it difficult to believe that australia, as a whole, only received
> 250 copies. that doesn't make much sense.

I vaguely recall someone saying that Australia only received 250 copies
of the _Collector's Edition_. Certainly there was no such huge
limitation on the supplies of the regular edition. It's currently the #1
selling game at the online store I bought it from
(http://www.gameswarehouse.com.au/) and you don't achieve that with only
250 copies in the whole country.

Cheers!
David...
Anonymous
a b Ý World of Warcraft
December 4, 2004 12:44:31 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg,alt.games.diablo2 (More info?)

I just asked him again, cause they was a problem with my order (was the
normal version and not the CE.
He checked on his computer and he still says 14 jan.

But it takes sooo long, doesn't it :p

"Michael Vondung" <mvondung@gmail.com> schreef in bericht
> D.Jaffe wrote:
>
> > The strange thing, my vendor told me it will be released on 14 jan :p
Maybe
> > he's mistaken again :p  (happens a lot)
>
> I'd not mind if he was right, you know! ;)  That'd still be almost six
> weeks. Gah. All this time I managed to keep my interest in WoW on a
> luke-warm level. But now that I spent some time reading about it, I'm
> plagued by burning impatience. Damnit! :)
>
> M.
Anonymous
a b Ý World of Warcraft
December 4, 2004 11:44:13 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg,alt.games.diablo2 (More info?)

"Michael Vondung" <mvondung@gmail.com> wrote in message
> Just got a note from my game vendor: The German (and European)
> version of WoW will hit the shelves on January 27th. Game cards will
> be offered (31,50 Euro for 60 days), too. There's also a Collector's
> Edition that includes both the CD and DVD versions (PC and Mac), a
> cloth map, "behind the scenes" DVD, a picture book, a soundtrack CD,
> and an ingame pet. Price for the Collector's Edition is TBA, the
> normal one is priced at 42,90 Euro (but that probably differs from
> vendor to vendor).
>
> M.

If it is anything like Australia, each vendor will receive a tiny
number of copies that will be sold out well before they actually reach
the shelves.
Definitely consider pre-ordering.

cheers,
Stu.

---
a b Ý World of Warcraft
December 5, 2004 5:33:49 PM

chainbreaker wrote:

> Let me know if, when. I know time zone is a problem, but I'd still like to
> have a character on whatever server you're on, just in case. :-)

Pooey. She checked a number of stores today, but none of them had WoW.
Sold out. Oh, well. Dang, how annoying is that! So, I'm back to a six to
eight weeks wait ... and then it's still a matter of whether or not
Blizzard provides that "unrecommended" way for Europeans to play on U.S.
servers.

I could get really worked up over that. We live in 2004, and it's so
un-cosmopolitan to separate people based on their geographical location.
It's against everything that the internet stands for, and a real step
back. Perhaps they did this to lessen the load of the American realms at
launch (and to ensure that enough copies are sold in Europe), which I
could somewhat understand ... but they could simply say this. I would be
silly to have to buy TWO copies of the game and subscribe twice.

M.
!