WoW -- European release.

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg,alt.games.diablo2 (More info?)

Just got a note from my game vendor: The German (and European) version
of WoW will hit the shelves on January 27th. Game cards will be offered
(31,50 Euro for 60 days), too. There's also a Collector's Edition that
includes both the CD and DVD versions (PC and Mac), a cloth map, "behind
the scenes" DVD, a picture book, a soundtrack CD, and an ingame pet.
Price for the Collector's Edition is TBA, the normal one is priced at
42,90 Euro (but that probably differs from vendor to vendor).

M.
52 answers Last reply
More about european release
  1. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg,alt.games.diablo2 (More info?)

    Uzytkownik "Michael Vondung" <mvondung@gmail.com> napisal w wiadomosci
    > Just got a note from my game vendor: The German (and European) version
    > of WoW will hit the shelves on January 27th. Game cards will be offered
    > (31,50 Euro for 60 days), too. There's also a Collector's Edition that
    > includes both the CD and DVD versions (PC and Mac), a cloth map, "behind
    > the scenes" DVD, a picture book, a soundtrack CD, and an ingame pet.
    > Price for the Collector's Edition is TBA, the normal one is priced at
    > 42,90 Euro (but that probably differs from vendor to vendor).

    That'a a good news, 'cause according to previous info the European release
    was supposed to be in the middle of February.
  2. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg,alt.games.diablo2 (More info?)

    On Wed, 01 Dec 2004, u <u@me.com> wrote:

    >> I had to buy a lame cockaroach in town :(

    You've got several zillion within a few blocks of where you live...

    >> At least my roach looks cool and doesn't stick out.

    I'd have a cow... so I could eat Filet Minion when I got needy.

    --

    USEast HC Ladder: Rockstomper
  3. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg,alt.games.diablo2 (More info?)

    On Thu, 02 Dec 2004 13:25:23 +0100, Michael Vondung
    <mvondung@gmail.com> wrote:

    >> Buy the Collectors edition.
    >
    >Okay, done so! That'll cost me a hundred Euro (135 USD) including three
    >months, [...]

    If you believe (and if I read that correctly) that you get 3 months
    online play with the CE, then you are mistaken.

    -Arnulf
  4. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg,alt.games.diablo2 (More info?)

    it got released in austrilaia but i got told only like 250 coppies in the
    country and all sold in 1 hour so i missed out till the nexted shipment im
    really angry about it but i will just have to wait
    "Michael Vondung" <mvondung@gmail.com> wrote in message
    > Just got a note from my game vendor: The German (and European) version
    > of WoW will hit the shelves on January 27th. Game cards will be offered
    > (31,50 Euro for 60 days), too. There's also a Collector's Edition that
    > includes both the CD and DVD versions (PC and Mac), a cloth map, "behind
    > the scenes" DVD, a picture book, a soundtrack CD, and an ingame pet.
    > Price for the Collector's Edition is TBA, the normal one is priced at
    > 42,90 Euro (but that probably differs from vendor to vendor).
    >
    > M.
  5. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg,alt.games.diablo2 (More info?)

    Michael Vondung schrieb:
    > Just got a note from my game vendor: The German (and European) version
    > of WoW will hit the shelves on January 27th. Game cards will be offered
    > (31,50 Euro for 60 days), too. There's also a Collector's Edition that
    > includes both the CD and DVD versions (PC and Mac), a cloth map, "behind
    > the scenes" DVD, a picture book, a soundtrack CD, and an ingame pet.
    > Price for the Collector's Edition is TBA, the normal one is priced at
    > 42,90 Euro (but that probably differs from vendor to vendor).
    >
    > M.

    Blizzard Shop as follow: <c&p from mail>

    Sie bestellten:
    Menge|Best Nr. |Produkt |Preis |Gesamt
    1|BIZ1002 |World of Warcraft Collectors |EUR 69.95|EUR 69.95

    And yes, it´s the pro-oder ce edition in german.

    Shop can be found at:

    http://www.edv-buchversand.de/blizzardshop/

    waves
    Uwe
  6. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg,alt.games.diablo2 (More info?)

    Brian Brunner wrote:

    > I'd have a cow...

    Don't have a cow man.

    > so I could eat Filet Minion when I got needy.

    LOL
  7. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg,alt.games.diablo2 (More info?)

    Michael Vondung wrote:
    > u wrote:
    >
    >> Buy the Collectors edition.
    >
    > Okay, done so! That'll cost me a hundred Euro (135 USD) including
    > three months, but since you seem to have gotten so totally dragged
    > into this game, and since I know how you played D2, I think I'll
    > enjoy it for at least that time, so that's not a bad fun return rate.
    > I don't want to upgrade my machine right now for EQ2, and it seems
    > that WoW works well enough with dial-up, so it's the best choice for
    > now. (Now I only wish they had riddable horses!)

    Just in case you missed what I said in another post--if a lot of loading and
    load times are a big issue with you, which I'm sure they are, I doubt that
    you'd want any part of EQ2 even with a broadband connection.

    It's not that bad once you get in the outlying regions, but you still have
    to deal with the rest a fair bit before getting there, and it can be a real
    PITA. What's really fun is all the times I've been rezoning and ended up
    back at the character selection screens--then you get two zone loadings for
    the price of one. :-(

    --
    chainbreaker

    If you need to email, then chainbreaker (naturally) at comcast dot
    net--that's "net" not "com"--should do it.
  8. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg,alt.games.diablo2 (More info?)

    Michael Vondung wrote:
    > In a twisted way, I think this actually shows that Blizzard gives a
    > damn. Instead of a causing their existing customers some grief and
    > discomfort, they hold back new players until they can provide the
    > necessaray capacity. That's actually noteworthy, since most companies
    > would just have sold as many copies as possible, with little
    > consideration for their existing players.

    I'd say they want to avoid having to practically double their server
    capacity overnight again. And I noticed that they extended the 30-day trial
    period varying amounts for those who registered accounts the first few days.

    Looks like they're trying, at least.

    --
    chainbreaker

    If you need to email, then chainbreaker (naturally) at comcast dot
    net--that's "net" not "com"--should do it.
  9. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg,alt.games.diablo2 (More info?)

    Michael Vondung schrieb:

    > What kind of pets do the Collector's Edition owners get? And how useful
    > are they in the long run?
    >
    > This is going to be a long wait. Seven weeks.
    >
    > M.

    http://de.wow-europe.com/pre-order/collectorsedition.shtml

    waves
    Uwe
  10. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg,alt.games.diablo2 (More info?)

    Uwe Reithuber wrote:

    > http://de.wow-europe.com/pre-order/collectorsedition.shtml

    Thanks, very cool! For thirty Euro more than the regular game, this is a
    lot of neat stuff. Looking forward to the cloth map and the picture
    book, actually. My last cloth map dates back to UO, 1997. Still have it,
    and the pin, too!

    M.

    Michael Vondung wrote:

    > What kind of pets do the Collector's Edition owners get?

    ...a panda, a mini-diablo, and a zergling. One per character, so you can
    try all three.

    > And how useful are they in the long run?

    ...find soulstones and give them to your mini-diablo so he can use his
    lightning breath, firenova and, lastly, armageddon.
    ...the zergling would morph into a Hydralisk, then you can choose between
    Mutalisk, Lurker or Ultralisk.
    ...you can sell the Panda for a random amount of gold; it will
    automatically come back to your character after 2 minutes, and you get to
    keep the gold.

    Of course, this is all unconfirmed.

    > This is going to be a long wait. Seven weeks.
  12. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg,alt.games.diablo2 (More info?)

    David Carson wrote:

    > A mini-Diablo, a Zergling, or a baby Panda. They're not useful at all,
    > they're purely ornamental. If you want a useful pet, make a Hunter
    > character. :-)

    I'll probably end up doing just that. I usually play ranged characters,
    and preferably archers, unless I can't resist the lure of the arcane
    arts. :)

    > On the bright side, I expect the European launch to much smoother than
    > the US/Canada/Australia/NZ one, I think Blizzard have learnt a thing or
    > two from this. (I hope they have!)

    The "collective knowledge" will also be larger, so I won't waste too
    much time on trying to come up with working builds. ;) I'm still ticked
    off that Blizzard separates European and "rest of the world" players,
    because it means that I can't play with most of the people here. I
    wouldn't mind the additional lag, I just want the choice. Ah, well, I
    hope that there won't be further restrictions, so that I can play on
    European English realms, and don't *have* to play with only Germans. (I
    don't mind that, but like I said, I value choice.)

    We need a WoW newsgroup. Someone should volunteer and write a proposal. :)

    M.
  13. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg,alt.games.diablo2 (More info?)

    D.Jaffe wrote:

    > The strange thing, my vendor told me it will be released on 14 jan :p Maybe
    > he's mistaken again :p (happens a lot)

    I'd not mind if he was right, you know! ;) That'd still be almost six
    weeks. Gah. All this time I managed to keep my interest in WoW on a
    luke-warm level. But now that I spent some time reading about it, I'm
    plagued by burning impatience. Damnit! :)

    M.

    I want the mini diablo :p

    "Babe Bridou" <babebridou@hotmail.com> schreef in bericht
    > Michael Vondung wrote:
    >
    > > What kind of pets do the Collector's Edition owners get?
    >
    > ..a panda, a mini-diablo, and a zergling. One per character, so you can
    > try all three.
    >
    > > And how useful are they in the long run?
    >
    > ..find soulstones and give them to your mini-diablo so he can use his
    > lightning breath, firenova and, lastly, armageddon.
    > ..the zergling would morph into a Hydralisk, then you can choose between
    > Mutalisk, Lurker or Ultralisk.
    > ..you can sell the Panda for a random amount of gold; it will
    > automatically come back to your character after 2 minutes, and you get to
    > keep the gold.
    >
    > Of course, this is all unconfirmed.
    >
    > > This is going to be a long wait. Seven weeks.

  15. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg,alt.games.diablo2 (More info?)

    <mvondung@gmail.com> wrote:

    >I don't want to
    >upgrade my machine right now for EQ2, and it seems that WoW works well
    >enough with dial-up, so it's the best choice for now. (Now I only wish
    >they had riddable horses!)

    Both EQ2 and WoW has mounts. In EQ2 it's horses all the way AFAIK, but
    in WoW each race has its own mount type (Dwarfs ride mountain goats
    twice their size :)
    http://www.blizzard.com/wow/townhall/mounts.shtml

    --
    Regards
    Simon Nejmann

    > David Carson wrote:

    > The "collective knowledge" will also be larger, so I won't waste too
    > much time on trying to come up with working builds. ;) I'm still ticked
    > off that Blizzard separates European and "rest of the world" players,
    > because it means that I can't play with most of the people here. I
    > wouldn't mind the additional lag, I just want the choice. Ah, well, I
    > hope that there won't be further restrictions, so that I can play on
    > European English realms, and don't *have* to play with only Germans. (I
    > don't mind that, but like I said, I value choice.)

    Well, you actually can play right now on American servers. All you need to
    do is give Australian adress when creating an account. After launch in
    Europe it will be possible to play on European or American servers.
  17. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg,alt.games.diablo2 (More info?)

    Mandella wrote:

    > Well, you actually can play right now on American servers. All you need to
    > do is give Australian adress when creating an account. After launch in
    > Europe it will be possible to play on European or American servers.

    Getting the US version of the game is too costly and involved right now,
    though. I could manage the Australian address requirement, though. Have
    an ex living there, and we're still on speaking terms. ;) (Been years,
    but she'd be happy to help.) So, when I get the European version, I
    could enter an Australian address, and then choose freely between
    American and European servers? Or do I need an American game version?

    M.
  18. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg,alt.games.diablo2 (More info?)

    Simon Nejmann wrote:

    > http://www.blizzard.com/wow/townhall/mounts.shtml

    Wow, very cool! Okay, maybe I should look into importing the damn game
    after all.... ;) Riddable mounts greatly enhance the gaming experience
    for me (just adds a whole new level of immersion), and it's something
    that only few games support. I believe it's sort of a UO leftover. It
    creates the illusion that you're not "playing alone", even when you
    solo. But maybe that's just me. I just like having pets or minions.

    M.
  19. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg,alt.games.diablo2 (More info?)

    Michael Vondung wrote:
    > Simon Nejmann wrote:
    >
    >> http://www.blizzard.com/wow/townhall/mounts.shtml
    >
    > Wow, very cool! Okay, maybe I should look into importing the damn game
    > after all.... ;) Riddable mounts greatly enhance the gaming experience
    > for me (just adds a whole new level of immersion), and it's something
    > that only few games support. I believe it's sort of a UO leftover. It
    > creates the illusion that you're not "playing alone", even when you
    > solo. But maybe that's just me. I just like having pets or minions.
    >
    > M.

    Calm down, a bit--you remember what happened the last time . . . :-)
    --
    chainbreaker

    If you need to email, then chainbreaker (naturally) at comcast dot
    net--that's "net" not "com"--should do it.
  20. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg,alt.games.diablo2 (More info?)

    good one :)

    Anex.....Explodeazon, aye caramba!

    "SjoerdH" <shenstra@REVERSEmoc.liamg> wrote in message
    > Brian Brunner wrote:
    >>
    >> I'd have a cow...
    >
    > Don't have a cow man.
    >
    > > so I could eat Filet Minion when I got needy.
    >
    > LOL
  21. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg,alt.games.diablo2 (More info?)

    Arnulf Guenther Jr. wrote:

    > If you believe (and if I read that correctly) that you get 3 months
    > online play with the CE, then you are mistaken.

    No, I meant that I ordered the CE and one set of gametime cards (sixty
    days), so it's three months altogether. The CE is around seventy Euro,
    and the cards thirty. That's roughly one hundred Euro for three months
    of playing WoW (not counting phone fees), which is OK with me. Most
    games I bought in recent years I only played perhaps twenty hours, and
    that's an optimistic estimate. Judging by what I've seen and read so
    far, I'll play WoW for much longer.

    M.
  22. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg,alt.games.diablo2 (More info?)

    On Thu, 02 Dec 2004 16:56:43 +0100, Michael Vondung
    <mvondung@gmail.com> wrote:

    > That's roughly one hundred Euro for three months
    >of playing WoW (not counting phone fees), which is OK with me.

    Ah.. okay. I got that one wrong, sorry.

    -Arnulf
  23. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg,alt.games.diablo2 (More info?)

    That map alone is worth the price. It's real easy to get lost.

    Anex.....Explodeazon, initially only of course, eventually it feels like you
    could navigate your little kingdom blindfolded if you had to.

    > Uwe Reithuber wrote:
    >
    >> http://de.wow-europe.com/pre-order/collectorsedition.shtml
    >
    > Thanks, very cool! For thirty Euro more than the regular game, this is a
    > lot of neat stuff. Looking forward to the cloth map and the picture book,
    > actually. My last cloth map dates back to UO, 1997. Still have it, and the
    > pin, too!
    >
    > M.
  24. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg,alt.games.diablo2 (More info?)

    Michael Vondung schrieb:

    > Mandella wrote:
    >
    >> Well, you actually can play right now on American servers. All you
    >> need to
    >> do is give Australian adress when creating an account. After launch in
    >> Europe it will be possible to play on European or American servers.
    >

    > Getting the US version of the game is too costly and involved right now,
    > though. I could manage the Australian address requirement, though. Have
    > an ex living there, and we're still on speaking terms. ;) (Been years,
    > but she'd be happy to help.) So, when I get the European version, I
    > could enter an Australian address, and then choose freely between
    > American and European servers? Or do I need an American game version?
    >
    > M.

    Sorry for not finding the following interview in english, here we go
    with the german statement:

    http://de.wow-europe.com/misc/insider/020/presstour.shtml

    Werden sich europäische Spieler mit den US-Servern verbinden können,
    nachdem das Spiel erschienen ist?

    Wir glauben, dass es für europäische Spieler besser ist, wenn sie nur
    auf europäischen Servern spielen können. Außerdem wird unser
    europäisches Team die Spieler viel besser unterstützen können als das
    US-Team. Aus diesem Grund werden sich Spieler von World of Warcraft nur
    auf ihren lokalen Servern einloggen und dort spielen können. Allerdings
    ist uns bewusst, dass manche europäische Spieler trotz unserer
    Empfehlung auf den US-Servern spielen werden wollen. Für diese Spieler
    wird Blizzard nach dem Erscheinen des Spiels in Europa eine spezielle
    Lösung anbieten.

    HTH

    waves
    Uwe
  25. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg,alt.games.diablo2 (More info?)

    don't get to impatient for your private mount. They start off at 80 gold
    each for the lowest level mounts. The highest level mounts cost 1000 gold.
    I've played almost 2 weeks non-stop, killed a lot of monsters, started a
    lucrative career as an enchanter, and earned a princely total of...1 gold,
    23 silver, 93 copper.

    For better or worse, there will obviously be items for sale on Ebay
    eventually. I wonder what the WoW version of the SOJ will be. Probably the
    1 gold piece I imagine.

    Anex.....Explodeazon, . Oh, and 100 copper= 1 silver, 100 silver=1 gold.

    > Simon Nejmann wrote:
    >
    >> http://www.blizzard.com/wow/townhall/mounts.shtml
    >
    > Wow, very cool! Okay, maybe I should look into importing the damn game
    > after all.... ;) Riddable mounts greatly enhance the gaming experience for
    > me (just adds a whole new level of immersion), and it's something that
    > only few games support. I believe it's sort of a UO leftover. It creates
    > the illusion that you're not "playing alone", even when you solo. But
    > maybe that's just me. I just like having pets or minions.
    >
    > M.
  26. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg,alt.games.diablo2 (More info?)

    Uwe Reithuber wrote:

    > Allerdings
    > ist uns bewusst, dass manche europäische Spieler trotz unserer
    > Empfehlung auf den US-Servern spielen werden wollen. Für diese Spieler
    > wird Blizzard nach dem Erscheinen des Spiels in Europa eine spezielle
    > Lösung anbieten.

    Quick translation: "But we realise that some European players would, in
    spite of our recommendation [to play on European servers], still prefer
    to play on US servers. For these players, Blizzard will offer a solution
    after the release of the game in Europe."

    Now, that is good news. I do have a number of very treasured
    American/Canadian friends that I'd love to play with occasionally. So,
    this is really excellent news. :) Thanks, Uwe! Also, my work schedule (I
    work for an American company, so I tend to be around American business
    times) frequently means that my recreation time takes place during the
    American evening, which is exactly when Europeans are tugged in snuggly
    and sleep soundly. I'd be an exceptionally happy camper if they allowed
    me to choose where I play. As a paying customer, that's exactly what I
    expect, too.

    Thanks for the link -- was very insightful! :)

    M.
  27. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg,alt.games.diablo2 (More info?)

    If adding new servers equates to trying, then they are doing pretty well.
    The total server count has grown to almost 40 now and I bet it doubles again
    by the time Europe comes on line.

    Anex.....Explodeazon, I've only experienced one server restart so far, no
    disconnects, and no other grief. I know not everyone else has had that much
    good fortune (guilds have to be recreated after server maintenance
    sometimes) but I give them the benefit of the doubt.

    "chainbreaker" <noone@nowhere.com> wrote in message
    > Michael Vondung wrote:
    >> In a twisted way, I think this actually shows that Blizzard gives a
    >> damn. Instead of a causing their existing customers some grief and
    >> discomfort, they hold back new players until they can provide the
    >> necessaray capacity. That's actually noteworthy, since most companies
    >> would just have sold as many copies as possible, with little
    >> consideration for their existing players.
    >
    > I'd say they want to avoid having to practically double their server
    > capacity overnight again. And I noticed that they extended the 30-day
    > trial period varying amounts for those who registered accounts the first
    > few days.
    >
    > Looks like they're trying, at least.
    >
    > --
    > chainbreaker
    >
    > If you need to email, then chainbreaker (naturally) at comcast dot
    > net--that's "net" not "com"--should do it.

    <responded only to alt.games.diablo2>

    I gave a guy an echo amulet in D2 for free, and had a bit of talk
    afterward regarding WoW. He suggested that if I were to buy the game, I
    should rush my char to level 40+ where gold becomes a more common drop.
    I should then sell the gold on eBay to pay for my subscription. I have
    never checked eBay since my online side business came to a halt, but
    that guy said currently one WoW-Gold sells for more than a couple
    D2-Tyrael's Might on eBay. Of course this would only happen during the
    extreme early stage of WoW. Once those kids find out a way to dupe
    gold, alas, everyone will be riding level 90 turbo-charged super
    dragons.

    Bing

    "u" <u@mail.com> wrote in message news:319i14F37h02eU1@individual.net...
    > don't get to impatient for your private mount. They start off at 80
    > gold each for the lowest level mounts. The highest level mounts cost
    > 1000 gold. I've played almost 2 weeks non-stop, killed a lot of
    > monsters, started a lucrative career as an enchanter, and earned a
    > princely total of...1 gold, 23 silver, 93 copper.
    >
    > For better or worse, there will obviously be items for sale on Ebay
    > eventually. I wonder what the WoW version of the SOJ will be.
    > Probably the 1 gold piece I imagine.
    >
    > Anex.....Explodeazon, . Oh, and 100 copper= 1 silver, 100 silver=1
    > gold.
    >

    > "Michael Vondung" <mvondung@gmail.com> wrote in message
    >> Simon Nejmann wrote:
    >>
    >>> http://www.blizzard.com/wow/townhall/mounts.shtml
    >>
    >> Wow, very cool! Okay, maybe I should look into importing the damn
    >> game after all.... ;) Riddable mounts greatly enhance the gaming
    >> experience for me (just adds a whole new level of immersion), and
    >> it's something that only few games support. I believe it's sort of a
    >> UO leftover. It creates the illusion that you're not "playing alone",
    >> even when you solo. But maybe that's just me. I just like having pets
    >> or minions.
    >>
    >> M.

  29. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg,alt.games.diablo2 (More info?)

    Uwe Reithuber wrote:

    > 1|BIZ1002 |World of Warcraft Collectors |EUR 69.95|EUR 69.95

    A very reasonable price, considering the stuff that's included. I
    ordered from okaysoft.de (they deliver via invoice, and are very
    reliable), but seventy Euro is perfectly fine with me. Just thirty more
    Euro than the regular version without all the fancy stuff. :)

    M.

    > Getting the US version of the game is too costly and involved right
    > now, though. I could manage the Australian address requirement,
    > though. Have an ex living there, and we're still on speaking terms. ;)
    > (Been years, but she'd be happy to help.) So, when I get the European
    > version, I could enter an Australian address, and then choose freely
    > between American and European servers? Or do I need an American game
    > version?

    If you really are dying for it, I can *try* buying it for you from the
    store and mail to you. I don't know how much the package weighs, but if
    it's less than 4 lbs I can use Global Priority Mail
    (http://www.usps.com/global/globalprioritymail.htm) which will cost 9
    bucks for postage and about 4-6 days for delivery. The game box has to
    be either left out or flattened in order to fit into the GPM envelop/box
    though. Email me if you're excited about this.

    Bing
  31. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg,alt.games.diablo2 (More info?)

    In article <9RArd.55959$K7.15703@news-server.bigpond.net.au>, custards1
    @hotmail.com says...

    > it got released in austrilaia but i got told only like 250 coppies in the
    > country and all sold in 1 hour so i missed out till the nexted shipment im
    > really angry about it but i will just have to wait

    Ouch!

    We have a really large electronics retailer in Canada called Futureshop.
    I was told (by one of their salesfolk) that all collector's edition
    copies in the area (cities!) sold out at 10am that day (23rd).
    Coincidentally, 10am was also the time that Futureshop opened.

    .... it took me something like seven hours of transit, waiting and
    calling around to finally secure a copy. I think it was worth it,
    though. :) I was lucky, because I found a number of copies in a Best Buy
    that was so new (<2 weeks!) that nobody seemed to know about it.
    --
    -==[UDIC]==-
    http://www.fictionpress.com/~wtcher

    On Thu, 02 Dec 2004 17:16:32 +0100, Michael Vondung
    <mvondung@gmail.com> wrote:

    >Uwe Reithuber wrote:
    >
    >> Allerdings
    >> ist uns bewusst, dass manche europäische Spieler trotz unserer
    >> Empfehlung auf den US-Servern spielen werden wollen. Für diese Spieler
    >> wird Blizzard nach dem Erscheinen des Spiels in Europa eine spezielle
    >> Lösung anbieten.
    >
    >Quick translation: "But we realise that some European players would, in
    >spite of our recommendation [to play on European servers], still prefer
    >to play on US servers. For these players, Blizzard will offer a solution
    >after the release of the game in Europe."
    >
    >Now, that is good news. I do have a number of very treasured
    >American/Canadian friends that I'd love to play with occasionally. So,
    >this is really excellent news. :) Thanks, Uwe! Also, my work schedule (I
    >work for an American company, so I tend to be around American business
    >times) frequently means that my recreation time takes place during the
    >American evening, which is exactly when Europeans are tugged in snuggly
    >and sleep soundly. I'd be an exceptionally happy camper if they allowed
    >me to choose where I play. As a paying customer, that's exactly what I
    >expect, too.
    >
    >Thanks for the link -- was very insightful! :)
    >
    >M.

    Insightful to me as well. I have to say WoW (pun intended)! Thanks for
    that bit of news. I am really pleased that Blizzard have seen the
    light on this and will now be allowing people to play on any of the
    servers regardless of their geographical location. They hadn't
    originally planned this and I have been posting a few tirades in
    various news groups about their initial plan to keep Europeans apart
    from the North Americans/Aussies/Kiwis and apart from the Asians also.
    Separating the MMORPG community would have been a terrible decision.
    It looks like I will have to order WoW after all.

    BB.
  33. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg,alt.games.diablo2 (More info?)

    In comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg Wtcher <nospambirdy@ultima-dragons.org> wrote:
    > In article <9RArd.55959$K7.15703@news-server.bigpond.net.au>, custards1
    > @hotmail.com says...
    >>
    >> it got released in austrilaia but i got told only like 250 coppies in the
    >> country and all sold in 1 hour so i missed out till the nexted shipment im
    >> really angry about it but i will just have to wait
    >
    > Ouch!
    >
    > We have a really large electronics retailer in Canada called Futureshop.
    > I was told (by one of their salesfolk) that all collector's edition
    > copies in the area (cities!) sold out at 10am that day (23rd).
    > Coincidentally, 10am was also the time that Futureshop opened.

    pretty good for a game that wasn't hyped.
  34. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg,alt.games.diablo2 (More info?)

    > Halo 2 on the other hand
    I would have to say the same for here in aussi the only reason i knew of its
    realease was this news group i went into 1 shop that had no coppies left and
    not even a dispaly stand at all i had to ask to find out about it
  35. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg,alt.games.diablo2 (More info?)

    In comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg custard <custards1@hotmail.com> wrote:

    >> Halo 2 on the other hand
    > I would have to say the same for here in aussi the only reason i knew of its
    > realease was this news group i went into 1 shop that had no coppies left and
    > not even a dispaly stand at all i had to ask to find out about it

    so what you're saying is it wasn't hyped because you didn't know about
    it but when you went in to buy it it was completely sold out even though
    they didn't even have a display stand? ok, gotcha.
  36. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg,alt.games.diablo2 (More info?)

    "i own a yacht" <me@privacy.net> wrote in message
    > In comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg custard <custards1@hotmail.com> wrote:
    > >

    > >> Halo 2 on the other hand
    > > I would have to say the same for here in aussi the only reason i knew of
    its
    > > realease was this news group i went into 1 shop that had no coppies left
    and
    > > not even a dispaly stand at all i had to ask to find out about it
    >
    > so what you're saying is it wasn't hyped because you didn't know about
    > it but when you went in to buy it it was completely sold out even though
    > they didn't even have a display stand? ok, gotcha.
    they only had 6 coppies 250 for the hole of aussi it dont take long to stll
    that amongest 3 mil people
  37. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg,alt.games.diablo2 (More info?)

    In article <OSQrd.56739$K7.6746@news-server.bigpond.net.au>,
    "custard" <custards1@hotmail.com> wrote:

    > > so what you're saying is it wasn't hyped because you didn't know about
    > > it but when you went in to buy it it was completely sold out even though
    > > they didn't even have a display stand? ok, gotcha.

    > they only had 6 coppies 250 for the hole of aussi it dont take long to stll
    > that amongest 3 mil people

    Can someone translate that to yank for me...?

    (the "...6 coppies 250 for..." part -- I think I got the rest.)

    --
    Please take off your shoes before arriving at my in-box.
    I will not, no matter how "good" the deal, patronise any business which sends

    chainbreaker wrote:

    > Calm down, a bit--you remember what happened the last time . . . :-)

    I won't even play for several weeks, so by the time I can, there'll be
    accounts of riding adventures. ;)

    Don't remind me of Sacred, I'm still recovering!

    M.
  39. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg,alt.games.diablo2 (More info?)

    Miss Elaine Eos wrote:

    > Can someone translate that to yank for me...?
    > (the "...6 coppies 250 for..." part -- I think I got the rest.)

    He was saying that Australian vendors (all of them) received only 250
    copies of WoW. Of these 250 copies, his vendor received merely six.

    M.
  40. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg,alt.games.diablo2 (More info?)

    Michael Vondung wrote:
    > chainbreaker wrote:
    >
    >> Calm down, a bit--you remember what happened the last time . . . :-)
    >
    > I won't even play for several weeks, so by the time I can, there'll be
    > accounts of riding adventures. ;)
    >
    > Don't remind me of Sacred, I'm still recovering!
    >
    > M.

    Heh.

    And I canceled my EQ2 account last night.

    It's a great game, more "sophisticated", and may even have more overall
    content, at least more "layers" of content than WoW.

    OTOH WoW is more seamless, little time is wasted with loading screens, zone
    changes, and initially entering the game, and gameplay is *much* more
    conducive to the short sessions I often only have time for. Every time I've
    started the game, it's been less than a minute (probably no more than half a
    minute) until I'm *in* the game. And the only time I've noticed any lag
    stutter at all is very briefly upon entering the game with a newly-created
    character.

    Only after a direct comparison between the two did I realize just exactly
    aggravating EQ2's slow, myriad zone loadings really are. Deciding factor,
    just like you already knew for yourself. :-)

    But I'm not precluding perhaps returning to EQ2, either--hell, I may just
    swap accounts monthly or something, lol.

    It's a real bitch having *two* games you really enjoy after such a drought,
    and not really having the time to play even one. :-|
    --
    chainbreaker

    If you need to email, then chainbreaker (naturally) at comcast dot
    net--that's "net" not "com"--should do it.
  41. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg,alt.games.diablo2 (More info?)

    In comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg Michael Vondung <mvondung@gmail.com> wrote:
    > Miss Elaine Eos wrote:
    >
    >> Can someone translate that to yank for me...?
    >> (the "...6 coppies 250 for..." part -- I think I got the rest.)
    >
    > He was saying that Australian vendors (all of them) received only 250
    > copies of WoW. Of these 250 copies, his vendor received merely six.

    i find it difficult to believe that australia, as a whole, only received
    250 copies. that doesn't make much sense.

    perhaps, but the game isn't set up to where having a flying horsey is the
    be-all, end-all. They just get you around, that's all. Saves you walking
    for 20 minutes.

    Anex.....Explodeazon, it's like adding a bunch of Fastest Run/Walk gear in
    D2, helpful, but not critical.

    "Bingain" <bingain@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > <responded only to alt.games.diablo2>
    >
    > I gave a guy an echo amulet in D2 for free, and had a bit of talk
    > afterward regarding WoW. He suggested that if I were to buy the game, I
    > should rush my char to level 40+ where gold becomes a more common drop. I
    > should then sell the gold on eBay to pay for my subscription. I have
    > never checked eBay since my online side business came to a halt, but that
    > guy said currently one WoW-Gold sells for more than a couple D2-Tyrael's
    > Might on eBay. Of course this would only happen during the extreme early
    > stage of WoW. Once those kids find out a way to dupe gold, alas, everyone
    > will be riding level 90 turbo-charged super dragons.
    >
    > Bing
    >

    > "u" <u@mail.com> wrote in message news:319i14F37h02eU1@individual.net...
    >> don't get to impatient for your private mount. They start off at 80 gold
    >> each for the lowest level mounts. The highest level mounts cost 1000
    >> gold. I've played almost 2 weeks non-stop, killed a lot of monsters,
    >> started a lucrative career as an enchanter, and earned a princely total
    >> of...1 gold, 23 silver, 93 copper.
    >>
    >> For better or worse, there will obviously be items for sale on Ebay
    >> eventually. I wonder what the WoW version of the SOJ will be. Probably
    >> the 1 gold piece I imagine.
    >>
    >> Anex.....Explodeazon, . Oh, and 100 copper= 1 silver, 100 silver=1 gold.
    >>

    >> "Michael Vondung" <mvondung@gmail.com> wrote in message

    >>> Wow, very cool! Okay, maybe I should look into importing the damn game
    >>> after all.... ;) Riddable mounts greatly enhance the gaming experience
    >>> for me (just adds a whole new level of immersion), and it's something
    >>> that only few games support. I believe it's sort of a UO leftover. It
    >>> creates the illusion that you're not "playing alone", even when you
    >>> solo. But maybe that's just me. I just like having pets or minions.
    >>>
    >>> M.

  43. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg,alt.games.diablo2 (More info?)

    chainbreaker wrote:

    > Let me know if, when. I know time zone is a problem, but I'd still
    > like to have a character on whatever server you're on, just in case.
    > :-)

    It seems that WoW is sold out everywhere in North-America. She'll be in
    a larger city tomorrow, and said she'd look. If she finds a box, it
    would still be two weeks before it arrives here. That's better than
    nearly two months (though I'd buy the CE anyway, but I'm obscene like
    that!), but still quite a while. I do have time around Christmas, so,
    it'd be kind of nice. Well, wish me (and her) luck. :)

    M.
  44. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg,alt.games.diablo2 (More info?)

    On Fri, 3 Dec 2004 07:06:04 -0500, "chainbreaker" <noone@nowhere.com>
    wrote:

    >It's a real bitch having *two* games you really enjoy after such a drought,
    >and not really having the time to play even one. :-|

    Yeah, there's just not enough time in the day to play 2 mmorpgs.

    And what's with all the carrots ?

    Michael Vondung wrote:

    > chainbreaker wrote:

    >> And I canceled my EQ2 account last night.

    >> Only after a direct comparison between the two did I realize just
    >> exactly aggravating EQ2's slow, myriad zone loadings really are.
    >> Deciding factor, just like you already knew for yourself. :-)

    > Yes, zoning really kills immersion for me, and is simply disruptive.
    > Like you, I play "when I can and feel like it", both of which are
    > unpredictable and depend on external factors (job, chiefly). When I
    > play, I want to do just that: play. Not wait around, get angry because
    > of low frame rates, or get hindered by artificial limitations that may
    > reduce griefing, but are a bigger annoyance than a griefer could ever
    > be. I also like my current machine and don't want to upgrade before
    > it's necessary. EQ2 would require it, WoW does not.

    ...Same here. If I ever were to try a Massive Multiplayer Online
    Role-Playing Game, that would be World of Warcraft, for exactly the same
    reasons as Michael. I don't want to fall again into the time-sink trap
    that is "zoning" and loading lag.

    On a completely OT but related matter, loading times are really, really
    important in any game. I've just decided to join an Half-Life 2
    speedrunning project; speedrunning was great in Quake and Doom, because
    you were constantly playing. In HL2, it'll be a pain for sure: 50 seconds
    to reload the level after every attempt to beat an 11 seconds run...
  46. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg,alt.games.diablo2 (More info?)

    i own a yacht wrote:
    > In comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg Michael Vondung <mvondung@gmail.com> wrote:
    >>He was saying that Australian vendors (all of them) received only 250
    >>copies of WoW. Of these 250 copies, his vendor received merely six.
    >
    > i find it difficult to believe that australia, as a whole, only received
    > 250 copies. that doesn't make much sense.

    I vaguely recall someone saying that Australia only received 250 copies
    of the _Collector's Edition_. Certainly there was no such huge
    limitation on the supplies of the regular edition. It's currently the #1
    selling game at the online store I bought it from
    (http://www.gameswarehouse.com.au/) and you don't achieve that with only
    250 copies in the whole country.

    Cheers!
    David...
  47. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg,alt.games.diablo2 (More info?)

    I just asked him again, cause they was a problem with my order (was the
    normal version and not the CE.
    He checked on his computer and he still says 14 jan.

    But it takes sooo long, doesn't it :p

    "Michael Vondung" <mvondung@gmail.com> schreef in bericht
    > D.Jaffe wrote:
    >
    > > The strange thing, my vendor told me it will be released on 14 jan :p
    Maybe
    > > he's mistaken again :p (happens a lot)
    >
    > I'd not mind if he was right, you know! ;) That'd still be almost six
    > weeks. Gah. All this time I managed to keep my interest in WoW on a
    > luke-warm level. But now that I spent some time reading about it, I'm
    > plagued by burning impatience. Damnit! :)
    >
    > M.
  48. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg,alt.games.diablo2 (More info?)

    "Michael Vondung" <mvondung@gmail.com> wrote in message
    > Just got a note from my game vendor: The German (and European)
    > version of WoW will hit the shelves on January 27th. Game cards will
    > be offered (31,50 Euro for 60 days), too. There's also a Collector's
    > Edition that includes both the CD and DVD versions (PC and Mac), a
    > cloth map, "behind the scenes" DVD, a picture book, a soundtrack CD,
    > and an ingame pet. Price for the Collector's Edition is TBA, the
    > normal one is priced at 42,90 Euro (but that probably differs from
    > vendor to vendor).
    >
    > M.

    If it is anything like Australia, each vendor will receive a tiny
    number of copies that will be sold out well before they actually reach
    the shelves.
    Definitely consider pre-ordering.

    cheers,
    Stu.

    ---
  49. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg,alt.games.diablo2 (More info?)

    chainbreaker wrote:

    > Let me know if, when. I know time zone is a problem, but I'd still like to
    > have a character on whatever server you're on, just in case. :-)

    Pooey. She checked a number of stores today, but none of them had WoW.
    Sold out. Oh, well. Dang, how annoying is that! So, I'm back to a six to
    eight weeks wait ... and then it's still a matter of whether or not
    Blizzard provides that "unrecommended" way for Europeans to play on U.S.
    servers.

    I could get really worked up over that. We live in 2004, and it's so
    un-cosmopolitan to separate people based on their geographical location.
    It's against everything that the internet stands for, and a real step
    back. Perhaps they did this to lessen the load of the American realms at
    launch (and to ensure that enough copies are sold in Europe), which I
    could somewhat understand ... but they could simply say this. I would be
    silly to have to buy TWO copies of the game and subscribe twice.

    M.

World Of Warcraft Games European Video Games Product