Tcp question for simple network

Eric

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

My Environment:
I have a Netgear wireless hub. I connected my desktop machine's NIC
card directly to one of the wireless hub's ports. My desktop machine
is running Windows 2003 Server.

I then installed a Netgear wireless card into my laptop. My laptop is
also running Windows 2003 Server. The laptop connects with no problem
to the wireless hub.

I want to use the wireless hub strictly for an internal network. I'm
not concerned about Internet access through the hub at this point.

Problem:
The Desktop machine can ping to the laptop and also map a drive to a
shared folder on the laptop.

However, the Laptop machine cannot ping to the desktop machine. When I
try to map to a shared folder on the desktop, it says network not
found. I can see the name of the desktop machine when I browse the
Microsoft network from the laptop.

The laptop can ping the wireless hub. But that's as far as it can see.
All of the devices are on the same IP network. The hub's address is
192.168.0.1. The Desktop IP is static at 192.168.0.101, and th laptop
get's it's DHCP address from the Hub and is 192.168.0.2.

Question:
The desktop can ping the laptop and map a drive to it, so why can't
the laptop ping the desktop machine?

Thanks,
Eric

Sounds like a firewall blocking access to the desktop (maybe)...

"Eric" <epaetz41@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> My Environment:
> I have a Netgear wireless hub. I connected my desktop machine's NIC
> card directly to one of the wireless hub's ports. My desktop machine
> is running Windows 2003 Server.
>
> I then installed a Netgear wireless card into my laptop. My laptop is
> also running Windows 2003 Server. The laptop connects with no problem
> to the wireless hub.
>
> I want to use the wireless hub strictly for an internal network. I'm
> not concerned about Internet access through the hub at this point.
>
> Problem:
> The Desktop machine can ping to the laptop and also map a drive to a
> shared folder on the laptop.
>
> However, the Laptop machine cannot ping to the desktop machine. When I
> try to map to a shared folder on the desktop, it says network not
> found. I can see the name of the desktop machine when I browse the
> Microsoft network from the laptop.
>
> The laptop can ping the wireless hub. But that's as far as it can see.
> All of the devices are on the same IP network. The hub's address is
> 192.168.0.1. The Desktop IP is static at 192.168.0.101, and th laptop
> get's it's DHCP address from the Hub and is 192.168.0.2.
>
> Question:
> The desktop can ping the laptop and map a drive to it, so why can't
> the laptop ping the desktop machine?
>
> Thanks,
> Eric

---

On 17 Jun 2004 08:55:20 -0700, epaetz41@hotmail.com (Eric) wrote:

>Question:
>The desktop can ping the laptop and map a drive to it, so why can't
>the laptop ping the desktop machine?

default firewall on the connection ?

Eric

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

That was it. Sygate.

Thanks.

Phil Thompson <cynical_observer@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:<8en3d0hqoulk4tp5nicifrb5q8bq9ce3o0@4ax.com>...
> On 17 Jun 2004 08:55:20 -0700, epaetz41@hotmail.com (Eric) wrote:
>
> >Question:
> >The desktop can ping the laptop and map a drive to it, so why can't
> >the laptop ping the desktop machine?
>
> default firewall on the connection ?

TRENDING THREADS