Sign in with
Your question

Need suggestions for getting a new video card

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
July 3, 2002 4:42:28 AM

Looking for a new video card but not sure what to really buy. Not intending to spend a lot of money so looking for something that is sufficent for all current video games.
I've thought about the Geforce4 Ti4600 which is currently the best right now but then again our eyes can see so many frames a second right? So wouldn't the rest go to waste?

I'm looking for something from ATI since they are priced failry well.

So thinking of maybe ATI All-In-Wonder Radeon 8500?
Is that the current best ATI card on the market or 8500LE or 8500DV better?

Or should I just wait for the Radeon 9700 or Radeon 10000 in the next few months?

More about : suggestions video card

July 3, 2002 4:59:32 AM

If you can wait definately do that but if not get a Geforce4 4200 instead of the 8500 Radeon. Radeon is still having driver issues and in something like 3 months there going to go to a new chip so there probably going to slack on drivers even more!? Anyway if you must All-in-Wonder is for TV and all that fun stuff with a small performance hit, the LE is just a lower clocked version of the same thing like Nvidia's Geforce3s, and I think the DV just has less memory but it might be crappier in other respects as well.
July 3, 2002 6:43:57 AM

Well I guess I can wait, just that when watching some movies I don't think my video card is fast enough and I get people speaking faster than their mouth is moving.
But I occasionally put my computer to my tv to watch divx movies so I'm thinking ATI has a better tv-out than Nvidia.

Would you have any idea if the Realmagic EM8475 chip will be intergraded in the ATI Radeon 10000?

Thx for the post!
Related resources
July 3, 2002 10:10:58 AM

If you mean watching movies directly from the hard-drive (divX and stuff like that), it might not be the computer causing the "out of sync" issue in the movies. Sometimes it just happens, think it has something to do with the encoding part.

Something on how to fix it:
http://nickyguides.digital-digest.com/audio-synch.htm
July 3, 2002 10:46:04 AM

Dont blame your graphics card for the delay. It's probably due to dropped frames during the encoding of the movie. The movie probably starts fine and as it progresses the delay increases. If the movie is DVD5 and not Divx then probably the person who re-authored the movie forgot to place the studio logo in a separate vob id and the sound starts ahead of the movie. The main point is that it's not your VGA card.

I face the same problem as well. I am building a new computer and I need to decide between 8500DV and a GeForce4 card. At one side the exciting outputs, the tuner, RC and poor driver support from what i hear, and on the other side the high performance and high cost as well.

Then again the new radeon cards are close.
July 3, 2002 2:40:40 PM

Hey those two cards seem alright.....The Ti4600 will pretty much keep up with most future games Ie Doom 3...Prices are coming down, and also the ATI 8500's are selling chepaer now...For a full solution theres no debate to an AIW...Try the 128mb definately. For midrange price try a Triplex Millenium silver 4200...Or a Leadtek/Gainward Ti4400.

AGP 8X is coming out soon, it will be popular but things like R300's will damn right be expensive..RV250's might be alright too. If money is no objection, i say wait and try the R300 after a few reviews. Itl ooks incredible. Otherwise stick to any Gf4 Ti, or AIW 8500
July 3, 2002 4:29:36 PM

Ok, unless your a graphics fanatic, there's no point in getting a Radeon 8500AIW 128MV. You can get the same performance from a Radeon 8500 128MB. And plus, they're about $150USD cheaper. The Ti4600 may be the best card, but if you look at price/performance, get a Ti4200 or a Ti4400. The Ti4200 can usually get close to a Ti4600 performance if overclocked and a Ti4400 can get past Ti4600's performance. If I were you depending on when you need it and your financial abilities, either get a Ti4200 now or wait and get a R300 later. (R300 supposedly will cost $400USD)

:smile: Falling down stairs saves time :smile:
July 3, 2002 7:57:58 PM

Thanks for the tips guys. And thanks Ghostdog for the site!
Okay I'm using an ATI Rage Fury right now and when I play a game like Counter-Strike, it seems to lag quite a bit. I mean I think a P4 1.6A with 512MB DDR266 should already meet the requirements? And same with most of my movies.. I tried playing them on my brothers computer which is also a P4 1.6A with 512MB DDR266 and a ATI AIW Radeon 7500 and there wasn't one single problem I noticed. So that's why I'm thinking it's my video card or my computer is just messed up and I can't figure out what's wrong with it.

Well are you sure its approx. cost will be at $400USD? I mean I don't think I'd ever pay that much for a GPU card. Maybe $250 or $300USD would be more reasonable to me. But if I ever get the R300 I'd probably want to wait till they bring out the R300's using the 0.13 micron technology.

Anyways how does the Geforce MX generation and TI generation differ?
July 3, 2002 8:03:05 PM

Why not borrow your brother's vid card and see if things improve.

<b><font color=blue>Via chipsets, SiS chipsets -- all the same...all made in TAIWAN!
July 3, 2002 8:04:54 PM

Haha great idea. I'll try that as soon as he gets home from work!
July 3, 2002 8:36:14 PM

Well, I read that the R300 is supposed to be an all in one multimedia package (not like AIWs though), so you'll have to pay big bucks for it.

The difference is the Ti's have DX8.x support and the MX don't. So basically the MXs are upgraded GF2, while the Ti's are upgraded GF3s.

July 4, 2002 6:06:17 AM

Ah I see. Nice.

Well although a video card has support for what ever DX8.x or DX9.x how does it differ from downloading the drivers and using it on an older video card?

And just for note, yes it's my video card that doesn't sync properly when watching movie. Radeon 7500 works perfectly fine and movies work fine on my computer. Guess my ATI card too old? or busted..
July 4, 2002 7:12:39 AM

Where can I find some info on the R300?
July 4, 2002 11:56:57 AM

Quote:
Well although a video card has support for what ever DX8.x or DX9.x how does it differ from downloading the drivers and using it on an older video card?

Well, you see you can always download drivers and stuff, but if your card doesn't have hardware support, like the integration of pixel shaders, you'll never be able to use it. So not matter what the drivers give you, you'll not be able to use it without the hardware.

July 4, 2002 7:36:38 PM

Well I don't think it's hard facts or from press releases but I see little bits of information on <A HREF="http:// www.vr-zone.com " target="_new">http:// www.vr-zone.com </A>

So it's really a rumor that might and might not be true.

Thanks Chuck for the info. Well how long you think it would take before DX9.x comes out? If soon then I might as well wait for the R300 other than a Geforce4 Ti4400 which only has DX8 support.
July 4, 2002 7:36:45 PM

Well I don't think it's hard facts or from press releases but I see little bits of information on <A HREF="http://www.vr-zone.com " target="_new">http://www.vr-zone.com </A>

So it's really a rumor that might and might not be true.

Thanks Chuck for the info. Well how long you think it would take before DX9.x comes out? If soon then I might as well wait for the R300 other than a Geforce4 Ti4400 which only has DX8 support.
July 4, 2002 8:00:05 PM

Well DX9 is supposed to be out by this November I believe, but that will cause some problems since R300 will be out September... I'm not really sure how they're gonna pull that one off.

July 4, 2002 8:52:31 PM

Has the R300s release been confirmed for september?
July 4, 2002 9:08:51 PM

Vince if you think 400 dollars is bad, here in Finland the top notch GF4 cards are up to 540 dollars.
July 4, 2002 9:10:31 PM

Pretty much.

Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
July 4, 2002 10:49:40 PM

?!?!?

<i> :smile: I like Interactive THG!</i>
July 4, 2002 11:05:18 PM

Let me correct all radeons from the original now use a unified driver architecture so the drivers will not lag for the r8500 when the r300 is released. Driver problems can u be more specific I mean I could say nvidia has driver problems and people would jump to say I am making things up.
July 4, 2002 11:23:43 PM

Wow. That's quite a bit. You see I live in Canada so $400US would be approx. $612CDN. and that to me seens a little overpriced. If I lived in the US I would think of it as average priced.
July 4, 2002 11:39:00 PM

Yeah, that may be ture, but it may not have the optimizations that it could have with more tweaking. I think ATi's main problems before was with not enough optimizations for games/apps compared to the nVidia offering. I trust ATi drivers a lot more now, but that doesn't mean they can't crap out.

July 5, 2002 6:07:14 AM

That´s exactly why I decided upon the Radeon 8500. Doesn´t beat the 4600 but it´s quite an upgrade from a TNT2m64. Think I´ll still wait for the r300 and the other next-gen -cards.

I recently read a article about how ATI and nVidia are taking separate ways in the way they make their cards, and that it might lead to optimizations for either nVidia or ATI. What about the future releases? I´ve gotten the impression that nVidia is slightly more popular.
Will game-designers optimize their games according to sales or who has the better technology?
July 5, 2002 12:31:38 PM

Or maybe to the company that pays up more.

July 5, 2002 9:18:51 PM

I see. I think most of the drivers are just poorly designed and holding down the real potential of ATI cards. But since ATI cards are still using 0.18 micron technolgy there is still a speed hold back causing NVIDIA to have the advantage.

Well I'm deciding to get a Geforce4 Ti4200 card as I will wait for the R300 and hoping the prices will come down eventually.

Anyways any suggestions which company I should get a Geforce4 Ti4200 from? I'm planning to overclock this card but I don't want a loud fan with it. So I'm thinking maybe Abit?
How does Gainward Geforce4 cards work? They have like different names and I can't tell which is which...
And should I get 128MB or 64MB? I think I remember that the 64MB card had a faster memory clock? So would there be any advantage with 128MB card?
Thanks
July 6, 2002 12:15:02 AM

And another question is I am wondering how much of a difference you would see between a Ti and a MX card.
Are all new games using Direct X? I can't quite figure it out as the price of MX seem so much cheaper than the TI cards.
a b U Graphics card
July 6, 2002 3:21:05 AM

The 8500LE is a slower version of the 8500 Retail. The 8500 Retail and the 8500DV get about the same performance, but the DV is an All In Wonder version.

<font color=blue>At least half of all problems are caused by an insufficient power supply!</font color=blue>
July 6, 2002 1:47:10 PM

The 8500DV is quite a bit slower actually. It's clocked lower.

a b U Graphics card
July 6, 2002 6:09:01 PM

Hmm, like at 250/250?

<font color=blue>At least half of all problems are caused by an insufficient power supply!</font color=blue>
July 6, 2002 6:20:18 PM

230/190, something like that.

:wink: <b><i>"A penny saved is a penny earned!"</i></b> :wink:
a b U Graphics card
July 6, 2002 10:29:40 PM

Really? That low? Got a link?

!