D-Link DI-624 problem (how original, right?)

Last response: in Wireless Networking
a b F Wireless
June 17, 2004 1:22:38 PM

Hi everyone,

So, I've bought myself a D-Link DI-624 (Rev C) and am running the
latest firmware for it. I have everything setup, both wireless and
wired connections, and when it's working, it all works fine. I'm using
DHCP to hand out IP addresses to both the wired and wireless
connections.

However, after some period of inactivity from my wired Windows XP
machine, I lose internet connectivity. I'm still on the network, since
I can connect to my router via http just fine. But I can't connect out
to the internet. I haven't tried firing up my wireless laptop when the
problem is occuring to see if all internet access is down, or if it's
just that connection. I'm sure that would be the next best thing to
try. In the meantime, I figured I'd see if anyone else has seen this
problem.

So, has anyone come across this yet, and if so, was there a fix? I've
tried googling and other searches, and while there appear to be a lot
of problems with the DI-624, none of the symptoms really matched what
I am describing. (For that matter, there seem to be problems with all
of the major wireless / broadband routers; just a matter of picking
the one you want to deal with I guess.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Don
Anonymous
a b F Wireless
June 17, 2004 7:32:40 PM

A friend just bought a 624 and I set it up for him. It took about 4 minutes
a couple of weeks ago, and not a missed beat since.
We didn't update the firmware. The old one worked and "if it ain't broke,
don't fix it" really applies to routers.
You say "still on the network" but you're only connecting as far as the
router. Does your LAN work OK or is it just the Internet that is down?
If the LAN works OK, Internet will either be down or up for both machines at
the same time.
Check your router settings - keep connection alive or whatever should be
checked off.

"Don Whitlow" <dwhitlow1@wi.rr.com> wrote in message
> Hi everyone,
>
> So, I've bought myself a D-Link DI-624 (Rev C) and am running the
> latest firmware for it. I have everything setup, both wireless and
> wired connections, and when it's working, it all works fine. I'm using
> DHCP to hand out IP addresses to both the wired and wireless
> connections.
>
> However, after some period of inactivity from my wired Windows XP
> machine, I lose internet connectivity. I'm still on the network, since
> I can connect to my router via http just fine. But I can't connect out
> to the internet. I haven't tried firing up my wireless laptop when the
> problem is occuring to see if all internet access is down, or if it's
> just that connection. I'm sure that would be the next best thing to
> try. In the meantime, I figured I'd see if anyone else has seen this
> problem.
>
> So, has anyone come across this yet, and if so, was there a fix? I've
> tried googling and other searches, and while there appear to be a lot
> of problems with the DI-624, none of the symptoms really matched what
> I am describing. (For that matter, there seem to be problems with all
> of the major wireless / broadband routers; just a matter of picking
> the one you want to deal with I guess.
>
> Thanks in advance for any help.
>
> Don
Anonymous
a b F Wireless
June 20, 2004 11:20:13 PM

I did finally get a chance to test out my laptop (Apple iBook with
Airport Extreme) while the PC wasn't working. The iBook was able to
get out to the internet while the PC was unable to. This must mean the
problem is isolated to some problem between the XP PC and the router.
Lan connections between the PC and iBook work fine also. Weird.

Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks,
Don

"Alan White" <alanwhite@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:<mlmAc.45984$7H1.1530655@news20.bellglobal.com>...
> A friend just bought a 624 and I set it up for him. It took about 4 minutes
> a couple of weeks ago, and not a missed beat since.
> We didn't update the firmware. The old one worked and "if it ain't broke,
> don't fix it" really applies to routers.
> You say "still on the network" but you're only connecting as far as the
> router. Does your LAN work OK or is it just the Internet that is down?
> If the LAN works OK, Internet will either be down or up for both machines at
> the same time.
> Check your router settings - keep connection alive or whatever should be
> checked off.
>

> "Don Whitlow" <dwhitlow1@wi.rr.com> wrote in message
> > Hi everyone,
> >
> > So, I've bought myself a D-Link DI-624 (Rev C) and am running the
> > latest firmware for it. I have everything setup, both wireless and
> > wired connections, and when it's working, it all works fine. I'm using
> > DHCP to hand out IP addresses to both the wired and wireless
> > connections.
> >
> > However, after some period of inactivity from my wired Windows XP
> > machine, I lose internet connectivity. I'm still on the network, since
> > I can connect to my router via http just fine. But I can't connect out
> > to the internet. I haven't tried firing up my wireless laptop when the
> > problem is occuring to see if all internet access is down, or if it's
> > just that connection. I'm sure that would be the next best thing to
> > try. In the meantime, I figured I'd see if anyone else has seen this
> > problem.
> >
> > So, has anyone come across this yet, and if so, was there a fix? I've
> > tried googling and other searches, and while there appear to be a lot
> > of problems with the DI-624, none of the symptoms really matched what
> > I am describing. (For that matter, there seem to be problems with all
> > of the major wireless / broadband routers; just a matter of picking
> > the one you want to deal with I guess.
> >
> > Thanks in advance for any help.
> >
> > Don
a b F Wireless
June 21, 2004 4:29:52 AM

Hi Don

> Anyone have any ideas?

I've set up several rev. C 624's, all running latest 2.42
firmware.

I've had ongoing issues with individual machines on a
network losing the ability to discern the internet, while
other machines still were fine, and all wireless connections
were still functional.

The workaround that has worked for me: turning off all
turbo functions.

Yeah, that's no fun, but it works, and my clients are
happy to not have to burp the router/DSL modem.

-- stan
Anonymous
a b F Wireless
June 22, 2004 3:03:10 PM

Don,

I have this problem with the DI624 all the time. Can't get anywhere with
tech support. They don't comprehend the problem. Must be the phone lines
between New Jersey and India :-)

But I do have an easy fix, albeit a bit annoying:

After you have the client software running, and something tells me you are
using the DWL-G520 PCI card, double click the "D" icon on your task bar and
bring up the Dlink screen.
Go to Configuration.
Go to IEEE802.1X. Chances are the window is blank. Choose DISABLE. As soon
as you do this you will be online.

You will also shortly probably find that one morning when you boot up you're
offline completely. This is shown as your network not being available in the
Info window even though it does show up in the survey window. If this
happens unplug your modem. Then unplug your router. Wait 30 seconds. Plug
the modem back in. Plug the router back in. You should be online.

Good luck.

Hank

> I did finally get a chance to test out my laptop (Apple iBook with
> Airport Extreme) while the PC wasn't working. The iBook was able to
> get out to the internet while the PC was unable to. This must mean the
> problem is isolated to some problem between the XP PC and the router.
> Lan connections between the PC and iBook work fine also. Weird.
>
> Anyone have any ideas?
>
> Thanks,
> Don
>

> "Alan White" <alanwhite@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > A friend just bought a 624 and I set it up for him. It took about 4
minutes
> > a couple of weeks ago, and not a missed beat since.
> > We didn't update the firmware. The old one worked and "if it ain't
broke,
> > don't fix it" really applies to routers.
> > You say "still on the network" but you're only connecting as far as the
> > router. Does your LAN work OK or is it just the Internet that is down?
> > If the LAN works OK, Internet will either be down or up for both
machines at
> > the same time.
> > Check your router settings - keep connection alive or whatever should be
> > checked off.
> >

> > "Don Whitlow" <dwhitlow1@wi.rr.com> wrote in message
> > > Hi everyone,
> > >
> > > So, I've bought myself a D-Link DI-624 (Rev C) and am running the
> > > latest firmware for it. I have everything setup, both wireless and
> > > wired connections, and when it's working, it all works fine. I'm using
> > > DHCP to hand out IP addresses to both the wired and wireless
> > > connections.
> > >
> > > However, after some period of inactivity from my wired Windows XP
> > > machine, I lose internet connectivity. I'm still on the network, since
> > > I can connect to my router via http just fine. But I can't connect out
> > > to the internet. I haven't tried firing up my wireless laptop when the
> > > problem is occuring to see if all internet access is down, or if it's
> > > just that connection. I'm sure that would be the next best thing to
> > > try. In the meantime, I figured I'd see if anyone else has seen this
> > > problem.
> > >
> > > So, has anyone come across this yet, and if so, was there a fix? I've
> > > tried googling and other searches, and while there appear to be a lot
> > > of problems with the DI-624, none of the symptoms really matched what
> > > I am describing. (For that matter, there seem to be problems with all
> > > of the major wireless / broadband routers; just a matter of picking
> > > the one you want to deal with I guess.
> > >
> > > Thanks in advance for any help.
> > >
> > > Don
Anonymous
a b F Wireless
June 22, 2004 3:06:24 PM

Don,

After you choose DISABLE in the IEEE802.1X configuration make sure you hit
the APPLY button. Then you're online.

Hank

news:o lUBc.9994$w07.1402@newsread2.news.pas.earthlink.net...

!