Problems with G4 Ti4200 (MSI)

f0rEiGnEr

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2002
So, here is the situation: i've bought today a fresh new MSI GeForce 4 64MB DDR Ti42000, to make a set along with this (relevant) hardware:

- AMD Thunderbird 1.4
- Asus A7v133 (KT133A)
- 384 SDR RAM
- Nokia 447 17" Pro

I've installed everything correctly, as it was supposed to , and the performance was not closer to what a GeForce would do. Initially i tested only with Unreal Tournament, and it was odd, because i had lost of frames (150-200) but suddenly in the middle of the action it was dropping to 50/60, which is very very low for this video card. Imediatly after i've tried a large set of drivers, from 29.80 to 29.42 and not forgeting the originals that came with the card, 27.20, all unsucessful. According to friend's opinion, which have GeForce 3, they don't even go below 90fps, and are using settings more heavy to the GPU and CPU than mine.

I suppose and hope, there is a know bug about compatibility with KT133A and GeForce 4?

Thankss in advance. Even the smallest post may help! Please, its pissing me off

Best Regards,

Mário Lopes

10GHZ

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2002
i never knew that Nokia makes pc monitors 2? but anyhow

try upgrade your video card bios.
and play around with the driver setting in detonator, ie disable vertical sync...etc

it's normal for fps count to jump all over the place by a margin about 50 frames, but from 150-200 to 50, that's a bit over the top, as i've said before, play around with the driver setting and see what happens. the other possibility is that you maybe using older directx version, upgrade to the newest 8.1a and see if it helps.

rubikian

Distinguished
May 20, 2002
Is your card running 4X agp? Enable it through BIOS if possible and set your AGP apature size to 128MB. Then from your settings, did you enable the anti-aliasing? Try disable that as well. The next thing is whether you have any background program running that causes the frame rate to drop so badly.

f0rEiGnEr

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2002
Well, the card is running at top 4x speed, and FSAA is disabled as well. I've formatted yesterday the harddrive, and installed a fresh new copy of Windows XP. So, there isn't any program running on the background.

Strange, with settings lower than my friend with a G3, i get less frames than him on certain maps, and even the breaks, which he, actually, doesn't have!

Any more help will be tremendously appreciated!

Best Regards

Mário Lopes

chuck232

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2002
What kind of comp does your friend have? If he has a much better CPU/RAM/and such, it could still outperform your rig. Or maybe your friend is lying.. Have you actually seen his benchmarks for yourself?

:smile: Falling down stairs saves time :smile:

MetalDragon

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2002
Please ensure if you have installed (the newest) the VIA 4in1 Drivers ,they are absolutely important for keeping your system running nicely.
Greets,
Metal

f0rEiGnEr

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2002
I've just installed VIA latest AGP driver, which is the relevant part of the 4-in-1 and it seems that the performance is a little better.

I've noticed that my ti4200 is sharing IRQ 9 along with NIC, Sound device, IDE controller, SCSI controller. I would like to isolate the graphics card to a private IRQ. How can i manage to do this under Windows XP?

Best Regards

phsstpok

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
In BIOS setup there is an option "PnP OS y/n?" If you choose "no" you will be able to manually change IRQs and other resource options from within Windows. (Well, it works with Win 9X/ME/2K). Don't put a PCI card in the slot adjacent to the video card as this slot always shares an interupt with the video card (with Via chipsets, at least).

<b>I have so many cookies I now have a FAT problem!</b>

phsstpok

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
<A HREF="http://www.guru3d.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&postid=226286#post226286
" target="_new">clickable</A>

C :cool: :cool: L

<b>I have so many cookies I now have a FAT problem!</b>