Sign in with
Your question

IE nasties/viruses/trojans/etc

Last response: in Windows 2000/NT
January 4, 2004 5:44:23 PM

I have had to re-install w2k twice during the last two weeks because of some web based nasty that changes my homepage to something else (usu. a dumb search hub thing) and cripples windows explorer.

I can kill and delete the .exe (usu named 'pluhhhtg.exe' or some other keymash name), but I can't look for any more files because it takes the search function out too (and lots of other explorer/IE related stuff).

I have a firewall which alerts me to any incoming and outgoing udp/echo/etc. requests, but this thing somehow managed to get round it.

Does anyone know any fixes for it?

"Some mice have two buttons. Macintosh has one. So it's extremely difficult to push the wrong button." - Apple ad. circa 1984.
January 4, 2004 8:55:57 PM

get a start up monitor thingy (there are few of them), it will tell you if anything wants to run at the start up. in yer case usually it is a .dll runs at start and creates an exe file so each time it is different.

by the way, what "fire wall" are you having. ZoneAlarm does a very good (if not the best) job at keeping "new" programs out of reach to the internet.

..this is very useful and helpful place for information...
January 4, 2004 9:06:09 PM

I use Kerio's Personal Firewall; I used to run Zone Alarm all the time, but the vector thing started eating up all of my memory (they may have fixed it [and other problems] though)

"Some mice have two buttons. Macintosh has one. So it's extremely difficult to push the wrong button." - Apple ad. circa 1984.
January 4, 2004 10:11:24 PM

well, I think it is better to have some valuable prargamme to eat the mem up, than some "gimmy yer PC" proggy to eat your explorer.exe

..this is very useful and helpful place for information...
!