I'm running two of my recent rebuilds through HC normal and both had
reached the "kill good old uncle D" point in Act 4. Spending a bit of
time in the Pandemonium Fortress, I noticed something which has probably
been happening forever, but I've never registered it before. The roof of
the fortress keeps changing colour, what I would describe as colour
cycling. Is this just a graphical glitch or can anyone confirm that it
happens in their own game?

Anyways, my level 27 pally went in and did the deed, Diablo dropped a
green and two uniques plus some blue fluff. I had no room to get the two
uniques so popped into town to empty my pack. Two hours of uniterrupted
gameplay and bnet chooses this particular time to crash big time. Game
and uniques lost, whatever they were. Sigh.

That was US West BTW. East was still ok when I checked.

On that special day, Coolwright, (thepallyis@it.again) said...

> The roof of
> the fortress keeps changing colour, what I would describe as colour
> cycling.

I know that effect very well. On an ATI Radeon

Gabriele Neukam

Gabriele.Spamfighter.Neukam@t-online.de

just so, at no cost.

On Sun, 5 Dec 2004 18:32:25 +0100, Gabriele Neukam
<Gabriele.Spamfighter.Neukam@t-online.de> wrote:

>On that special day, Coolwright, (thepallyis@it.again) said...
>
>> The roof of
>> the fortress keeps changing colour, what I would describe as colour
>> cycling.
>
>I know that effect very well. On an ATI Radeon
>

>Gabriele Neukam
>
>Gabriele.Spamfighter.Neukam@t-online.de

Saw it on my GeForce as well.
That roofline vanishes so quickly.
I never paid it any attention before Coolwright mentioned it.

Gabriele Neukam wrote:
> On that special day, Coolwright, (thepallyis@it.again) said...
>

>>The roof of
>>the fortress keeps changing colour, what I would describe as colour
>>cycling.
>

> I know that effect very well. On an ATI Radeon
>

> Gabriele Neukam
>
> Gabriele.Spamfighter.Neukam@t-online.de

Yes it is an ATI Radeon as it happens :) Reminds me of something in an
old Amiga game.

On a totally unrelated note, I had a lot of fun killing Duriel with my
lvl 22 bowazon last night. Her merc died within seconds and she then
played follow the leader around in circles with Duriel for some time.
Got tired of that game so stopped and went toe to toe with Duriel. That
was weird, using a ranged character but she did the job with no trips
back to town for potion refills.

There must be a better strategy for low level bowazons and Duriel, I'd
sure like to hear them :)

Coolwright wrote:

> There must be a better strategy for low level bowazons and Duriel, I'd
> sure like to hear them :)

Using a melee weapon is the strategy. :p Shield and weapon, or a spear,
and plenty of potions with a portal right next to you, for a quick
escape. Or you can just party with someone, though that's one thing I'd
not do in HC (not at that level).

M.

On that special day, Coolwright, (thepallyis@it.again) said...

> There must be a better strategy for low level bowazons and Duriel, I'd
> sure like to hear them :)

Maybe the decoy - if it lasts long enough, that is. At that level, it is
still too weak, I am afraid. Yet in nightmare it is different, when my
merc went down, I kept Duriel in place with the decoy and riddled him
with arrows, until he croaked. The day before yesterday, in a solo game.
He even dropped something magic and rare, but both weren't worthwhile.

I must admit my ama is twinked. She is running around in gear that
allows for casting lvl 7 decoys, because of a +2 passive skills pair of
gloves, and another +2 skills from a Cliffkiller, and is using a gloomed
dusk shroud made it easier to survive the charges.

On that special day, noneyabusiness, (me@you.com) said...

> >> The roof of
> >> the fortress keeps changing colour, what I would describe as colour
> >> cycling.
> >
> >I know that effect very well. On an ATI Radeon

> Saw it on my GeForce as well.
> That roofline vanishes so quickly.
> I never paid it any attention before Coolwright mentioned it.

It is hard to spot the place from where it can be watched, but close to
the second range of stairs (above them) there is one, where you can
study the changes for quite some time.

Gabriele Neukam

Gabriele.Spamfighter.Neukam@t-online.de

just so, at no cost.

On Mon, 6 Dec 2004 20:16:17 +0100, Gabriele Neukam
<Gabriele.Spamfighter.Neukam@t-online.de> wrote:

>On that special day, noneyabusiness, (me@you.com) said...

>> >I know that effect very well. On an ATI Radeon
>
>> Saw it on my GeForce as well.
>> That roofline vanishes so quickly.
>> I never paid it any attention before Coolwright mentioned it.
>
>It is hard to spot the place from where it can be watched, but close to
>the second range of stairs (above them) there is one, where you can
>study the changes for quite some time.
>

>Gabriele Neukam
>
>Gabriele.Spamfighter.Neukam@t-online.de

I just stand next to the pillars that support the roof
This color change referred to is very slow on my machine.
I mostly have to move from spot to spot to see the change.
Is this what the OP was seeing, or was it a fast color change?

On that special day, noneyabusiness, (me@you.com) said...

> This color change referred to is very slow on my machine.

For an unknown reason, the brown color takes extremely long to turn into
something else. Or was it supposed to be golden, and failed miserably?

noneyabusiness wrote:
> On Mon, 6 Dec 2004 20:16:17 +0100, Gabriele Neukam
> <Gabriele.Spamfighter.Neukam@t-online.de> wrote:
>

>>On that special day, noneyabusiness, (me@you.com) said...

>>>Saw it on my GeForce as well.
>>>That roofline vanishes so quickly.
>>>I never paid it any attention before Coolwright mentioned it.
>>
>>It is hard to spot the place from where it can be watched, but close to
>>the second range of stairs (above them) there is one, where you can
>>study the changes for quite some time.
>>

>>Gabriele Neukam
>>
>>Gabriele.Spamfighter.Neukam@t-online.de
>

> I just stand next to the pillars that support the roof
> This color change referred to is very slow on my machine.
> I mostly have to move from spot to spot to see the change.
> Is this what the OP was seeing, or was it a fast color change?

Since spotting this colour change thing, I have noticed that sometimes
it is quite gradual and other times, like this evening, it cycles quite
quickly and smoothly. I blame it on the government :)

Michael Vondung wrote:
> Coolwright wrote:
>
>> There must be a better strategy for low level bowazons and Duriel, I'd
>> sure like to hear them :)
>

> Using a melee weapon is the strategy. :p Shield and weapon, or a spear,
> and plenty of potions with a portal right next to you, for a quick
> escape. Or you can just party with someone, though that's one thing I'd
> not do in HC (not at that level).
>
> M.

Well she did kill Duriel but now you mention it perhaps I should be
looking for some decent melee items to wield on switch for such grand
occasions :)

As you point out, partying at my lowly level would only make the job
harder. I have just decked her out in the Iratha's full set which has
given her a new lease on life plus making her look very green indeed.