Problems with GeForce4...

dstillson

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2002
Hey. I just bought my Verto GeForce4 Ti 4400 yesterday, and after I put it in, as any sane person would, I was eager to test it out, so I put in my copy of Jedi Knight 2 only to find out that my CD ROM drive didn't detect the CD. I stayed up until about 1 in the morning (6 hours of trying to get this to work!) trying to see if it was the IDE cables or power supply or anything like that... this morning I just put my old video card back in (GeForce 1) and the CD ROM works properly. The CD ROM drive is fairly old, but works quite well and I've never had any major problems with it before, but this is clearly an incompatibility with the GeForce4 card. Does anyone have any ideas as to how to fix this? I'm considering bringing the card back to see if this is just a defective card. By the way, my CD ROM drive is a 34x. I don't know if that makes a difference. Please help! Thanks!

jiffy

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2001
Does your CD ROM detect any CDs? Would you by chance be using WinXP, because I seen a lot of weird things with WinXP in the short time I have been using, and it's been with the computer with the Gf4 trying to do a dual boot.

I lost my CD ROM right after installing sound, it rebooted and I also lost a plug and play devise. I think updating WinXP, or installing the 4-1 again, fix that problem. But, I had so many problems and never did get it straighten out, so don't listen to me.

Hey Baby, want to play with my computer?

dstillson

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2002
The CD ROM does not detect any CDs (audio nor data) while the GF4 is in there. Yes, I am using XP. And yes, I have a dual boot with 98 as the other OS (which, since I just bought my new computer, has completely gone to hell and I'm considering losing the dual boot since 98 is unusable now). I just tried putting the GF4 in another computer and the CD ROM seems to detect the CD. I'm starting to think it's a problem with my motherboard, which is a work of art as far as I'm concerned... but it could be an incompatibility. It's a brand new 478-pin beautiful purple thing since we all know color is the most important factor in buying a new motherboard. But yeah... it's nice.

jiffy

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2001
I been trying to do a dual boot for a month, using the Gf4, and have no luck at All. I have a dual boot on my other computer that has a Gf2 Ultra, that was no problem at all.

I'd say your chances are better not trying to do a dual boot, and that you might still have problems, simple just using a Gf4 and WinXP. But, I can't be certain of that, because I haven't put that much time into just WinXP and the GF4. I like to game, so if WinXP doesn't want to play nice, then only Win98 will stay on.

I'm not a Tech or a very patience person, I'm not saying it can't be done, just that I haven't had any luck. I just hope my input might be able to save you from some greve.

Hey Baby, want to play with my computer?

Scotty35

Distinguished
Jul 2, 2002
Try going into "my computer/properties/hardware/device manager/+ sign cd-dvd drives and see if any conflicts have occured, just uninstall and re-install and it should pick it up after a restart. It happend to me when I installed my new Ti4400.

<A HREF="http://www.koalanet.com/australian-slang.html" target="_new">Aussie slang</A>

dstillson

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2002
Well... I figured out the problem. What the problem was was that I wasn't running a DVD-Rom drive, just a CD Rom. I don't know why that is... I'm guessing it has something to do with the TV-Out and DVD capabilities. They have no warnings about this or anything... interesting conflict, eh? Thanks for all your help though. It's much appreciated.