dell dem 3000

hey does anyone know how well the dell dem 3000 works cause i'm
thinking of getting one.

i don't really do any gaming, but i do watch a lot of videos and stuff
on my old computer. and i'll be using it at home for basic school work
and entertainment. so if i want to be entertained without getting
pissed at my machine, i shouldn't get it then?

Right. For just a bit more money you can get the 4700. While it's not
specifically a gaming or multimedia machine, it will handle what you
indicate you want to do with it. Always go for at least 512 MB of RAM and
at least a 64 MB video card.

"Highest Point" <ingagreen@gmail.com> wrote in message
> i don't really do any gaming, but i do watch a lot of videos and stuff
> on my old computer. and i'll be using it at home for basic school work
> and entertainment. so if i want to be entertained without getting
> pissed at my machine, i shouldn't get it then?

As an office machine, it's fine. If you're looking for any level of
gaming at all, skip the 3000 - it has no fast video slot and the onboard
video is very weak.

Highest Point wrote:
> hey does anyone know how well the dell dem 3000 works cause i'm
> thinking of getting one.

If your old computer is sufficient for watching videos, surely a Dimension 3000
would be OK, too.

Most any Socket 478 or later computer is quite capable of playing movies, either
downloaded or from a DVD drive, at an acceptable frame rate with little or no
choppiness of motion. Video games stress out the processor and graphics far
more than a movie or similar entertainment.

Better to steer away the temptation of a computer capable of gaming. A gaming
addiction can take away all your spare time and erode the time needed to survive
in life (job or school), and, in the case of EverQuest, it can eat the dollars
in your billfold, too. This month's Wired Magazine has a blurb about the
EverQuest economy, wherein people pay one another for virtual weapons and other
virtual artifacts used in the game. I'm not saying that games are inherently
bad. Games played without any moderation can have a serious effect on the
quality of one's life... Ben Myers

On 26 Jul 2005 07:07:50 -0700, "Highest Point" <ingagreen@gmail.com> wrote:

>i don't really do any gaming, but i do watch a lot of videos and stuff
>on my old computer. and i'll be using it at home for basic school work
>and entertainment. so if i want to be entertained without getting
>pissed at my machine, i shouldn't get it then?

I wouldn't agree. The integrated video on the 2400 and 3000 have particular
weaknesses in Video. Some software won't even support them.

I'd suggest a 4700, 5100 or even a refurbished 4600 first if video is an
objective.

Tom
> If your old computer is sufficient for watching videos, surely a Dimension
> 3000
> would be OK, too.
>
> Most any Socket 478 or later computer is quite capable of playing movies,
> either
> downloaded or from a DVD drive, at an acceptable frame rate with little or
> no
> choppiness of motion. Video games stress out the processor and graphics
> far
> more than a movie or similar entertainment.
>
> Better to steer away the temptation of a computer capable of gaming. A
> gaming
> addiction can take away all your spare time and erode the time needed to
> survive
> in life (job or school), and, in the case of EverQuest, it can eat the
> dollars
> in your billfold, too. This month's Wired Magazine has a blurb about the
> EverQuest economy, wherein people pay one another for virtual weapons and
> other
> virtual artifacts used in the game. I'm not saying that games are
> inherently
> bad. Games played without any moderation can have a serious effect on the
> quality of one's life... Ben Myers
>
> On 26 Jul 2005 07:07:50 -0700, "Highest Point" <ingagreen@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>>i don't really do any gaming, but i do watch a lot of videos and stuff
>>on my old computer. and i'll be using it at home for basic school work
>>and entertainment. so if i want to be entertained without getting
>>pissed at my machine, i shouldn't get it then?

let me add this to the other good comments that have been made...
if you purchase the dimension 4700 with integrated video it works out to be
only $40 more than the 3000 in the same configuration. but going with the
4700 means you get a video expansion slot that the 3000 does not have. if
you have doubt, as it appears you do, then this is the way to go. i have
found the integrated video in both machines to be perfectly good for movie
playback and for business and even cad applications. you can play games but
the hot games drag - in no way should one expect a good gamming experiance
from the integrated video. check out the 'outrageous deals' on the dell
small business page (dell.com, small business, outrageous deals, desktops).
there you can configure:
$543 ($668 - $125 rebate) dimension 3000, p4 3ghz/800, 17" lcd, integrated
speaker, xp home, 512mb, 80gb, optical mouse, cd, 2 year
$583 ($718 - $135 rebate) dimension 4700, p4 2.8ghz/800, 17" lcd, speaker
bar, xp home, 512mb, 40g, optical mouse, cd, 2 year
in both cases you probably want to upgrade the cd drive to a dvd recorder
for $99 or buy one at a local store for $50 and install it yourself. no
floppy, no modem. free shipping but $19 'handeling fee.' sales tax will be
collected (as is the case with all 'educational' sales). this is probably
the last day for this promotion.

> hey does anyone know how well the dell dem 3000 works cause i'm
> thinking of getting one.

the $583 config includes a 80gb not 40gb

also, when the 4700 is purchased with a video card (as opposed to with just
integrated video) it dose not come with the integrated video. it of couse
has the video expansion slot, but you can not later remove the video card
and expect to use the integrated video becuase it simply isn't there.