wired to wireless network

My network currently consists of two pc's running into a Linksys BEFSR41
cable/dsl router which is then fed by a Toshiba cable modem for Internet
access. What I'd like to do is make the network "wireless" so not only will
those two pc's remain wired but a pc in the next room can access the
internet AND my daughter's new laptop which has "wi-fi" can also use the
Internet. Any suggestions besides "trashing" the current Router and buying a
new "wireless" one? I guess I'll have to install an "access point" in that
pc in the "next room" too?
One idea I was thinking of was to install an "access point" in one of the
currently "wired" pc's. Is this possible? I mean, can you simultaneously be
accessing the Internet from that "wired" pc AND be accessing the Internet
from a pc that's connected via the "AP"? Would there be a problem with IP
addresses? Thanks for any help.

--
1st Class Restoration
"Put your old music on CD"

"Ken Bouchard" <ke_bouchard@adelphia.net> wrote in

> My network currently consists of two pc's running into a Linksys
> BEFSR41 cable/dsl router which is then fed by a Toshiba cable modem
> for Internet access. What I'd like to do is make the network
> "wireless" so not only will those two pc's remain wired but a pc in
> the next room can access the internet AND my daughter's new laptop
> which has "wi-fi" can also use the Internet. Any suggestions besides
> "trashing" the current Router and buying a new "wireless" one? I guess
> I'll have to install an "access point" in that pc in the "next room"
> too? One idea I was thinking of was to install an "access point" in
> one of the currently "wired" pc's. Is this possible? I mean, can you
> simultaneously be accessing the Internet from that "wired" pc AND be
> accessing the Internet from a pc that's connected via the "AP"? Would
> there be a problem with IP addresses? Thanks for any help.
>

> --
> 1st Class Restoration
> "Put your old music on CD"
> www.dvbaudiorestoration.com

Why not install a BEFW11S4 router LAN port to LAN port to BEFSR41, making
the BEFW11S4 and wire/wirless switch. Wired and wireless machines would
be able to use the WAP wire/switch. All machines would use the BEFSR41 as
the gateway using its DHCP Server. All machines would be able to see each
other from the SR41 and 11S4 when setup properly.

That's what I did to keep wireless and use the WatchGuard FW appliance as
the gateway device.

Duane :)

> Something just crossed my mind: That pc in the "next room" runs
> Win98...does Win98 even know about "wi-fi"?

It's just another driver and device that would be installed on the machine,
just like you have a driver for any other device. There are many users with
Win 98 that are wireless. :)

Duane :)

"Ken Bouchard" <ke_bouchard@adelphia.net> wrote in message
> My network currently consists of two pc's running into a Linksys BEFSR41
> cable/dsl router which is then fed by a Toshiba cable modem for Internet
> access. What I'd like to do is make the network "wireless" so not only
will
> those two pc's remain wired but a pc in the next room can access the
> internet AND my daughter's new laptop which has "wi-fi" can also use the
> Internet. Any suggestions besides "trashing" the current Router and buying
> new "wireless" one?

Yes, trash the old router and get a wireless router. The difference in
price between a router and an access point is small. A new router will
probably have a better firewall, too.

> I guess I'll have to install an "access point" in that
> pc in the "next room" too?

You could just put a wireless PCI card in the PC if it's a desktop model.
Or you could use a USB wireless adapter. Or you could use an access point.

> One idea I was thinking of was to install an "access point" in one of the
> currently "wired" pc's.

What does that mean?

> Is this possible? I mean, can you simultaneously be
> accessing the Internet from that "wired" pc AND be accessing the Internet
> from a pc that's connected via the "AP"? Would there be a problem with IP
> addresses? Thanks for any help.

Why are you trying to get the Internet from PCs? That's why you have a
router.

Ron Bandes, CCNP, CTT+, etc.

I believe that Win98 1st edition cannot handle wi-fi, but Win98se can.

Ron Bandes, CCNP, CTT+, etc.

"Ken Bouchard" <ke_bouchard@adelphia.net> wrote in message
> Something just crossed my mind: That pc in the "next room" runs
Win98...does
> Win98 even know about "wi-fi"?
>
> thanks

> Yes, trash the old router and get a wireless router. The difference
> in price between a router and an access point is small. A new router
> will probably have a better firewall, too.

IMHO, none of the low-end NAT routers have a FW(s).

If the router cannot meet the specs in the link, then it doesn't have a
FW.

http://www.firewall-software.com/firewall_faqs/what_does_firewall_do.html

IMHO, the NAT routers for home usage fall into the specs in the link.

One's lucky if the router has SPI.

I have seen a couple of attacks come through the NAT router like a hot
knife through butter with BlackIce and IPsec on the machines stopping
them.

Duane :)