New Rune Words Final Nail in the Coffin?

Archived from groups: alt.games.diablo2,alt.games.diablo (More info?)

It looks to me like they'll pretty much kill any reason to trade for many
of the upper level uniques, but the reason I say they're the final nail is
that I think they'll make a game that had already become too easy in many
ways even moreso. Not that I'm playing nowadays, anyway.

Wrong read?

Other opinions?

--
chainbreaker
31 answers Last reply
More about rune words final nail coffin
  1. Archived from groups: alt.games.diablo2, alt.games.diablo (More info?)

    chainbreaker wrote:
    > It looks to me like they'll pretty much kill any reason to trade for
    many
    > of the upper level uniques, but the reason I say they're the final
    nail is
    > that I think they'll make a game that had already become too easy in
    many
    > ways even moreso. Not that I'm playing nowadays, anyway.
    >
    > Wrong read?
    >
    > Other opinions?
    >
    > --
    > chainbreaker

    I'm not sure about making the game too easy. I think hell is still a
    tough place to play for most chars. But the new runewords pretty much
    kill any desire to find uniques, same as uniques killed any desire to
    find rares or magics. It's my impression that pretty soon everyone will
    have a +2 skills shield, and a 370% ED sword, etc... When that happens,
    the game will really be dead.

    -Jason
  2. Archived from groups: alt.games.diablo2,alt.games.diablo (More info?)

    It will be interesting to see if any of the Act3 mercs can now become
    powerful in light of this development:

    Spirit: 4 socket shields/swords Tal + Thul + Ort + Amn

    +2 To All Skills
    +25-35% Faster Cast Rate (varies)
    +55% Faster Hit Recovery
    +15% Enhanced Defense
    +250 Defense Vs. Missile
    +22 To Vitality
    +89-112 To Mana (varies)
    Cold Resist +35%
    Lightning Resist +35%
    +3-8 Magic Absorb (varies)
    Attacker Takes Damage of 14
  3. Archived from groups: alt.games.diablo2,alt.games.diablo (More info?)

    yeah, it seems to get more easier every time.

    Still waiting for wow :p


    "chainbreaker" <noone@nowhere.com> schreef in bericht
    news:cpg1i702hee@news3.newsguy.com...
    > It looks to me like they'll pretty much kill any reason to trade for many
    > of the upper level uniques, but the reason I say they're the final nail is
    > that I think they'll make a game that had already become too easy in many
    > ways even moreso. Not that I'm playing nowadays, anyway.
    >
    > Wrong read?
    >
    > Other opinions?
    >
    > --
    > chainbreaker
    >
    >
  4. Archived from groups: alt.games.diablo2,alt.games.diablo (More info?)

    Last2Know wrote:
    > It will be interesting to see if any of the Act3 mercs can now become
    > powerful in light of this development:
    >
    > Spirit: 4 socket shields/swords Tal + Thul + Ort + Amn
    >
    > +2 To All Skills
    > +25-35% Faster Cast Rate (varies)
    > +55% Faster Hit Recovery
    > +15% Enhanced Defense
    > +250 Defense Vs. Missile
    > +22 To Vitality
    > +89-112 To Mana (varies)
    > Cold Resist +35%
    > Lightning Resist +35%
    > +3-8 Magic Absorb (varies)
    > Attacker Takes Damage of 14

    You would first have to find an ethereal monarch or some equipment that
    boosts his strength as a monarch is the (non-paladin-specific) shield with
    the lowest str requirement, but it still needs 156. At lvl 98 an act 3 merc
    can only have 153 natural str (see
    http://www.diabloii.net/townsfolk/sorc-fire.shtml).
  5. Archived from groups: alt.games.diablo2,alt.games.diablo (More info?)

    Yes, the requirement for the shield is huge, but... an Act 3 merc can use a
    sword, and I have a Spirit Sword that has a lvl requirement of 25. I'm
    using it on my Hammerdin until I get up to lvl 61 for the wizardspike...

    Just my 2 cents, or rubles, or marks, whatever...

    "Gundemarie Scholz" <spamyousilly@inbox.ru> wrote in message
    news:322899F3h34inU1@individual.net...
    > Last2Know wrote:
    > > It will be interesting to see if any of the Act3 mercs can now become
    > > powerful in light of this development:
    > >
    > > Spirit: 4 socket shields/swords Tal + Thul + Ort + Amn
    > >
    > > +2 To All Skills
    > > +25-35% Faster Cast Rate (varies)
    > > +55% Faster Hit Recovery
    > > +15% Enhanced Defense
    > > +250 Defense Vs. Missile
    > > +22 To Vitality
    > > +89-112 To Mana (varies)
    > > Cold Resist +35%
    > > Lightning Resist +35%
    > > +3-8 Magic Absorb (varies)
    > > Attacker Takes Damage of 14
    >
    > You would first have to find an ethereal monarch or some equipment that
    > boosts his strength as a monarch is the (non-paladin-specific) shield with
    > the lowest str requirement, but it still needs 156. At lvl 98 an act 3
    merc
    > can only have 153 natural str (see
    > http://www.diabloii.net/townsfolk/sorc-fire.shtml).
    >
    >
  6. Archived from groups: alt.games.diablo2,alt.games.diablo (More info?)

    On Sat, 11 Dec 2004 18:58:03 -0500, "chainbreaker" <noone@nowhere.com>
    wrote:

    > It looks to me like they'll pretty much kill any reason to trade for many
    >of the upper level uniques, but the reason I say they're the final nail is
    >that I think they'll make a game that had already become too easy in many
    >ways even moreso. Not that I'm playing nowadays, anyway.
    >
    >Wrong read?
    >
    >Other opinions?

    Trying to make D2 too monotonous and easy in hopes that D2 players
    will switch to WoW, with its fat monthly fee...? CtA and HotO were
    bad enough, but the new words are worse. Being able to get many of
    the best skills using rune words kinda nerfs the distinctiveness of
    the classes, IMO. Plus the kiling power of some of these new words in
    elite eth weapons will be ridiculous.

    -- Roy L
  7. Archived from groups: alt.games.diablo2,alt.games.diablo (More info?)

    chainbreaker wrote:
    > It looks to me like they'll pretty much kill any reason to trade for many
    > of the upper level uniques, but the reason I say they're the final nail is
    > that I think they'll make a game that had already become too easy in many
    > ways even moreso. Not that I'm playing nowadays, anyway.
    >
    > Wrong read?
    >
    > Other opinions?
    >

    I more or less disagree with you.

    The old runewords were already powerful enough to overthrow any unique
    or rare item; but they didn't, because they were too hard to complete
    (the best I made was Kingslayer)

    When you look at the 23 new ones, you'll notice that a few of them are
    incredibly powerful, but uniques or old runewords will always be better
    candidates for some specific builds (especially every unique will be
    better than my Oath ethereal thunder maul, don't try this at home :P)

    The situation, as for the difficulty of this game, is unchanged IMHO.

    The good thing is, you can have a Fortitude or a Phoenix or a Death
    runeword and your character should be more or less equally powerful, you
    only need to choose your flavour :)

    I'm happy to see a couple of runewords with "on attack" mods. This will
    definitely help with some builds, including the kick/blade assassin who
    can now enjoy a couple of wonderful blade shield mods.
  8. Archived from groups: alt.games.diablo2,alt.games.diablo (More info?)

    "Babe Bridou" <babebridou@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    news:41bc0896$0$8112$8fcfb975@news.wanadoo.fr...

    > (especially every unique will be better than my Oath ethereal thunder
    maul, don't try this at home :P)

    Not for a maul user they won't...
  9. Archived from groups: alt.games.diablo2 (More info?)

    On Sun, 12 Dec 2004 03:13:26 -0600, "Shiflet" <rshiflet@charter.net>
    wrote:

    >
    >"Babe Bridou" <babebridou@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >news:41bc0896$0$8112$8fcfb975@news.wanadoo.fr...
    >
    >> (especially every unique will be better than my Oath ethereal thunder
    >maul, don't try this at home :P)
    >
    >Not for a maul user they won't...

    No, I think Babe's right. You're better off using just about any
    other unique, even if you *are* a maul user.

    Cause then you can do something actually useful with the runes you
    didn't waste on a runeword that doesn't work :p
  10. Archived from groups: alt.games.diablo2,alt.games.diablo (More info?)

    Shiflet wrote:

    > "Babe Bridou" <babebridou@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > news:41bc0896$0$8112$8fcfb975@news.wanadoo.fr...
    >
    >
    >>(especially every unique will be better than my Oath ethereal thunder
    >
    > maul, don't try this at home :P)
    >
    > Not for a maul user they won't...
    >

    Oath can't be made in mauls; mine turned out as a gemmed maul, which is
    generally less useful to a maul user than, say a bloodrise mace, which
    at least is useful for leveling between levels 15 and 20.
  11. Archived from groups: alt.games.diablo2,alt.games.diablo (More info?)

    "Babe Bridou" <babebridou@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    news:41bc1aef$0$25760$8fcfb975@news.wanadoo.fr...
    > Oath can't be made in mauls; mine turned out as a gemmed maul, which is
    > generally less useful to a maul user than, say a bloodrise mace, which
    > at least is useful for leveling between levels 15 and 20.

    Ohh, oops. I thought mauls counted as maces...what DO they count as then, in
    regards to runewords? I guess hammers...
  12. Archived from groups: alt.games.diablo2,alt.games.diablo (More info?)

    Shiflet wrote:
    > "Babe Bridou" <babebridou@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > news:41bc0896$0$8112$8fcfb975@news.wanadoo.fr...
    >
    > > (especially every unique will be better than my Oath ethereal
    > > thunder maul, don't try this at home :P)
    >
    > Not for a maul user they won't...

    Actually they will as the runeword didn't work in the maul.
  13. Archived from groups: alt.games.diablo2,alt.games.diablo (More info?)

    On Sun, 12 Dec 2004 08:01:23 +0100, Gundemarie Scholz wrote:

    > Last2Know wrote:
    >> It will be interesting to see if any of the Act3 mercs can now become
    >> powerful in light of this development:
    >>
    >> Spirit: 4 socket shields/swords Tal + Thul + Ort + Amn
    >>
    >> +2 To All Skills
    >> +25-35% Faster Cast Rate (varies)
    >> +55% Faster Hit Recovery
    >> +15% Enhanced Defense
    >> +250 Defense Vs. Missile
    >> +22 To Vitality
    >> +89-112 To Mana (varies)
    >> Cold Resist +35%
    >> Lightning Resist +35%
    >> +3-8 Magic Absorb (varies)
    >> Attacker Takes Damage of 14
    >
    > You would first have to find an ethereal monarch or some equipment that
    > boosts his strength as a monarch is the (non-paladin-specific) shield with
    > the lowest str requirement, but it still needs 156. At lvl 98 an act 3 merc
    > can only have 153 natural str (see
    > http://www.diabloii.net/townsfolk/sorc-fire.shtml).

    Good point. I was thinking about using both sword and shield of
    course. A shako with a Fal rune gives +12 strength and +2 skills.
    Lionheart or a Duriel Shell with a Fal give +25 to strength, but no plus
    skills. Chains of Honor armor gives +2 skills and +20 strength, and
    Enigma gives +2 skills with a massive strength boost dependent on level.
    Those rune words would would be ideal, but they nullify the aspect of
    Spirit that it is made with accessible runes (I also consider Fal
    readily available, though obviously it is rarer than Amn).
  14. Archived from groups: alt.games.diablo2,alt.games.diablo (More info?)

    Gundemarie Scholz wrote:
    >
    > You would first have to find an ethereal monarch or some equipment that
    > boosts his strength as a monarch is the (non-paladin-specific) shield with
    > the lowest str requirement, but it still needs 156. At lvl 98 an act 3 merc
    > can only have 153 natural str (see
    > http://www.diabloii.net/townsfolk/sorc-fire.shtml).

    Well, if you're really really really rich, you'd 'just' give him a
    chains of honor armor. That's +20 str, as well as another +2 skills and
    +65 res all. A delirium helm would add another +2 skills. Spirit isn't
    too expensive, so you could make a bunch to get perfect fcr.

    That's +8 skills and +70 fcr from those four items. That's all he can
    use, but it sure would help. I doubt it'll make 'em as good as act 2
    mercs though. Or even act 1 mercs, who got a nice boost from these
    runewords as well.
  15. Archived from groups: alt.games.diablo2,alt.games.diablo (More info?)

    > It will be interesting to see if any of the Act3 mercs can now become
    > powerful in light of this development:
    >
    > Spirit: 4 socket shields/swords Tal + Thul + Ort + Amn
    >
    > +2 To All Skills
    > +25-35% Faster Cast Rate (varies)

    Actually, a little known fact about the lightning variety of the Act3
    mercs... FCR doesn't seem to help them much. What DOES help is IAS. I
    equipped my guy with a Shael'd Blood Crescent (best I could find at the
    time) which has +35% IAS, and he just fills the screen with that lightning.
    My Necro uses Lower Resist a lot, so this can be really effective. Hardest
    part is levelling him, though. I'm sure if I could get him up to my level
    (60-something), he'd kick a lot more ass, but it's hard for him to get any
    of the killing blows what with being surrounded by a dozen skeletons all the
    time. I'm thinking, if you could realy level one of these guys up, equip
    him with a 6-Shael Crystal Sword, and a few other IAS items, (thinking
    M'avina's True Sight, Twitchthroe or Crow Caw, maybe collect some Jewels of
    Fervor...) he could really kick some serious butt, and we're not talking
    about uber-hard-to-find gear here either...

    Darrel Hoffman - Lvl 27+2 Game Guru
    (Or maybe I just won't ever play again. Not decided on that yet...)
  16. Archived from groups: alt.games.diablo2,alt.games.diablo (More info?)

    "Darrel Hoffman" <i.dont@think.so> wrote in message
    news:P6qdnUE8zYPxvCDcRVn-hQ@giganews.com...
    > he could really kick some serious butt, and we're not talking
    > about uber-hard-to-find gear here either...

    An act 3 merc will never kick serious butt, as even with the godliest gear,
    his damage in hell is pathetic.
  17. Archived from groups: alt.games.diablo2,alt.games.diablo (More info?)

    My my, doesn't "chainbreaker" <noone@nowhere.com> look good in that
    trenchcoat:

    > It looks to me like they'll pretty much kill any reason to trade for many
    >of the upper level uniques, but the reason I say they're the final nail is
    >that I think they'll make a game that had already become too easy in many
    >ways even moreso. Not that I'm playing nowadays, anyway.

    >Wrong read?

    >Other opinions?

    First up, yes, the runewords were designed by a crackhead.

    But boo hoo. Don't like the words? Don't use em. Oh, wait, you quit the
    game already to go play WoW, didn't you? Never mind. ;-)

    Some of the words are going to be a boon for no twink players, some are there
    for the dupers to play with. Yes, trading could well be a crock. Dueling
    might not be balanced. PVM games could well become a romp. Well, has
    anything changed? We simply got some new stuff to do with as we please.

    What's the answer? Basic common sense, and intelligent use of the new toys.
  18. Archived from groups: alt.games.diablo2,alt.games.diablo (More info?)

    "Stephen van Ham" <svanham@xtra.co.nz> wrote in message
    news:lpapr01pmlonus6bhi5janhoanc0r92uki@4ax.com...
    > My my, doesn't "chainbreaker" <noone@nowhere.com> look good in that
    > trenchcoat:
    >
    >> It looks to me like they'll pretty much kill any reason to trade for many
    >>of the upper level uniques, but the reason I say they're the final nail is
    >>that I think they'll make a game that had already become too easy in many
    >>ways even moreso. Not that I'm playing nowadays, anyway.
    >
    >>Wrong read?
    >
    >>Other opinions?
    >
    > First up, yes, the runewords were designed by a crackhead.
    >
    > But boo hoo. Don't like the words? Don't use em. Oh, wait, you quit
    > the
    > game already to go play WoW, didn't you? Never mind. ;-)
    >
    > Some of the words are going to be a boon for no twink players, some are
    > there
    > for the dupers to play with. Yes, trading could well be a crock.
    > Dueling
    > might not be balanced. PVM games could well become a romp. Well, has
    > anything changed? We simply got some new stuff to do with as we please.
    >
    > What's the answer? Basic common sense, and intelligent use of the new
    > toys.
    >

    <snip>Dueling might not be balanced.<snip>

    Grief

    5 Socket Swords/Axes

    Eth + Tir + Lo + Mal + Ral

    35% Chance To Cast Level 15 Venom On Striking
    +30-40% Increased Attack Speed (varies)
    Damage +340-400 (varies)
    Ignore Target's Defense
    +25% Target Defense
    +1.875 (per character level)% Damage To Demons (Based on Character Level)
    Adds 5-30 Fire Damage
    -20-25% To Enemy Poison Resistance (varies)
    20% Deadly Strike
    Prevent Monster Heal
    +2 To Mana After Each Kill
    +11 Life After Each Kill

    This weapon looks like it will make V/T pallys and pure smiters pretty
    dangerous.
  19. Archived from groups: alt.games.diablo2,alt.games.diablo (More info?)

    Stephen van Ham wrote:

    > My my, doesn't "chainbreaker" <noone@nowhere.com> look good in that
    > trenchcoat:
    >
    >
    >>It looks to me like they'll pretty much kill any reason to trade for many
    >>of the upper level uniques, but the reason I say they're the final nail is
    >>that I think they'll make a game that had already become too easy in many
    >>ways even moreso. Not that I'm playing nowadays, anyway.
    >
    >
    >>Wrong read?
    >
    >
    >>Other opinions?
    >
    >
    > First up, yes, the runewords were designed by a crackhead.
    >
    > But boo hoo. Don't like the words? Don't use em. Oh, wait, you quit the
    > game already to go play WoW, didn't you? Never mind. ;-)
    >
    > Some of the words are going to be a boon for no twink players, some are there
    > for the dupers to play with. Yes, trading could well be a crock. Dueling
    > might not be balanced. PVM games could well become a romp. Well, has
    > anything changed? We simply got some new stuff to do with as we please.
    >
    > What's the answer? Basic common sense, and intelligent use of the new toys.
    >

    yeah! give the rift scepter to the BladeShield assassin! do that!
  20. Archived from groups: alt.games.diablo2 (More info?)

    On Mon, 13 Dec 2004 09:38:39 +1300, Stephen van Ham
    <svanham@xtra.co.nz> wrote:

    >My my, doesn't "chainbreaker" <noone@nowhere.com> look good in that
    >trenchcoat:
    >
    >> It looks to me like they'll pretty much kill any reason to trade for many
    >>of the upper level uniques, but the reason I say they're the final nail is
    >>that I think they'll make a game that had already become too easy in many
    >>ways even moreso. Not that I'm playing nowadays, anyway.
    >
    >>Wrong read?
    >
    >>Other opinions?
    >
    >First up, yes, the runewords were designed by a crackhead.
    >
    >But boo hoo. Don't like the words? Don't use em. Oh, wait, you quit the
    >game already to go play WoW, didn't you? Never mind. ;-)
    >
    >Some of the words are going to be a boon for no twink players, some are there
    >for the dupers to play with. Yes, trading could well be a crock. Dueling
    >might not be balanced. PVM games could well become a romp. Well, has
    >anything changed? We simply got some new stuff to do with as we please.
    >
    >What's the answer? Basic common sense, and intelligent use of the new toys.


    Err - as far as PvP goes - those who play PvP for real have already
    probably left this forum....... and the others, the likes of the tppk
    crowd - probably couldn't give a rats ass about new runewords.

    As I've said in many threads before - the only thing the current
    Blizzard people can do to maintain any developing interest in the game
    is to mess about with the data tables - ie a few new runewords here, a
    few new items there, They can't fix the problems, and to be fair - why
    should they. 'U' has a post in another thread which bemoans the fact
    that they 'could' have asked Diablo PvP players to play on different
    servers five years ago, but didn't - my guess is that on WoW they'll
    have just the same PK problems in 6 months that they have on the
    Diablo servers now.

    PK'ing is *different* to PvP. It requires a different mindset.

    Sorry if this was the wrong thread, and if the above doesn't make
    sense to some of you.
    It's been a long weekend.

    Tim
  21. Archived from groups: alt.games.diablo2 (More info?)

    On Mon, 13 Dec 2004 00:56:40 +0000, Tim Nicholson wrote:

    > As I've said in many threads before - the only thing the current
    > Blizzard people can do to maintain any developing interest in the game
    > is to mess about with the data tables - ie a few new runewords here, a
    > few new items there, They can't fix the problems, and to be fair - why
    > should they.

    I'm not an anti-blizzard complainer type. But IMO, the the main
    thing they need to fix is to make it easier for people who don't
    know each other but want to play a together with chars of comparable
    strength to hook up on realms. The chat and game filter system
    could be a lot better than what they have now.
  22. Archived from groups: alt.games.diablo2,alt.games.diablo (More info?)

    "Dano" <dan@o.com> wrote in message
    news:x83vd.740707$SM5.45757@news.easynews.com...
    > <snip>Dueling might not be balanced.<snip>
    >
    > Grief
    >
    > This weapon looks like it will make V/T pallys and pure smiters pretty
    > dangerous.

    Pretty dangerous? Heck, a smiter with Astreon's or Lacerator is already
    pretty dangerous. Now, if you're melee, facing a Grief smiter, you're dead.
    Even casters aren't safe since the smiter will also have charge. I expect a
    LOT of dueling circles to out and out ban this word, at least if they plan
    on dueling melee.
  23. Archived from groups: alt.games.diablo2,alt.games.diablo (More info?)

    My my, doesn't "Dano" <dan@o.com> look good in that trenchcoat:

    >
    >> Some of the words are going to be a boon for no twink players, some are
    >> there
    >> for the dupers to play with. Yes, trading could well be a crock.
    >> Dueling
    >> might not be balanced. PVM games could well become a romp. Well, has
    >> anything changed? We simply got some new stuff to do with as we please.
    >>
    >> What's the answer? Basic common sense, and intelligent use of the new
    >> toys.

    ><snip>Dueling might not be balanced.<snip>
    >
    >Grief
    >
    >5 Socket Swords/Axes
    >
    >Eth + Tir + Lo + Mal + Ral
    >
    >35% Chance To Cast Level 15 Venom On Striking
    >+30-40% Increased Attack Speed (varies)
    >Damage +340-400 (varies)
    >Ignore Target's Defense
    >+25% Target Defense
    >+1.875 (per character level)% Damage To Demons (Based on Character Level)
    >Adds 5-30 Fire Damage
    >-20-25% To Enemy Poison Resistance (varies)
    >20% Deadly Strike
    >Prevent Monster Heal
    >+2 To Mana After Each Kill
    >+11 Life After Each Kill
    >
    >This weapon looks like it will make V/T pallys and pure smiters pretty
    >dangerous.

    Yep yep, we already had something on that in another thread. Did you not
    realise I was being tongue in cheek? ;-)
  24. Archived from groups: alt.games.diablo2,alt.games.diablo (More info?)

    Stephen van Ham wrote:
    > My my, doesn't "Dano" <dan@o.com> look good in that trenchcoat:
    >
    >>
    >> This weapon looks like it will make V/T pallys and pure smiters
    >> pretty dangerous.
    >
    > Yep yep, we already had something on that in another thread. Did
    > you not realise I was being tongue in cheek? ;-)

    We're supposed to keep track of your tongue now?

    desktop at home dot se
  25. Archived from groups: alt.games.diablo2,alt.games.diablo (More info?)

    Stephen van Ham wrote:
    > Yep yep, we already had something on that in another thread. Did
    > you not realise I was being tongue in cheek? ;-)

    I musta missed it . . . did you say sumthin' 'bout your cheeks?

    --
    chainbreaker
  26. Archived from groups: alt.games.diablo2 (More info?)

    My my, doesn't Tim Nicholson <tim@spamtrap.intergrowl.com> look good in that
    trenchcoat:

    >>> It looks to me like they'll pretty much kill any reason to trade for many
    >>>of the upper level uniques, but the reason I say they're the final nail is
    >>>that I think they'll make a game that had already become too easy in many
    >>>ways even moreso. Not that I'm playing nowadays, anyway.

    >>>Wrong read?

    >>>Other opinions?

    >>First up, yes, the runewords were designed by a crackhead.

    >>But boo hoo. Don't like the words? Don't use em. Oh, wait, you quit the
    >>game already to go play WoW, didn't you? Never mind. ;-)

    >>Some of the words are going to be a boon for no twink players, some are there
    >>for the dupers to play with. Yes, trading could well be a crock. Dueling
    >>might not be balanced. PVM games could well become a romp. Well, has
    >>anything changed? We simply got some new stuff to do with as we please.

    >>What's the answer? Basic common sense, and intelligent use of the new toys.
    >
    >Err - as far as PvP goes - those who play PvP for real have already
    >probably left this forum....... and the others, the likes of the tppk
    >crowd - probably couldn't give a rats ass about new runewords.

    Good-o. But what does this really have to do with anything? (you're wrong
    by the way, as this thread was originally crossposted, and at least one PVP
    player reads the other forum). But moving right along...

    >As I've said in many threads before - the only thing the current
    >Blizzard people can do to maintain any developing interest in the game
    >is to mess about with the data tables - ie a few new runewords here,

    Preaching to the choir. I *like* the new runewords, despite all the inherent
    flaws they have (e.g. the "designed by a crackhead" comment).

    >a
    >few new items there, They can't fix the problems, and to be fair - why
    >should they.

    Okay, I assume you're talking generally, because I wasn't complaining. In
    fact, I was doing the opposite. I've found it greatly amusing the amount of
    whining that I've seen reading around some other forums regarding the new
    runewords. But if there's one thing I've learnt, it's we all love to have a
    good whine.

    >PK'ing is *different* to PvP. It requires a different mindset.

    Yes, no doubt about that. What does that have to do with what was being
    discussed, though?

    >Sorry if this was the wrong thread, and if the above doesn't make
    >sense to some of you.
    >It's been a long weekend.

    Fair enough, and yes, some of what you wrote didn't make sense, but it's cool,
    as I think we're on the same page about finding something is better than
    nothing, when it comes to tweaks to an old game.
  27. Archived from groups: alt.games.diablo2 (More info?)

    My my, doesn't Last2Know <grokkalot@yahoo.com> look good in that trenchcoat:

    >On Mon, 13 Dec 2004 00:56:40 +0000, Tim Nicholson wrote:
    >
    >> As I've said in many threads before - the only thing the current
    >> Blizzard people can do to maintain any developing interest in the game
    >> is to mess about with the data tables - ie a few new runewords here, a
    >> few new items there, They can't fix the problems, and to be fair - why
    >> should they.
    >
    >I'm not an anti-blizzard complainer type. But IMO, the the main
    >thing they need to fix is to make it easier for people who don't
    >know each other but want to play a together with chars of comparable
    >strength to hook up on realms. The chat and game filter system
    >could be a lot better than what they have now.

    Bingo! Game filtering is right up near the top of my list of things "to do
    in the unlikely event that hell freezes over and blizzard diverts some last
    gasp resource to this old game".
  28. Archived from groups: alt.games.diablo2 (More info?)

    My my, doesn't "Darrel Hoffman" <i.dont@think.so> look good in that
    trenchcoat:

    >Actually, a little known fact about the lightning variety of the Act3
    >mercs... FCR doesn't seem to help them much. What DOES help is IAS. I
    >equipped my guy with a Shael'd Blood Crescent (best I could find at the
    >time) which has +35% IAS, and he just fills the screen with that lightning.
    >My Necro uses Lower Resist a lot, so this can be really effective. Hardest
    >part is levelling him, though. I'm sure if I could get him up to my level
    >(60-something), he'd kick a lot more ass, but it's hard for him to get any
    >of the killing blows what with being surrounded by a dozen skeletons all the
    >time. I'm thinking, if you could realy level one of these guys up, equip
    >him with a 6-Shael Crystal Sword, and a few other IAS items, (thinking
    >M'avina's True Sight, Twitchthroe or Crow Caw, maybe collect some Jewels of
    >Fervor...) he could really kick some serious butt, and we're not talking
    >about uber-hard-to-find gear here either...

    So blizzard changed how lightning/CL work for the sorceress in 1.10 to use FCR
    instead of IAS, but left the lightning merc alone? Bug, or deliberate
    design?
  29. Archived from groups: alt.games.diablo2,alt.games.diablo (More info?)

    On Mon, 13 Dec 2004, "Darrel Hoffman" wrote:

    >> Actually, a little known fact about the lightning variety of the Act3
    >> mercs... FCR doesn't seem to help them much. What DOES help is IAS.

    >> Darrel Hoffman - Lvl 27+2 Game Guru
    >> (Or maybe I just won't ever play again. Not decided on that yet...)

    I suppose you haven't had an actIII merc in 1.10, since the FCR/IAS
    thing with lightning skills got fixed for Players...


    --

    USEast HC Ladder: Rockstomper
  30. Archived from groups: alt.games.diablo2,alt.games.diablo (More info?)

    Darrel Hoffman <i.dont@think.so> wrote in message
    news:P6qdnUE8zYPxvCDcRVn-hQ@giganews.com...
    > > It will be interesting to see if any of the Act3 mercs can now become
    > > powerful in light of this development:
    > >
    > > Spirit: 4 socket shields/swords Tal + Thul + Ort + Amn
    > >
    > > +2 To All Skills
    > > +25-35% Faster Cast Rate (varies)
    >
    > Actually, a little known fact about the lightning variety of the Act3
    > mercs... FCR doesn't seem to help them much. What DOES help is IAS. I
    > equipped my guy with a Shael'd Blood Crescent (best I could find at the
    > time) which has +35% IAS, and he just fills the screen with that
    lightning.
    > My Necro uses Lower Resist a lot, so this can be really effective.
    Hardest
    > part is levelling him, though. I'm sure if I could get him up to my level
    > (60-something), he'd kick a lot more ass, but it's hard for him to get any
    > of the killing blows what with being surrounded by a dozen skeletons all
    the
    > time. I'm thinking, if you could realy level one of these guys up, equip
    > him with a 6-Shael Crystal Sword, and a few other IAS items, (thinking
    > M'avina's True Sight, Twitchthroe or Crow Caw, maybe collect some Jewels
    of
    > Fervor...) he could really kick some serious butt, and we're not talking
    > about uber-hard-to-find gear here either...
    >
    > Darrel Hoffman - Lvl 27+2 Game Guru
    > (Or maybe I just won't ever play again. Not decided on that yet...)
    >
    >
    Here is a superb solution to your merc leveling problem : just tune down the
    # of dead people you are utilizing.
  31. Archived from groups: alt.games.diablo2,alt.games.diablo (More info?)

    > I suppose you haven't had an actIII merc in 1.10, since the FCR/IAS
    > thing with lightning skills got fixed for Players...

    No, this was 1.10, new ladder even. It works, trust me. I take off his
    sword, and the amount of lightning he puts out is dramatically less. Maybe
    they forgot to fix it for mercs or something?

    Darrel Hoffman - Lvl 27+2 Game Guru
    (Now if only it did some decent damage, it would be really kick-ass...)
Ask a new question

Read More

Games Diablo Video Games